48-Hour OG MAP JAM! (7/6-7/8) Rules

iDubbbz

48-Hour OG MAP JAM! (7/6-7/8) Rules

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am

TLDR: 48hour map jam on 7/6 - 7/8. winner chosen by poll results. theme listed in this thread at the start of the jam. Upload finished map in this thread

OK, THE 48-HOUR MAP JAM IS OFFICIAL!
THE THEME IS VIKINGS
Voting for the date is pretty much done. It's clear that most people are going to be okay with this upcoming weekend: 7/6 - 7/8

RULES/General information:

A theme will be announced at the beginning of the jam at 12:00 a.m (GMT), via my twitter handle: "@idubbbz" and I will also post it here in big, bold lettering: (VIKINGS)
The theme should be pretty apparent and explicit in your map so no one thinks you started early.

This is the tool ill use for deciding the theme: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9894 ... megen.html

You can use any of the community assets at your disposal and as much AI as you want. BUT BE FOREWARNED! If you add too much community content to your map or have too much AI, it might bog down people's computers, affecting your chances of winning. There are no limits in terms of story, size of the map, or anything else for that matter. If you want to make a huge set of custom pieces before the event, that is your prerogative. If you WANT to share them, it's up to you. May the best map maker win.

For Anton's sake & the sake of Sumlauncher: - "Any custom items that are used, should either be provided as a new pack, or people should use custom objects from SUMLauncher. I'm going to do my best over the weekend to put all the maps that are created into SUMLauncher as we go, and this will be hugely useful for me. Noting which objects are used, will also help me a lot." - Do this to make things easier for everyone. You don't have to, but we highly encourage it.

You must have the map uploaded in the designated thread by 11:59 p.m. (GMT) on Sunday!

Feel free to live-stream the crap out of it. I know I'm going to. (I will be participating, but not eligible for winning) If you're not on twitter, GET ON IT! We can yell at each other about our trials and tribulations!

The winner of the map jam will be determined by a poll, within a thread, containing all the finished levels. The poll will be in the SPF, and it will be up for 1 week. (would it be shitty to have the poll + maps in the SPF instead of the modding sub-forum?)

The winner will receive ONE steam game of their choosing. (except train simulator & Planetary Annihilation)

In the event of a tie, I will create an overgrowth video of 2 rabbit AI (Winner 1) & (Winner 2)
both identical rabbits except for the team they are on: (Winner 1) & (Winner 2) . Whichever rabbit wins, wins the competition. ( :lol:, it's basically a coin toss..with a little more excitement)

In closing, I'm going to be a little lenient on the start and end times. We all experience technical issues with overgrowth, hardware problems, etc. This is meant to be fun! SO PUT A SMILE ON YA FACE! :mrgreen:
Last edited by iDubbbz on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:49 am, edited 10 times in total.

Endoperez

Re: 48-Hour OG MAP JAM! POLL + Rules

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:24 am

Haha, that's awesome!

I don't think I'll have the time to devote either weekend to this, but I might try doing something simple just the same. It's supposed to be about having fun, after all! :D

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Endoperez wrote:Haha, that's awesome!

I don't think I'll have the time to devote either weekend to this, but I might try doing something simple just the same. It's supposed to be about having fun, after all! :D
That's the spirit! I say it's anyone's game. The theme could be something utterly ridiculous :lol:

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Train Simulator has been at the top of my wishlist for ages.

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Just wondering, why train simulator and not planetary annihilation???

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:09 pm

This sounds awesome! I'll try to participate, but if not, I'll try to keep SUMLauncher up to date during the process...

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Anton wrote:This sounds awesome! I'll try to participate, but if not, I'll try to keep SUMLauncher up to date during the process...
Hahaa, good luck! And it looks like the poll results are cut and dry. We're doing it this upcoming weekend! I want your A-game, people!

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Really cool idea, looking forward to it!

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Stoked for this :!: :mrgreen:

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:40 pm

In preparation for the jam, I have a question for some of you seasoned map makers:

Every time I go into editing mode in overgrowth my graphics card starts running FAST. It gets really loud and certainly heats up. After about 3 hours it will just shut the game off. Is the strain on the graphics card pretty common when using the editor tools? And are there any features I could disable through SUM launcher to make it take less of a toll on my graphics card? Thanks :)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:57 pm

iDubbbz wrote:In preparation for the jam, I have a question for some of you seasoned map makers:

Every time I go into editing mode in overgrowth my graphics card starts running FAST. It gets really loud and certainly heats up. After about 3 hours it will just shut the game off. Is the strain on the graphics card pretty common when using the editor tools? And are there any features I could disable through SUM launcher to make it take less of a toll on my graphics card? Thanks :)
turning on vsync should help prevent your graphics card from overheating.

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Anton wrote:
turning on vsync should help prevent your graphics card from overheating.
Thank you, sir! I don't know if it helped, but I guess if it didn't I'll find out the hard way :lol:

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:31 am

i will give this ago

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 am

samjb1992 wrote:i will give this ago
Great! It looks like we got a lot of heavy hitters in this game jam. I still want more though. I'll promote the jam in a few videos this week to raise some awareness.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 am

hmm, I might join in as well... mainly for the participation though ^^

(I've never actually submitted any of the levels i've made xD but i've spent massive amounts of time on one level i may submit in the future >:3 but its a suprise)
Last edited by RagdollZombie on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.