Skeleton / mesh vertex mismatch?

orcinus

Skeleton / mesh vertex mismatch?

Post by orcinus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Is the vertex count for a particular rig fixed or limited or something?

When i import a mesh that has the same vertex count as the original bunny (e.g. take the original bunny and resculpt it) parent it to the rig, and export the OBJ and the PHXBN, everything’s fine.

But when i import a completely new mesh (or, for testing purposes, a 1x subdivided bunny), parent it to the rig, and export, i get a vertex mismatch error.

I’ve checked and the OBJ and the PHXBN *are* close in size in the latter example, so i 100% haven’t mixed them up. And i did do things by the book. The rig works fine in Blender, poses fine. I must be selecting the correct thing when exporting, or it wouldn’t work in the first (original vertex count) case either.

What am i doing wrong?

merlyn

Re: Skeleton / mesh vertex mismatch?

Post by merlyn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Not entirely sure. I suspect using multiple objects, having degenerate triangles, or not properly triangulating the model might cause this problem. If your model isn't symmetrical that will also cause problems.

orcinus

Re: Skeleton / mesh vertex mismatch?

Post by orcinus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Figured it out, and you're right.

First time around, when i just exported a Bipedal Blob (TM) from Zbrush, it wasn't symmetrical.
Second time around, when i thought i was being smart by eliminating Zbrush from the equation, by subdividing the mesh in Blender, Blender was creating quads from tris.

Tab, A, Ctrl/Cmd+T (convert quads to tris), and - problem fixed.