[Filepaths] and why we can't find them (.xml help)

Majikmon

[Filepaths] and why we can't find them (.xml help)

Post by Majikmon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 pm

I've been playing the 2018 Map Jam maps and have seen some really cool assets that I want to find uses for in my own future maps or were just curious about. The problem is...I cannot find those assets in my OG folders, or even the level files that those assets are in. When I open the game and load a level from the main menu, everything works fine. However, if a level doesn't show up in the main menu, I can't go into my OG (Steam) folder and manually track it down, because it isn't there.

With that being said, where do all those wonderful files go that the game can access easily, but is apparently invisible to me? Do the subscribed mods only put some files in the Steam folder and others someplace else? I can see the 'filepath' of the objects and such in-game, but they don't line up with what is there in the game's folder. Help me out here.

Here's a couple of the filepaths that don't exist in my game folder, but loaded fine with the game: https://imgur.com/a/TJoJf

merlyn

Re: [Filepaths] and why we can't find them (.xml help)

Post by merlyn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:42 am

Majikmon wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 pm
With that being said, where do all those wonderful files go that the game can access easily, but is apparently invisible to me? Do the subscribed mods only put some files in the Steam folder and others someplace else? I can see the 'filepath' of the objects and such in-game, but they don't line up with what is there in the game's folder. Help me out here.
Steam workshop mods are installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\25000 by default, under a folder with its name equal to the mod's workshop id.

If a workshop mod doesn't have its level in the menus, or under "Custom Levels", then that's probably strange because it would be hard to find.

Majikmon

Post by Majikmon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 am

I see. I did not know that the workshop content was kept so separate from the rest of the game files. It didn't help that the in-game filepaths seen in the editor only give the last 3 steps of the full path. Thanks for clearing that up.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Majikmon wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 am
I did not know that the workshop content was kept so separate from the rest of the game files.
Yep, Steam's choice, not ours :)
Majikmon wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:57 am
It didn't help that the in-game filepaths seen in the editor only give the last 3 steps of the full path
I can see why this would be confusing.

There are some things that would be improved by keeping both the relative path *and* the source (base game, or mod w/ given mod id), and if we end up adding that then it would probably be a good idea for us to expose that through the editor too.