[MAP] Behind the Wall

AggressiveRabbit

[MAP] Behind the Wall

Post by AggressiveRabbit » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:33 pm

In the shadow of the mountain, a squad of dog soldiers are scouring a small village looking for you. Fight or try to slip past them, and look for a hidden path around the mountain and over the great, icy wall.

This map is meant to be played with checkpoints, though you can try and beat it without moving your spawn if you want. Despite my best efforts, it is probably possible to sequence-break the level, so do try to play along and follow the parkour, will you?

My first map! Or level, rather. I was inspired by Rovert's Small Parkour map, djoslin's 4parkour, the Cat's Pass and the Tower Revised to try my own take on an atmospheric parkour challenge. I'm using Timbles' excellent flat snowy template because it looks cool and I'm too incompetent to make anything myself. Heck, I wanted it to snow but I gave up on that. I am rather proud of my level design though, I think it flows very well, looks neat and gives the player a lot of content.

Requires Semel's Halberd weapon, which is awesome. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff as well, do I need to figure out what in order for the .xml to work for you guys? Either way I'm looking forward to hearing how the map is broken and won't load or something with my luck.

Who are in the three graves at the beginning? What's with that large man behind the cliffs? Who trashed the village, the dogs... or you? And who exactly is that fortified wall supposed to keep out? I haven't really thought of a story, so I'm open to suggestions.

Update: I removed the extra weapons I had lying around the village because they were causing physics lag. The .xml is now updated. If you want, throw in some random swords and spears with the editor.

Screenshots:

Attachments
behind_the_wall.xml
(336.19 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Last edited by AggressiveRabbit on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

akazi

Re: [MAP] Behind the Wall

Post by akazi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 pm

haven't had a user map lag hard on me in a long time. Thank you, I quit missed it. Adding so many weapon items that the ai won't use lags it a lot, next time you should replace those with the ones you can't pick up, just for FPS sake. ;) Nice map, I like the building with the tile roof.

AggressiveRabbit

Post by AggressiveRabbit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 am

Really? Aww man, I didn't know those caused lag. They don't seem to affect my fps much at all and I wanted to give the player a lot of crap to throw at the dogs. I could still remove the extra weapons and replace the .xml, think I should?

Oh and were you able to make it to the end? :D

nebd

Post by nebd » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:37 am

I am pretty impressed by your map, especially since it's your first.
As you said yourself, it flows really well and it's challenging, but not too difficult.

The only thing that bugs me, is that you've used a rock without a scalable texture (might not be the correct terminology) as the mountain.

Aside from that, great map! :D

AggressiveRabbit

Post by AggressiveRabbit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks! And yeah you're right haha I just made a rock really huge and left it that way. Definitely an eyesore up close. Not sure if any of the available rocky objects will scale to that size though, perhaps Phallic Cliff might

AggressiveRabbit

Post by AggressiveRabbit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 am

[YouTube]vN2giuU-dsA[/YouTube]

Update with a video playthrough!

Proper link since I am doing something wrong with youtube embedding: http://youtu.be/vN2giuU-dsA

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 pm

AggressiveRabbit wrote:[YouTube]vN2giuU-dsA[/YouTube]

Proper link since I am doing something wrong with youtube embedding: http://youtu.be/vN2giuU-dsA

There ya go.

AggressiveRabbit

Post by AggressiveRabbit » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:13 am

AmorphousGamer wrote:
AggressiveRabbit wrote:[YouTube]vN2giuU-dsA[/YouTube]

There ya go.
Danke!

Rawb

Post by Rawb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Hey man, dont know if I'm just a total noob but whenever I try to launch your map from Overgrowth (typing in behind_the-wall.xml from overgrowth) I get this message

"Couldnt load image file "Data/textures/Terrain/Tree_canyon/tree_canyon_winter_c.tga"

Any idea how I can fix this ? :?

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Is that error message really literally the exact message you're getting? Then your behind_the-wall.xml has a typo in it (though the one found at the beginning of the thread doesn't have that typo) and you need to change

Code: Select all

Data/textures/Terrain/Tree_canyon/tree_canyon_winter_c.tga
to

Code: Select all

Data/Textures/Terrain/Tree_canyon/tree_canyon_winter_c.tga
(textures->Textures) in that .xml file.

However, if that's not the case then you're missing that file. Which version of the game are you using?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Added this map to SUMLauncher!!

AggressiveRabbit

Post by AggressiveRabbit » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:55 am

Anton wrote:Added this map to SUMLauncher!!
Thanks man! : D