[OGMP] Overgrowth Multiplayer Mod

Surak

[OGMP] Overgrowth Multiplayer Mod

Post by Surak » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 am

The OverGrowth MultiPlayer mod by Gyrth and me is now public. You can find the documentation and downloads at Github:

OGMP works for the current beta.

There is a Steam group if you want to find people to play: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/ogmpnet

Please be aware that this mod is still early alpha. A lot of things are not perfect yet and it can even crash. We noticed that the game runs good for 2 players, but starts to get buggy from time to time with more players. If you find bugs and want to report them please use the Github issue tracker. Check for similar bugs though to reduce our workload. Contributions to the mod via Github are very welcome. If you want to help coding (C++/AngelScript), but are unsure how to use Github the correct way just ask here. It is really easy.

Special thanks to Sed for creating the logo and helping to test the modifications.

Here are some recordings from today:

Last edited by Surak on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.

deldero

Re: [OGMP] Overgrowth Multiplayer Mod

Post by deldero » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:20 pm

i have been here trying to express how i am impressed and happy with this...i cant find words. it is an amazing achievement, something that many demanded, and it was delivered, very very impressive.

congratulations!
win win win.png
win win win.png (148.5 KiB) Viewed 90281 times

brief testing(40 minuts gameplay):

i just did a brief testing of your mod, and it was very fun, i did parkour races in red shards with gyrth and other players to the peak of the map, and won,...to later be rewarded with a leg canon in the face and fall all the way down...to my death...hahahaha xD

Did a 4 deathmatch fight brawl and body's where being kicked to the walls , floor , out of clifs, really cool.

A dude came to play as the wolf, and all the rabbits united forces to kill him, most epic thing i have seen so far.

i did a hunting game where i tried to stealth kill other players, it was very fun as well, but they crashed before i got them... they will not escape next time >:P

techinical notes:

i am playing from brazil , and i crashed once after 40 minuts i think, that is not a big problem for me.

some players that where in the game with me crashed much more, like gyrth and "sev" i think it was his name.

i understood that you wanted me to post bugs in the github issue tracker, but i dont consider this ones much as bugs as just a small notes, i placed some other things in the github as you asked.

i havent had a big derp smile in my face for a long time, it is awesome to fell this kind of magic from this game again, thank you for that, really, thank you.

now if you excuse me, i have to unite the rabbits once again, to defeat the wolf who is treatening our lands.
epic rabbits.jpg
Last edited by deldero on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Hehe, nice, glad you liked it. The other two guys were Sed and me. It is fine to write it here, esp. in a case where it is not known why it crashed.

It also crashed exactly once for me in the ~20 minutes I was there. That's okay for now. And as I said earlier, sometimes when I played 1 on 1 with Gyrth it was stable for hours without crashing once.

deldero

Post by deldero » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:31 pm

lol, was it you who leg cannon'd me out of that peak? i wont let that go for free >:)

also, what would happen if costum maps where loaded? could peaple join costum or saved maps?

thanks in advance.
Last edited by deldero on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gyrth

Post by Gyrth » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:32 pm

deldero wrote:lol, was it you who leg cannon'd me out of that peak? i wont let that go for free >:)

also, what would happen if costum maps where loaded? could peaple join costum or saved maps?

thanks in advance.
That was me. I don't like to lose.

Players a grouped per level. So as long as the players have the same custom map loaded they should be able to play together.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:34 pm

I don't know if I leg cannon'd you, possible. It tends to get a bit wild in a fight :D But I was the wolf.

You can play custom levels, you can play any level you want (except arenas). Players are grouped by the name of the level. So both players just need to start the same custom level, then they join the server, then they can play together.

Gyrth

Post by Gyrth » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Oh and NPC's are removed when you connect. Because that is a pain in the butt to sync all across the clients. The weapons aren't sync as well atm. So as you mentioned, sometimes you will hit someone with a weapon but they won't see that. So the hit won't be registered. Maybe that's something that will be added in the future.

deldero

Post by deldero » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:59 pm

why.jpg
why.jpg (55.77 KiB) Viewed 90274 times
and gyrth.... prepare yourself, i am coming.
you are next.jpg

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:26 pm

Once you guys get NPC's synced properly to players, I'm totally gonna make a co-op campaign for two to four people.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:35 am

Finally got to try this out and I can confirm that it is awesome.

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:02 am

Oh yea, did some nice parkouring with Silverfish on my playground level. Very fun.

Would be interesting to see how many players the server can handle at the same time (not all on the same level ofc). If the benchmarks I did with ab are correct it should not be a problem for multiple hundred people to use this 5 $/m vps at the same time :mrgreen: The benefits of writing a pseudo web server from scratch in C++.

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:46 pm

Just played Limbo 2 in multiplayer with Surak... whew! This mod is sooo much fun !
Not to mention an awesome system of saving your position and teleporting back.
It's basically checkpoints! No need to move your spawn point anymore!
psst! try using debug ragdoll button "z" ... heheh

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Lunny bunny race 3 with two people. Great fun was had :lol:

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Sweet! public release ^.^ I'll try it when i get home today :D

Surak

Post by Surak » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:36 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:Sweet! public release ^.^ I'll try it when i get home today :D
Yey, cool :D If it is not too late I may be still online and playing.