Map JAM!! [Taking ideas]

iDubbbz

Map JAM!! [Taking ideas]

Post by iDubbbz » Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey all! I wanted to do another map jam. I was hoping to wait until alpha 206, but it could still be far off, and there is no reason why we can't still work with alpha 206 in the event it appears out of nowhere.

Last time it took place over a weekend period, (48 hours) and I got a theme from the ludum dare theme generator: http://www.cowfacegames.com/handytools/ ... -generator

I'm okay with doing it the same way, but if you guys have any better ideas, let me know here.
Right now there is no official date. I'm just testing the waters :mrgreen:

akazi

Re: Map JAM!! [Taking ideas]

Post by akazi » Mon May 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Exploration

Flying: (would require the flying mod)

Arena

castle

short story: (would mean using the dialog system)

big and small: meaning your character is mini and the world around you is big.

versus
Just a few I got from the link.
I am not sure if we should wait till alpha 206 is released or not though.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue May 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Colonial Era World History

(★★) American Civil Rights Movement(specifically the black panthers, KKK, and other violent groups)

American or French Revolution

(★)WWII or WWI

Frankenstein

(★)Dracula

(★)Alice in Wonderland

Basically anything very nontraditional for OG. We've seen Sci-fi, races, parkour, stealth, pirates and vikings and knights, etc. but there haven't been any historically based levels, nor many literature based levels(at least not from what I've seen). I think we could get some really awesome and innovative racist levels from the civil rights one, for example. Whatever it is, something new.

★ for my favorites

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm

adwuga wrote:Colonial Era World History

(★★) American Civil Rights Movement(specifically the black panthers, KKK, and other violent groups)

American or French Revolution

(★)WWII or WWI

Frankenstein

(★)Dracula

(★)Alice in Wonderland

Basically anything very nontraditional for OG. We've seen Sci-fi, races, parkour, stealth, pirates and vikings and knights, etc. but there haven't been any historically based levels, nor many literature based levels(at least not from what I've seen). I think we could get some really awesome and innovative racist levels from the civil rights one, for example. Whatever it is, something new.

★ for my favorites
I thought you'd want a secretly gay map but these work too.

I hate to advertise but I think something similar to my Clan Wars map/Campaign thing would be cool, something with large scale battles (5 vs 5?) something the community wanted to happen happening.

Or...

Attack On Titan.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Thu May 22, 2014 11:34 am

I rolled and got "Floating Civilization". It's like it's mocking me or something, making reference to a map I never finished. I kept promising myself that I would, and now it might be too late, because the last time I touched it was like a year ago, and the map file can't be loaded into OG without throwing out an error and crashing.
... Why, OG? It was literally ALL crete blocks...

Anyway, while I wallow in my self pity, I like that one: Floating Civilization. I've always been fascinated with floating cities. Would love to make a new one.

Surak

Post by Surak » Fri May 23, 2014 7:01 am

Rovert wrote:Anyway, while I wallow in my self pity, I like that one: Floating Civilization. I've always been fascinated with floating cities. Would love to make a new one.
That's also my favourite so far. Castles would also be cool or caves (with buildings inside), but I think at the moment the lighting would be a problem (or is this possible by now?).

adwuga, the problem I see with historic stuff are the assets. I really have no idea how you want to do something like WW2 without custom models. With custom models it would be cool as hell, but too difficult (and not enough time).

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 am

I'm all in for cave cities. :D

FallenDemon

Post by FallenDemon » Fri May 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Make cave cities a reality, donate to a stranger from the forum today!

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Sat May 24, 2014 1:08 am

Yo caves would be sick, but they'd also be really dark. Not pitch black, mind, but pretty dark. If only we had small light sources like torches. And it's totally doable, but without making a custom heightmap, it'd be really tough. You'd essentially have to make your own ground out of assets so you could "dig" in to the ground. Again, doable, but tedious.

I am still down for floating cities. Somethin' about it, man...
Surak wrote: That's also my favourite so far. Castles would also be cool or caves (with buildings inside), but I think at the moment the lighting would be a problem (or is this possible by now?).
What do you mean the lighting would be a problem? Just that it would be shaded at all times for buildings with innards? If so, then yes. You'd have to make some windows to let in natural light. We currently have no light fixtures, which is a real shame if you ask me. Dynamic lighting would be amazing.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sat May 24, 2014 4:34 am

Rovert wrote:What do you mean the lighting would be a problem? Just that it would be shaded at all times for buildings with innards? If so, then yes. You'd have to make some windows to let in natural light. We currently have no light fixtures, which is a real shame if you ask me. Dynamic lighting would be amazing.
I meant small light sources, yea. A castle could have some windows, sure. But it would limit the architecture in a big way. But yea, even a bigger problem for caves.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue May 27, 2014 2:32 am

Surak wrote:
Rovert wrote:Anyway, while I wallow in my self pity, I like that one: Floating Civilization. I've always been fascinated with floating cities. Would love to make a new one.
That's also my favourite so far. Castles would also be cool or caves (with buildings inside), but I think at the moment the lighting would be a problem (or is this possible by now?).

adwuga, the problem I see with historic stuff are the assets. I really have no idea how you want to do something like WW2 without custom models. With custom models it would be cool as hell, but too difficult (and not enough time).[/quote
Creativity and imagination. Use some poles to make these
Some stone to make bunkers, put it on a beach. and you've got Normandy. Shit like that.
It might not look super legit, but it will be an OG stylized version of whatever the event is.

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Well, I've read all your suggestions. I appreciate your feedback.

I'm going to narrow it down to caves, history, and floating cities.

I'll randomly select it at the start of the jam.

The map jam will start next weekend on Friday (June 13-16) . I'm gonna be super lenient on the start/end times.
+/- 1-2 days.

We'll do voting like we did last time to determine the winner. I'm not giving out a game this time because I'm broke. Winner just gets to be winner. :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8)
Last edited by iDubbbz on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sat May 31, 2014 6:38 am

Sounds good. If I have time I'll participate.