[Weapon] A sabery, cutlassy sort of thing (updates yo)

Telltolin

[Weapon] A sabery, cutlassy sort of thing (updates yo)

Post by Telltolin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 am

I was bored and decided to model this ugly thing and import it to overgrowth, and post it here for YOUR PERSONAL pleasure and enjoyment.
DOWNLOAD IT HERE YO
some sexy normal action going on over here
So you're like, tolin, that's nice and all, but what does this piece of crap look like ingame?
(also pictured, one of the many things i have made and imported to overgrowth for shits and giggles, BUT PROBABLY WILL NOT UPLOAD BECAUSE LAZINESS and poor quality)
as you can clearly see, it offers a guaranteed edge in combat (it has one)

PS add an option for thumbnails holy shit

edit, i left the textures as tga so they're roughly the size of the space shuttle and will take 1001 days to load, was too lazy to get .dds working properly so if anyone wants to do that be my guest
Last edited by Telltolin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Re: [Weapon] A sabery, cutlassy sort of thing

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:53 am

The DDS conversion is done by OVergrowth itself.

It looks more like a hudiedao than a cutlass, but then I understand that a hudiedao is a Chinese weapon inspired by (European?) boarding knives.

I also spy with my little eye a jian.

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:55 am

Endoperez wrote:I also spy with my little eye a jian.
The other weapon there does take some influences from the jian, as well as anthropomorphic swords :Q

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 am

Telltolin wrote:The other weapon there does take some influences from the jian, as well as anthropomorphic swords :Q

It's not a perfect match, but it was clearly inspired by it. I really like the detailed texture in the jian's handle BTW.

I was a bit confused by "anthropomorphic" sword, since it didn't look like a human to me. I googled it quickly, and that is indeed eerily similar. I understand Roman and viking swords also have a very similar design. Funny how some designs end up being universal.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 pm

This is a pretty cool sword, but I can't tell if there was actual blood in one of the images or not. It's pretty easy to set up an attack to add blood, splashy blood or just a cut.

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Timbles wrote:This is a pretty cool sword, but I can't tell if there was actual blood in one of the images or not. It's pretty easy to set up an attack to add blood, splashy blood or just a cut.
Is this what you wanted, does this please you?! YOU MONSTER
They were unarmed, they stood no real chance

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 pm

It looks even better bloodied. :twisted:

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm

I will probably make more things and post them. This took like two hours from start to finished in overgrowth, maximum? Or redo some of the some 10+ weapons I've already made and imported to OG (mostly topology edits and retextures, TRIS ARE EVIL, DEATH TO THE TRI) since i've been picking up some new techniques since I started most of them.
feel free to suggest stuff, i guess :Q

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:56 am

Endoperez wrote:Funny how some designs end up being universal.
Well, if the design is good and has all the qualities you'd want a weapon to have, it's natural that over time they'd start looking similar if they try to attain the same qualities. It's pretty intuitive when you think about it.

It's a cool, interesting sword you've made, Telltolin.

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:19 am

OK I made a new thing, but I haven't imported it to overgrowth yet.
I don't like the engraving things on the crossguard and pommel, the blade texture is a bit grainier than i'd like, and there's a problem with the tip's smoothing groups that i'm gonna have to fuck with for a bit to get working properly, but I can't be bothered to mess with it anymore right now.
Once I do get around to releasing it, I'll probably make a new thread devoted to weapon releases, I'm also working on these two, a seax and an estoc:
(not to scale honest)
I might also consider working some more on this, but it's pretty much what inspired the saber in this thread. Anyway, I'll make more stuff and post it when I'm not doing work stuff. Any choppers or thwackers or anything else you guys have ideas for, i'd be happy to give it a go should you provide me with details

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: [Weapon] A sabery, cutlassy sort of thing (updates yo)

Post by Constance » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 am

Maybe some kind of energy sword/slicers, like in the 2D flash game Plazma Burst 2.

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:05 am

Timbles wrote:Maybe some kind of energy sword/slicers, like in the 2D flash game Plazma Burst 2.
that could prove interesting, does overgrowth support mobile light sources/glowing objects? Just having sprites on the blade wouldn't be enough for it to look really... energy-ey.
Also, what format are overgrowth's animations in, and is it possible to manipulate them in 3ds max? I'd like to try animating some new moves, and stuff. I could give blender a try if that's realllly the only thing it's compatible with

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 am

Blender is the only compatible animation editor/exporter at the moment.

There are no dynamic light sources yet, and I don't think there are emission shaders yet either. The shaders are GLSL files you could edit or write yourself, though, and there are postpro shaders available as well, but it's probably too much work for the effect.

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 am

Endoperez wrote:Blender is the only compatible animation editor/exporter at the moment.

There are no dynamic light sources yet, and I don't think there are emission shaders yet either. The shaders are GLSL files you could edit or write yourself, though, and there are postpro shaders available as well, but it's probably too much work for the effect.
Guess who's downloading blender, then!
And, it would be fun to tinker around with the shaders but unless I got something solid I'd probably hold off on making the energy sword thing.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:01 am

You can change some of the hotkeys in Blender to work more like in 3DS Max. The most important ones are the basic navigation keys:

In Blender, go File - User Preferences.

In Editing, increase the number of Undos to 64 (yeah, that's a REALLY low ceiling...). That's also one of the places where you can enable autokey.

In Input, on the left side, there should be some buttons and sliders, while on the right there's a dense list of ALL the commands. One of the choices on left is Select with:, change that to Left. Yes, for some reason Blender by default uses the right mouse button for selection.

To get the Pan and Rotate View working like in Max:
Again in Input, go to the list of commands and expand 3D View. You should see 3D View (Global) now, expand that as well, and then expand Rotate View and Move View. Toggle the Shift-checkbox off in one and on in the other. Remember to save the settings too.

If you have any questions about Blender, feel free to ask. I haven't used the Overgrowth animation exporter, but it requires a specific version of Blender - I think it's 2.55.