[Map] Delos - The Ancient Twin Peak City - Update 4-9-13

Gogg.B1

[Map] Delos - The Ancient Twin Peak City - Update 4-9-13

Post by Gogg.B1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Delos - The Ancient Twin Peak City
Hello everybody, I have been working on this map on and off for a long time and I think its time for me to release it.I had originally intended it to be a small map but it ended up being the biggest that I've ever made. I won't give away too much in the pictures but it should give you an idea. I made sure to add as many possible directions to proceed through the level as I could and there is plenty of stuff to look at. Right now it's essentially in its concept stage with all of the structure there and some of the detail but the final product will have much more detail.

The Story: Turner Venturing through the mountains Turner finds a large ancient city in the desert. What can Turner find out about this city?

Delos1.jpg
Delos2.jpg
Overgrowth 3.jpg
Overgrowth 4.jpg
Delos3.jpg
Delos4.jpg
Delos5.jpg
Delos6.jpg
Delos7.jpg
Delos8.jpg
Overgrowth 2012-12-25 16-09-42-18.jpg
Delos9.jpg
Delos10.jpg
Delos11.jpg
Delos12.jpg

Download

9/18/14
http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads.php?f=delos2.xml
minor update forthe new version of Overgrowth since it runs so much smoother now.
enemies added.
If the map starts with a strange hue then go to edit mode and move the sun slightly and that should make the lighting normal again.
You need AAoris' Wakizashi found here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14901&p=191890&hil ... hi#p191890

4/9/2013
http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads.php?f=delos.zip
extract this zip file into your Overgrowth instal folder and start the game and load "Delos.XML" to play.

Update Change Log:

Added plenty of visuals and rooms, I uploaded a video showing most of them but I left out the changes for the final parts of the level. I gave it much more of a puzzle feel than it had before. Also added an underground section, and I want to do more with that in the future. Also there are no enimeis in the map by default now, i will add enemies with complex walk pathways soon but i have been having trouble with that.
This new Community Content Browser makes it easier to update maps so expect more soon.

If you have a problem loading the map with an error referring to "bright_dusk.tga" then extract this file to your overgrowth install directory to install the proper sky box. http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads. ... ky+box.zip

This map is very big and has tons of items in it (The .XML is around 5Mb) so lag can be a problem for those on some computers but since the latest Alpha 198 I get much better FPS on this map and i can play through the whole thing at over 60 frames per second and even managed to record 720p while playing it at a steady 30 fps.

I hope you enjoy the design and please let me know your thoughts on the map. I'm always looking for suggestions and ideas.

I made plenty of videos working on this map on Twitch.tv Check them out here http://www.twitch.tv/madasterd

It would be interesting to have community maps that can be uploaded so other map makers can then add on to them to make some kind of community teamwork map or something. If you want to add something to this map, maybe decorate something or design a room then please feel free to do so then upload it back to this thread. I think it would be a cool thing to see in maps in general and as long as it fit the theme of the map then it could be added to the finished map and you would get credit for your work in the map.
That's just something i've been thinking about that would be interesting to see in this community, so let just let me know if you're interested and feel free to do it with any of the maps that I release.
Last edited by Gogg.B1 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 am, edited 15 times in total.

akazi

Re: [Map] Delos - The Ancient Twin Peak City

Post by akazi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:06 pm

HORRAH!

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:13 pm

VERY laggy from the start as to be expected. I'm sure when optimizing starts this map will be more playable.( Won't happen for a while I know.) I do enjoy watching your live streams though. :D

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I have an i5 with a Geforce GTX 560 graphics card and its pretty good through the beginning for me but the left mountain seems to lag really bad no matter what i do, the right isn't so bad but both are a lot better up near the top. I hope that helps a bit for now at least.

spudy

Post by spudy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

Very nice design, level looks awesome.
But I lend the hardd way atm you cannot use so many objects in a map it just causes the fps to go down loads.
After abouth 400 objects it starts to lag really bad. Yeah I know it sucks but when the game is optimizing we should be able to go all out on the design.
But for now I would suggest you just make small levels few objects and a few A.I.
If you want to make big maps try spreading out the object’s across the map and group objects as much as you can this should help a little. You should keep in mined after putting 5 or more A.I in a siingle map you’re lag will go down lots to.
Well i hope that helps you for next time keep up the good work i know how frustrating it can be to spend hour's on a map and 80% off the people cant play it over the lag being so bad.

last

Post by last » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:23 am

I don't think that we should wait width levels that has allot of objects in it. I personally think that we should be prepared, once the game is optimized then those levels are really good examples for the others.
Also, David will have test levels to show us how much the frame rate will go up once he's optimized the game. :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I agree with last. What about Hale's Foothold, eh? :wink:

For those who haven't been around for years, it's a walled city besieged by enemy forces and their warmachines, made in early 2009, before the game had such niceties like characters, or more than one attack.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 am

Gogg.B1 wrote:(The .XML is around 5Mb)
Wow, that's insane! The level definetly lags a bunch, but it's very impressive. I'll be looking forward to playing it when I can!

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Yeah it seems like the lag is pretty bad but i hope that some people out there can play it in its current state. I will re-release this map in a more completed form when the game is actually released and optimized. I'll also make some videos for it and take better screenshots. Look's like ill start putting some time into some smaller maps now.

elegaro

Post by elegaro » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:39 pm

awesome dude!!!!
:D :D :D

bennyp

Re: [Map] Delos - The Ancient Twin Peak City - WIP

Post by bennyp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 am

serious sam much :)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 pm

bennyp wrote:serious sam much :)
I just noticed that it does definitely look like Serious Sam.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Total awesome!
Instantly reminded me of Golden City from Bunny & Taz: Time Busters, a game of my childhood(PSOne), which is great. And bit of Tomb Raider. Now all left is unique track, something Egypt/Maya/Arabic =)

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 am

last wrote:I don't think that we should wait width levels that has allot of objects in it. I personally think that we should be prepared, once the game is optimized then those levels are really good examples for the others.
Also, David will have test levels to show us how much the frame rate will go up once he's optimized the game. :D

Yeah I think you're right, when I released this map I was still on Alpha 194 and I'd get horrible lag in most places on this map but after updating to A196 I can play through the whole map with high enough fps to add a few weapons and enemies and even record the whole thing at 720P on max settings while staying at around 30 FPS the whole time. Anyways I uploaded a long playthrough video for those who may have wanted to see the map but couldn't play it for whatever reason. I updated the main post with the video.

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm

I get this error when trying to load the level: Image I get this randomly and kinda rarely when loading levels.