[SCRIPT] Cpt. Morgen's 3 & 4 Player versus mode / FFA

sTownR

[SCRIPT] Cpt. Morgen's 3 & 4 Player versus mode / FFA

Post by sTownR » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 am

I wasn't able to find any working versus modes for more than 2 players, so I've just spent half the night getting this thing working and I think it finally is!

I basically just copied parts in the script and changed some values and variables, it actually was the first time my programming "skills" were useful to me :D
For player 3 and 4 I used the soundpacks fight_lose2 and fight_lose1 which I found in the folder \Data\Sounds\versus\

The portraits are just copies of the original ones and the winning screens are pretty bad cause I know nothing about editing an image. I'd appreciate it if somebody could make decent pictures for player 3 and 4.
btw. does anybody know which scripting language is used in OGs scripts? It's pretty similar to Java

It took me quite a while to get the positions of the rabbit portraits and the score counters right but it looks ok now I guess.

3 Player versus mode:

4 Player versus mode:

I actually have no idea how it works with the custom folder or how to install mods properly, so just extract the .7z file in your Overgrowth folder and it should work. To load the maps in the menu just type 3_pv.xml or 4_pv.xml in the box that says "load custom map".

If the score is counting for the wrong person you should try making the characters unplayable and playable again until they are in the right order. (use ctrl + shift + p)

Player 1: Green
Player 2: Red
Player 3: Blue
Player 4: Yellow

To use the script on one of your maps simply open the .xml go to
<Script>Data/Scripts/challengelevel.as</Script> and change it to:
<Script>Data/Scripts/versusmode3.as</Script> for 3 players or
<Script>Data/Scripts/versusmode4.as</Script> for 4 players, save the .xml and load the map again.
Attachments
cptmorgen_versus.7z
extract to Overgrowth install folder - no files need to be replaced
(944.28 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Last edited by sTownR on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Surak

Re: [SCRIPT] Cpt. Morgen's 3 & 4 Player versus mode / FFA

Post by Surak » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:50 am

Looks very nice. Sadly I don't have controllers to test it.

Obergrowth uses Angelscript (http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/) which has a C++ like language.

About script mods in general: You can load custom scripts in a xml level file. So you could make special 4-player levels that load your script. This way you don't have to overwrite existing files. But sometimes it is not possible to use this, then overwriting the scripts is the only way.

sTownR

Post by sTownR » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:09 am

I actually made a copy of the versusmode.as script and changed it. Now I have 2 different scripts , which can be loaded in any custom map by simply changing "challengelevel.as" to "versusmode3.as" or "versusmode4.as" in the maps .xml

last

Post by last » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:57 pm

I give you 4 thumbs up and all the internet.
Ok enough with jokes.
Good to see some new script mods.

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:43 am

Dude. this is great. I tried shared screen with 3-4 players, and it's pretty unusable. But this is great. Top fuckinnn notch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 pm

It truly is a dream come true, thanks man. Finally a use for my PS4 controllers. Couch co-op may be lacking for consoles, but this makes up for it.