[Suggestion] Immersive First Person Perspective

NeurofunkPunk

[Suggestion] Immersive First Person Perspective

Post by NeurofunkPunk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm

So...
I like the first person mod by TurboTurnip.
It gives you completely different perspective on the game's world, and looks awesome when doing some parkour.
But with mod enabled i find combat to be absolutely not immersive.
There's no head bob.
For example, when missing while performing a roundhouse kick, Turner does a 360 spin.
With the mod enabled it looks like Turner is some undead terminator, that has limitless head turn axis, and is locked on to the enemy.
So, i have messed a bit with modified aschar.as, to see what i can do to maybe improve it.
I wanted to make the camera stick to Turner's head while performing an attack
And i did just that except, the view was reset to whatever angle i was looking before performing some attacks (Quite a pity when it comes to immersion)
Then i decided to make camera allways stick to Turner's head using "state==_movement_state".
It looked amazing during combat whith one opponent, but if there were two, Turner's AI Headtracking was still focused on the one that i knocked out.
If there were no opponents i had no controll over Turner's head, and so... I couldn't do any parkour, or any directed movement.
There was a mod by Korban3, that was pretty immersive with a lot of effort put into head bobing
It wasn't stable enought to play every level with it, and converting it to current version of Overgrowth is undoable for my skills. (Let alone optimizing it, and fixing it)

I think that adding First Person Perspective made profecionally into the game would by very nice.
Maybe with some configuration in the options menu, to fit everybody's needs?
Different movement method fitting said perspective.

Doing stealth with First Person is an added challege.
You need to peek through cover to know enemy's location.
Every attack limits your knowledge of combat situation.
But having no head bob is really frustrating, at least for me.

Let me know what you think :)

PS:
Sorry for occasional language mistakes
I'm from Poland

Skogi

Re: [Suggestion] Immersive First Person Perspective

Post by Skogi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Yo, Korban3 on new account because lost all stuff to access old one.

Yeah, when I did the original I kinda wanted the same thing so I basically just locked the camera to the position and rotation of one of the bones in the head IK chain. The problem arose that sometimes when requesting the transform of the bone, it returned null and I got a crash, that's why it was unstable. I was never able to figure that out.

I'm not sure how the latest rebuilds of it have changed what's done internally in it. Unfortunately I can't spare the time these days to actually rebuild it myself or make any changes. Overgrowth's combat is definitely not built around first person, so I don't think there's any way to make it really that good. A first person shooter mod would be fun at some point though, that could work well with some revamped melee stuff. Big undertaking though.