Let's Bring Back the Flying Mod [IT'S BACK!!!!!]

vallejo18

Re: Let's Bring Back the Flying Mod

Post by vallejo18 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Sorry guys,I haven't made much progress on it as just as I was starting, life hit hard. However, I have a new question. does anyone remember what the controls were, just wanting to know to see how am I going to go about with it. Gyrth, I haven't forgotten about you still.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58 pm

vallejo18 wrote:Sorry guys,I haven't made much progress on it as just as I was starting, life hit hard. However, I have a new question. does anyone remember what the controls were, just wanting to know to see how am I going to go about with it. Gyrth, I haven't forgotten about you still.
That's totally understandable dude. Thanks for keeping in touch.

About the controls, I think I still have a207 installed on my old PC. I'll dig it up and see what they were, then get back to you. Should only be a few minutes.

Now, when you say controls, do you mean just the buttons? Because if you mean how the actual physics of the flying felt, that's gonna be harder to put into words. Might want to install a207 and download the mod so you can see for yourself. Might be a good thing to do regardless, if you have a separate computer you can do that on. Just so you can get a feel for the mod.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 pm

vallejo18 wrote:Sorry guys,I haven't made much progress on it as just as I was starting, life hit hard. However, I have a new question. does anyone remember what the controls were, just wanting to know to see how am I going to go about with it. Gyrth, I haven't forgotten about you still.
Got it.

F: toggle flight mode (plays "KAAW" sound effect when enabled)
H: laser-eye-of-death (remapped from F)

While flight mode is ON and character is in the air:
Right Click: glide/fly
Left Click: flap arms to gain altitude
Shift: super rolling boost (only once while in air, must touch ground before using again)

ALSO: flying low over a dead/ragdolled enemy while holding right click lets you pluck them off the ground and carry them with you as you fly. Releasing right click drops them.

I think that's everything. I'm not sure how you're going about this, but if you're rebuilding it from scratch I highly recommend installing a207 to get a feel for the mod. But if you're just porting/updating it, that's awesome too.

Again, thanks so much for all this. Let me know if there are any other ways I can help. Like if you want a video or something, I have screencap software and I could upload one.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:11 am

Thanks, and yes I only meant the buttons. I wanted to see what I could do by adding it in a form of a standalone mod that would not need editing of the original aschar.as file. In the past, I was able to do something like that when I was trying to add a "smarter" A.I. However, I have since lost the files that I made for it. Anyways, I am doing Calculus I and so far it is kicking me, so I won't be able to start heavily diving into it until this Sunday, there I will start posting updates and etc, I am going to try Gryth's challenge and make it even better. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 pm

vallejo18 wrote:Thanks, and yes I only meant the buttons. I wanted to see what I could do by adding it in a form of a standalone mod that would not need editing of the original aschar.as file. In the past, I was able to do something like that when I was trying to add a "smarter" A.I. However, I have since lost the files that I made for it. Anyways, I am doing Calculus I and so far it is kicking me, so I won't be able to start heavily diving into it until this Sunday, there I will start posting updates and etc, I am going to try Gryth's challenge and make it even better. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Um... hello?

Sigh... when I die I hope they have the flying mod in heaven. That's my best bet at this point.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:25 pm

I am currently in a bind with school and I am understanding a lot more with coding, however, the only thing I was able to do so far is extract the important code out of the source and make it it's own standalone, still doesn't work. If in the coming month I cannot get this out, I will upload my progress for the community to try.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:56 pm

I gave up. So anyone who wants to give it a shot is welcomed to use what I made so far. https://mega.nz/#!tRt0WK7S!3iOr1z9asASV ... UoHodaydsg

Mr_HappyGuy

Post by Mr_HappyGuy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:36 pm

What Version of the game did you use?
My mods dont seem to appear in the mods section.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:40 pm

Mr_HappyGuy wrote:What Version of the game did you use?
I think there's a UI bug on that menu right now. I'm filing it now so we get it taken care of.

-Merlyn

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 pm

I was using an outdated version when i first modified the files. I think it was 225. There is something I am missing and I would like help to point me in the right direction. Something changed in the enemycontrol.as whether it be a function call or a complete code rewrite. I am not sure, however, I will post this mod in Github for anyone who wants to contribute, this is a mod for community so I for one do not want any credit.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:17 pm

here is the Github link to the mod, in case anyone wants to submit a commit or whatnot. https://github.com/YungMoniCA1/OG-Flying-Mod-community

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:47 pm

do you mind telling me what the current state of the github code is?

when enabling it, i cant seem to find any difference

what are the controls / what works, what doesnt?

i dont get any errors either

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:05 am

Thomason1005 wrote:do you mind telling me what the current state of the github code is?

when enabling it, i cant seem to find any difference

what are the controls / what works, what doesnt?

i dont get any errors either

It is non-functional, the code that is on GitHub is what I have put from the very beginning (first revision of code). One thing I noticed is that each specific control is controlled but an action instead of a designated key. For example "F" is no longer the only key for "Flight". Originally "F" used to be tied to some lightning mode. Instead, it is now replaced by motion "jump" which can be any key that was set to motion "JUMP" (that way it works with controllers as well). I am not the best at explaining things as I tend to get extremely lazy typing it out.

So far, Nothing works as I was not even able to get into the game without it crashing. The mod at this point was set to work in conjunction with the multi-script mod, which can be moved with the "include" line. Only thing I did, was edit a couple of controls and redo the edits from the original flying mod, what I did was not special, I wanted to first get it working before adding new things to it, which failed. I was inspired by Gyrths bow and arrow mod which did not change much of the original aschar.as but instead created a script mod that used calls to aschar whilst being a mod separate from anything. That is what also lead me to try to make a multiscript mod. I am not a very good coder and I pretty much gave up at this point so yeah, it is best to either msg me on discord (im on the Wolfire discord) or through steam. I go by YungMoniCA1 on all of them.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 pm

I saw that you had made some progress over the holiday break. How is that looking, and is it possible to put up some changes to the github that was made?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:05 am

so if i understand this correctly, you want to keep as much as possible of the original aschar.as, then add an include (and also function calls?) to the flying mod scripts.

should you then include the modified aschar.as file in your mod?
you have modified it to add the stuff, right?
otherwise nothing would happen

ill try to fix the conflicts with the current aschar (double names etc) and try to make the basics work...
Last edited by Thomason1005 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.