[Objects] Corpse props

RagdollZombie

[Objects] Corpse props

Post by RagdollZombie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:32 pm

I've made some corpse props to use in your maps (more specifically in your Viking map Jam if you'd like :D)

There are 8 guard props in 3 different skins (reddy, robert, and pale).

There are some lighting issues (its not the normal map so i'm not sure why) with it at the moment, but I hope you guys like it. I will add more to it after the Jam is done.
OG corpse prop1.png
OG corpse prop2.png

DOWNLOAD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxwzf87zhab1k ... s%20V1.zip

You can put decals on them like blood ect.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: [Objects] Corpse props

Post by Constance » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 pm

That's pretty damn useful! I was making a map outside of the jam where I needed a bloody dead body, and I had to make a character to get stabbed by another in order for there to be a corpse. It would usually fall off a ledge, and so would his weapon. Thanks!

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:43 pm

You're welcome! It also saves a lot of the FPS, because dead actors can cause lag.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:47 pm

A good tip is to use the blood drop decal and stretch it [right click] to make it look like a slice!

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 pm

yeah! XD
Last edited by RagdollZombie on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:36 am

Cool, I kinda had the same idea, very useful! About the lighting, did you generate new normal maps or did you leave the old ones? Since the normal maps are in world space, models like these where body parts have been moved need new ones.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:02 pm

I don't know if you guys noticed, but I put these props into SUMLauncher! They look great. I did NOT however put them in the spawner yet, because I didn't have time to make thumbnails for them all...

I don't know if you want to make the thumbs for them, then I can add them pretty easily. Up to you.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:23 pm

I will once i'm ready to, and once i fix the normal maps :D

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:27 pm

This is such a clever idea to replace the silly T-pose dead bodies or killing a character somehow before the player arrives. Why did no one else thought of this before?

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 pm

One issue is that I can't figure out how to make a palette map compatible with it (like the character palette maps), then the pale guard corpses could be colorable

twowolves

Post by twowolves » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:14 am

Hey, i think the palette map so far only works with characters ie the cubemapobjchar shader.

The normals should look better if you convert them to tangent space.

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm

would you mind if i fixed em up? i want to use em in a map.
twowolves wrote:The normals should look better if you convert them to tangent space.
you can't convert object space normal maps to tangent space, unless i'm mistaken.

he could just use the character shader for these objects, i think that would work.

twowolves

Post by twowolves » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Markuss wrote:
you can't convert object space normal maps to tangent space, unless i'm mistaken.
Yes, there is no normal "converter" tool as far as i know (even though i do not see why not, that sure is a useful feature)
Though, you can open the model in a 3D tool, apply the normal and then, bake a new one.
LightWave does not like the normal axis that OG uses so it did not come out that well but it may is enough for a dead body already.

If you want to have it really proper, you could convert the mormal to heightmap anyway (nDo does that for instance).
Then, tessellate the model up to a million or two triangles and displace it.
That would essentially give you the hi-poly version back and normals baked from that should come out very clean in compare to the compressed .dds files you otherwise have to base this work on.

All these things take a minute to do but if its only for two or three models as in this case it may well be worth the effort.
Markuss wrote: he could just use the character shader for these objects, i think that would work.
It does not seem to be all that easy, i did try to get a palette map to work on a weapon but failed.
Sure would be great if you figured that one out though.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:21 am

Markuss wrote:would you mind if i fixed em up? i want to use em in a map.
twowolves wrote:The normals should look better if you convert them to tangent space.

he could just use the character shader for these objects, i think that would work.
XNormal has a tool that should do that. I haven't tested it myself, but it should work. The object-space map in XNormal might be different from Overgrowth's, but it's relatively easy to switch green and blue channels with each other, or flip a channel, or whatever.
og_xnormal.jpg

twowolves

Post by twowolves » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:29 am

Very cool!
Thanks for the info Endoperez :)