[Character] Chameleon (Playable)

Macrauchenia

[Character] Chameleon (Playable)

Post by Macrauchenia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 pm

So after some tweaks to the model, I finally got the Chameleon working in game.

There is a color palette editor for the character, but because I made the character blue, most colors aren't as vibrant. Green looks pretty awesome though.

http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads. ... eleon1.zip
(Updated: 4/8/13)

A few things about the character- I had trouble rigging both the legs and feet to get it looking right; I could either have really strange looking feet, or an extra joint at the shin. So there's that extra joint at the shin. During fighting it's not really noticeable though. Also, for some reason there is a small section at the base of the tail that isn't there- the UV map seems to be missing. In any other program it's there, but in Overgrowth it's missing. The character still loads fine, and it's not that noticeable either. Also, the base of the tail will intersect with the left leg when running- that's just how the skeleton is set up, I couldn't fix that.

And like the Frog, the UV seams are visible. Anyone have an idea on how to fix that?

The character shininess was driving me crazy- I eventually figured out my version of photoshop was too old to save transparency for images. So I downloaded GIMP and that fixed it. I also redid the texture for the Frog so he's not so shiny, I'll upload a new version of him in his thread.
Last edited by Macrauchenia on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Endoperez

Re: [Character] Chameleon (Playable)

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:51 pm

The "hole" could be because some normals are facing in, not out. In Blender, in Edit mode, use "Recalculate Normals Outside", or Ctrl+N.

You can see the normals inside Blender by pressing 'N' to show the properties thingy in the 3D view, going under Mesh Display (not Display!), and choosing Display Normals. There are little vertex and face icons next to the Normal selection, enable the Face button.

You can also press Alt+Z to toggle between Textured display mode and not; inverted normals are shown in Textured mode.

Texture seams can be tricky, can't give advice on that one without knowing which program you use for texturing and other stuff. Unless you chose angles for the screenshot where the seams aren't apparent, they're not that bad, though, since I can't find them in the screenshots.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 am

Everything seems to look fine in Blender.

I've been using Sculptris to model/texture, and the weird thing is the model is missing a few faces when I load it in Sculptris. Not the same ones on the tail though.

Ya I took the screenshots to purposely hide those ugly seams. :lol: I'll get one in a bit that shows them better.

edit: This one shows them a bit better.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:41 pm

Just uploaded a new version of this character.

His feet are weighted a bit better, and the seams on the character are mostly invisible.

Oplurus

Post by Oplurus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks a lot for making this model. It's my favorite one so far!

I had a chameleon a while back as a kid. He passed away after 7 years though.

I tested the model and it's awesome! Here's some more screens. EDIT: and a video

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:28 pm

SUP MOTTHAFUCKA WANNA GO

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Glad you like him! I still hope to one day get a proper palette map working for him.

Also, I've updated the texture map so he's not so shiny, but it never updated in the .zip file I guess. I'll try that again.

edit: Uploaded a new version instead of trying to overwrite the old one, should work now.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 pm

This is in the community content browser now! :)

droog

Post by droog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 am

Haha sweet :mrgreen:

f2hex

Post by f2hex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:08 am

Cool character! I love reptiles! :D

greenninja123

Post by greenninja123 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:16 am

Does anyone know hoe to play as him? I can't seem to work it out. :?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 am

greenninja123 wrote:Does anyone know hoe to play as him? I can't seem to work it out. :?
To play as a character you have spawned in you need to select him by double clicking the white box.
Then press CTRL+SHIFT+P. The box should now be green. You can make playable characters NPCs by using the exact same method.

Edited for accuracy. Thanks last!
Last edited by EPR89 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

last

Post by last » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00 pm

There is new key combination since the alpha 201 to make character spawn points into playable characters. It is "ctrl shift p", "ctrl p" will bring up color picker

Decim0123

Post by Decim0123 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 pm

How do I get the chameleon to jump as high as the rabbit? I was trying to play Whack-a-Frog, and it doesnt jump as high as it used to.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Decim0123 wrote:How do I get the chameleon to jump as high as the rabbit? I was trying to play Whack-a-Frog, and it doesnt jump as high as it used to.
Necromancer.