[MAP] Lion Castle

BeholderJack

[MAP] Lion Castle

Post by BeholderJack » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:30 am

This is an indoors map. A plot and quite many dialogues, two endings, moral choices with no consequences, some parkour and many fights. I made to make it as unique and interesting as i could.

Plot: A mysterious dog (you) enters a cat castle with only one purpose: bring justice. Why is he here?

Warnings: There is a weird graphics glitch, which you can see on the first screenshot. Devs said they are aware of it and are going to fix it soon. I also have a very weak laptop, so all levels have less than 10 fps for me. Therefor i could not test their performance. I tried to split the map into small pieces to improve performance.

And i don't think i'm never touching the Overgrowth editor ever again.
Every third time i try to save the map the game crashed without saving. I've been working on this mao for two weeks and i already have almost 200 crash reports. And if you don't save the map every minute, a lot of work needs to be done twice three times per hour. And that's if you're lucky.
The dynamic lights don't work properly. They make no shadows, they go through walls, which created a sourceless glow in an adjacent room, highlighting the right light is a pain in many parts of the body. The latter is actually true for most objects in the editor.
Dialogues are very buggy. To assign roles you have to link a boxes to characters. But you can't just do it, no-o-o-o, that would be too easy. You have to do something, than press ctrl+z, and only then the boxes become highlightable. Character can't be rotated in dialogue, so very often they turn their back on the character they're talking to, awkwardly looking over their shoulder.
The devs clearly state that their game is not designed for indoors levels, which wastes the potential of parkour, stealth and even combat. You can't grab a bar if there is another bar above it. Camera is wild in narrow corridors. And a lot more.
I have gained so much rage, even ranting doesn't help it, i'll need therapy.
I understand that the game and the editor will get better, i'm not saying they are bad, it's just that in the current state in drove me mad.

I really hoped you'll enjoy it, i worked so ve-e-e-ery hard on it.

In the archive there are several levels, the starting one is lion_castle_entrance.xml. The other ones load automatically when you get to the end of the previous one.

I've also attached a full map without plot and enemies, in case somebody wants to create their own level based on my own, which i don't mind at all, just be kind to mention me when you upload it.
Attachments
Lion castle.7z
(62.87 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
castle.xml
The map
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: [MAP] Lion Castle

Post by halzoid » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Goddamn!

This was an incredibly detailed map, Must have taken hours to design.
The castle is perfectly mapped out and the level design reminded me of old tomb raider games xD, little secret areas hidden around in unexpected places and very well designed climbing routes.
The dialogue was well designed and placed within good intervals and alternated itself with text hotspots well to allow gameplay to continue fluidly while still explaining the story.

I had a constant 60-62fps on every part of the level (and the full level map). Though that's because my PC is insanely overpowered, even Timbles has referred to it as "NASA grade" (Though Rodeje25 tends to say it's bad because he prefers Mac's)
[+] Story and path spoilers
I liked the way the level returned you to previously seen locations but from different perspectives, such as going along the second level of room you previously fought rats in over the sewers and gaining a key from the 'chubby cat' to enter a new room near the beginning of the level.

Oh and although feeling slightly bad about it, I kinda' beat down the startled rat who welcomed me into his home and killed the chubby cat...

The sewer/gutter level could have looked really cool with the new water, but not having water doesn't detract anything from the level
OvergrowthScreenshot00011.jpg
EDIT: to spawn the water object, go to the external browser (the folder icon) and spawn Data/Objects/Water_Test.xml

and I never want to see that armoury again... even if it is well designed, it caused me so much hell. I only managed to get to the last 3 cats and I'd be killed, eventually I gave up and just ran past everyone into the next level
Last edited by halzoid on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeholderJack

Post by BeholderJack » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:53 pm

halzoid wrote:Goddamn!

The castle is perfectly mapped out and the level design reminded me of old tomb raider games xD, little secret areas hidden around in unexpected places and very well designed climbing routes.
The dialogue was well designed and placed within good intervals and alternated itself with text hotspots well to allow gameplay to continue fluidly while still explaining the story.

I had a constant 60-62fps on every part of the level (and the full level map). Though that's because my PC is insanely overpowered, even Timbles has referred to it as "NASA grade" (Though Rodeje25 tends to say it's bad because he prefers Mac's)
I liked the way the level returned you to previously seen locations but from different perspectives, such as going along the second level of room you previously fought rats in over the sewers and gaining a key from the 'chubby cat' to enter a new room near the beginning of the level.

Oh and although feeling slightly bad about it, I kinda' beat down the startled rat who welcomed me into his home and killed the chubby cat...

The sewer/gutter level could have looked really cool with the new water, but not having water doesn't detract anything from the level
and I never want to see that armoury again... even if it is well designed, it caused me so much hell. I only managed to get to the last 3 cats and I'd be killed, eventually I gave up and just ran past everyone into the next level
Thank you! I'm really glad to hear you liked the map.
[+] Spoilers
The water would indeed be awesome, and i wanted to add it to the sewers, but couldn't figure out how. When i tried to load the water interactive object, it gave me an error, saying it couldn't find some water prefab.
The armoury is completable if you are quick and cut most of them before they can even react, and finishing off the remaining ones before they can grab a weapon. Due to my fps on that level being around 5 i had to test the level in slow motion, so being fast did the trick.
Also, the displaytext thingy didn't work properly all the time, so there are two messages that just flash instead of staying on screen. No idea how to fix this.
If some parts are too difficult, someone found a bug that is my fault and not the engine's, someone has suggestions or something like that, i might change something in the map and upload the new version.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm really looking forwards to playing this. Looks really good.
It's been a while since someone's made a large map in Overgrowth.

Once I get home and on my PC, I'll definitely play it and give some feedback.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:31 pm

BeholderJack wrote:The dynamic lights don't work properly. They make no shadows
The dynamic lights are not meant to make dynamic shadows.
BeholderJack wrote:Every third time i try to save the map the game crashed without saving. I've been working on this mao for two weeks and i already have almost 200 crash reports.
I'm unable to find any bug reports about this on our tracker. It would be great if you submitted a bug report about this because we are not able to reproduce this bug on our end. So if you would like to help us fix this bug, send a bug report about this in an email to [email protected] describing the issue in as much detail as you can. If the game brings up a folder with 4 files in it when it crashes, zip that folder and attach it to the email, otherwise attach these two files to the email (paths assume you're using Windows):
1. The "hwreport" file from your "C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data" folder.
2. The "logfile" file from your "C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth" folder.
BeholderJack wrote:Dialogues are very buggy. To assign roles you have to link a boxes to characters. But you can't just do it, no-o-o-o, that would be too easy. You have to do something, than press ctrl+z, and only then the boxes become highlightable.
I've tried finding a bug report in our tracker or reproducing this one too, but have been unable to. A bug report with step-by-step instructions would be appreciated to help us figure this out.
BeholderJack wrote:There is a weird graphics glitch, which you can see on the first screenshot. Devs said they are aware of it and are going to fix it soon.
I think that bug happens because there are too many lights affecting those pixels, causing this glitch to appear. As far as I know this isn't something we're planning on fixing right now since we probably won't have that many lights affect a single pixel in our official content. I think this won't happen if you decrease the size of the lights so they don't overlap as much.

Looks like a cool level, looking forward to playing through it!

BeholderJack

Post by BeholderJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Silverfish wrote:
BeholderJack wrote:Every third time i try to save the map the game crashed without saving. I've been working on this mao for two weeks and i already have almost 200 crash reports.
I'm unable to find any bug reports about this on our tracker. It would be great if you submitted a bug report about this because we are not able to reproduce this bug on our end. So if you would like to help us fix this bug, send a bug report about this in an email to [email protected] describing the issue in as much detail as you can. If the game brings up a folder with 4 files in it when it crashes, zip that folder and attach it to the email, otherwise attach these two files to the email (paths assume you're using Windows):
1. The "hwreport" file from your "C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data" folder.
2. The "logfile" file from your "C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth" folder.
I have submitted it, the case number is 5053.
Silverfish wrote:
BeholderJack wrote:Dialogues are very buggy. To assign roles you have to link a boxes to characters. But you can't just do it, no-o-o-o, that would be too easy. You have to do something, than press ctrl+z, and only then the boxes become highlightable.
I've tried finding a bug report in our tracker or reproducing this one too, but have been unable to. A bug report with step-by-step instructions would be appreciated to help us figure this out.
There really isn't much to it, when the dialogue box with little actor boxes is spawned, the little ones aren't highlitable, you have to press ctrl+z for them to be selectable. Still, i will report it to [email protected]

I really meant no offence, i hope none is taken.
I think that after you're done with all the content for your official campaign you should fix stuff like that, that is not meant to be in the official campaign. Like fixing the lights bug, improving indoor levels support, let there be multiple ledges one above another and, actually, a lot of stuff like that. Yeah, it can be done later, so the official campaign is out sooner and the game in general is finished, just please don't give up on Overgrowth once it's out. Make modding better.
Silverfish wrote: Looks like a cool level, looking forward to playing through it!
Yay, thank you.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:49 am

I found the case and see that it is in progress, thank you for helping out! And of course, no offense taken. :)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Finally Played This.

Post by Constance » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Oh god the framerate.
I really wish I could run the maps well, but it almost always ran absolutely horribly.
Here's a tip for optimization: Make the floor of areas like the sewers as one, large object instead of tiles. It'd probably make it easier to run.
[+] Spoiler-y Things
The 'armoury' (it was called the barracks in the file) was pretty unbearable. I noticed that some people actually stood still and just watched, but all that really did was make it hard to distinguish who was actually gonna fight me, and who was going to soak up my framerate like a sponge. Because I loaded the barrack level through the end of the last level and not the main menu, I couldn't use debug keys, AKA, I couldn't slow down time.

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but the protagonist felt like an absolute psychopath. You have the option to kill anyone at any point, they're practically a vigilante, etc.
But the part where I was convinced that you play as an absolute psychopath is when you confront Jack. Instead of trying to explain their own goal of murdering all the cats, they just leapt right into battle. Right after you kill Jack, you absolutely have the option to just straight up murder the two others next to Jack without Piercer giving a single fuck.

Piercer also seems to have a 'crazy' look to them...

Not even to mention how ridiculously impatient Piercer is with Nashoy. Seriously, I hope it's intentional because Piercer is one hell of a bloodhound.

I also felt like Jack should've been wielding a sword instead of a knife weapon; the way it stands, Jack's fight feels more like a battle of attrition than it is an actual fight. Also, in Jack's fight, I feel like there should be a small 'curb' against the bottom of the walls to prevent your sword from getting stuck under the walls after Jack knocks it out of your hands.

One way you can justify the protagonist's absolute bloodlust towards Jack and their (wives???) is whether or not the rats in the castle are actually part of the kingdom, or they just lived in its sewers (I got the impression of the latter).

The rat's 'sanctuary' could probably do a lot better with some decorations too, like a table, chair, some baskets, etc, just to make it seem more like someone's actually living in it. That, and I'm curious on why that specific area is the rat's sanctuary when there are plenty other rats in the castle sewers.

Also, how do you trigger the second ending? After beating the fight in the Cathedral, there's no other dialogue or anything else in the level.
The walls are awfully tight, and that's fine; I just feel like an open space or two would benefit greatly.

On lion_castle_stairs.xml, when I try and progress, it displays 'Target level not set'.
In lion_castle_top_floor.xml, I found that the door behind the Giant Cat never opens, so you can't progress after the fight. Even after you bypass the door, there's no Load Level hotspot or anything linking to the Cathedral.
I also feel a cathedral should have some statues or some pillars or something.

It's worth mentioning that every enemy that uses a Sledgehammer uses a completely normal moveset. The enemy with a Rabbit Catcher in the Cathedral also uses a completely normal moveset.

I actually really enjoyed the Cathedral fight for some reason. It felt pretty tense. I had to pull all the tricks I could manage.

BeholderJack

Re: Finally Played This.

Post by BeholderJack » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:24 am

Timbles wrote:Oh god the framerate.
I really wish I could run the maps well, but it almost always ran absolutely horribly.
Here's a tip for optimization: Make the floor of areas like the sewers as one, large object instead of tiles. It'd probably make it easier to run.
The map used to consist of tiles only, as it was easier to change if i needed to. When i was happy with how the map looked, i replaced most of the tiles with big walls. The levels had about 15-20 fps without enemies, but it dropped to 10-15 if i even added one. The lag might also be due to decorative details like bones, weapons and papers.
Timbles wrote:
[+] Spoiler-y Things
The 'armoury' (it was called the barracks in the file) was pretty unbearable. I noticed that some people actually stood still and just watched, but all that really did was make it hard to distinguish who was actually gonna fight me, and who was going to soak up my framerate like a sponge. Because I loaded the barrack level through the end of the last level and not the main menu, I couldn't use debug keys, AKA, I couldn't slow down time.
[+] Spoiler-y Things
The reason you can't activate developer's mod is, i guess, the way the game does loading levels. I guess it loads them the same way the new arena maps are loaded.
I can decrease the number of guards by 50% and arm them automatically, so they don't fight barehanded like idiots.
Timbles wrote:
[+] Spoiler-y Things
I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but the protagonist felt like an absolute psychopath. You have the option to kill anyone at any point, they're practically a vigilante, etc.
But the part where I was convinced that you play as an absolute psychopath is when you confront Jack. Instead of trying to explain their own goal of murdering all the cats, they just leapt right into battle. Right after you kill Jack, you absolutely have the option to just straight up murder the two others next to Jack without Piercer giving a single fuck.
Not even to mention how ridiculously impatient Piercer is with Nashoy. Seriously, I hope it's intentional because Piercer is one hell of a bloodhound.
[+] Spoiler-y Things
Piercer doesn't hesitate to kill Jack because Jack's people and he himself didn't hesitate to try and kill him. He may be called a psycho, as he kills or just harms people who he doesn't deem worthy of living. That's basically his main goal of life: kill everyone not worthy.
He, however, has the option not to kill the unarmed and the ones that don't harm him. And the option to kill them anyway. The decision is given to the player, so in one person's hand piercer might have a shred of honor, while someone will play him as a complete bloodthirsty vigilante.
This is my avatar from now on.
Timbles wrote:
[+] Spoiler-y Things
I also felt like Jack should've been wielding a sword instead of a knife weapon; the way it stands, Jack's fight feels more like a battle of attrition than it is an actual fight. Also, in Jack's fight, I feel like there should be a small 'curb' against the bottom of the walls to prevent your sword from getting stuck under the walls after Jack knocks it out of your hands.
I can do that.
Timbles wrote:
[+] Spoiler-y Things
One way you can justify the protagonist's absolute bloodlust towards Jack and their (wives???) is whether or not the rats in the castle are actually part of the kingdom, or they just lived in its sewers (I got the impression of the latter).

The rat's 'sanctuary' could probably do a lot better with some decorations too, like a table, chair, some baskets, etc, just to make it seem more like someone's actually living in it. That, and I'm curious on why that specific area is the rat's sanctuary when there are plenty other rats in the castle sewers.
[+] Spoiler-y Things
The rats just lived in the sewers. Why Piercer kills them i have already explained.
I can add some decorations. And that one rat is the only rat who doesn't live in the sewers. He chose to escape from his little tribe and live in the castle walls, stealing supplies instead of eating trash.
Timbles wrote:
[+] Spoiler-y Things
On lion_castle_stairs.xml, when I try and progress, it displays 'Target level not set'.
In lion_castle_top_floor.xml, I found that the door behind the Giant Cat never opens, so you can't progress after the fight. Even after you bypass the door, there's no Load Level hotspot or anything linking to the Cathedral.
[+] Spoiler-y Things
The "Target level not set" happens sometimes for some reason, and it's not my fault. It's just that sometimes the game feels like returning the "load level" value to default. Why? No idea. I could go into the editor and check if the connection still exists in my map, or if it happened to you only.
There are two endings, you choose one in the corridors level. You either go to the right after the rat's sanctuary, or left. On the left you go to the cathedral and kill Nashoy. On the right you go through the stairs and fight the captain of the guard on the top floor. When you get the message that all the enemies on the level are dead and you win - that means you've completed the map, as the "kill all" script is disabled on all other levels.
I think i will try to fix the things i mentioned today and upload the new version tomorrow.
Also, was the map worth playing or making in the first place? Aside from things i should (and will) fix, how did you like it?

BeholderJack

Post by BeholderJack » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:47 am

Alright, i tried to fix the problems. But the game started crashing every time i try to save, making it absolutely impossible to make any changes. I'll fix these problems once the bug is fixed.
And once i do, maybe i'll make a new level? I don't know, should I?

die_sataman

Post by die_sataman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 am

How do i download?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 am

die_sataman wrote:How do i download?
From the download links in the first post maybe?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:49 pm

halzoid wrote:Goddamn!

EDIT: to spawn the water object, go to the external browser (the folder icon) and spawn Data/Objects/Water_Test.xml

"(Though Rodeje25 tends to say it's bad because he prefers Mac's)"

OH HELL NO YOU AIN'T GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!
I'd say my computer can't handle the map because it's from 2007.
And still you and your "beast" computer can't compete against my csgo skills since i still rek you in that game. Fuck i even rek you in warthunder and in chess and... This list is too long. I have to get back to my schoolwork.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:54 pm

[this message has been removed by the user for being off topic]
Last edited by halzoid on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:57 pm

halzoid wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:you and your "beast" computer can't compete against my csgo skills since i still rek you in that game.
[+] Then enjoy this image of the first 1v1 we had...
2016-01-10_00003.jpg
Our first 1v1 was on DE_Dust2 A long only.
Good to see you're still yourself, lying like always.