Project Showoff

Alpharius

Re: Project Showoff

Post by Alpharius » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:51 pm

The Fool Arcana wrote:I'm not really all that good when it comes to programming, but I think you just need to copy and paste his sky DomeTexture line into the xml of a new map. Here is his Sky box text (as far as I can tell):

<Sky>
<DomeTexture>Data/Custom/Markuss/BlueShards/Sky.tga</DomeTexture>
<SunAngularRad>0.164759</SunAngularRad>
<SunColorAngle>313.404</SunColorAngle>
<RayToSun r0="-0.084527" r1="0.491242" r2="0.866912" />
<ExtraAO>1</ExtraAO>
</Sky>

The spacing isn't actually shown but the first indented line (DomeTexture) should be what you are after. Just be sure that the 3 Sky.tga files are still there. I haven't tested it, but I hope that works.
well, the three files are all in there, but i cant find the "Dome Texture" part

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Alpharius wrote:
ariehl wrote:
Alpharius wrote:anybody know how I can change the skybox? I would like to see how the Blue Shards skybox looks on my new map
You can change it in the xml file, just open up the blueshards level, and find the sky section, then copy and paste that into your level's file. You will also need to change to the night shader (according to Marcuss) but I don't know how to do that...
did that. plus, i was originally working on the painted desert(night) map, so the shader is already on night. when i load the map i get a series of error messages, it switches to "defalt textures' and the whole sky is blank, which i dont understand because i've already moved all of the Marcuss files to the proper overgrowth files. But the Blue shards map works just fine, so i'm kinda lost.

So it turns out that Marcuss provided only the converted sky dome, and not the original files, so what you will need to do is this:
Go to Marcuss' custom folder, in the folder called BlueShards find the files called Sky.tga_blueshards_cube_diffuse.dds, Sky.tga_blueshards_cube_spec.dds, and Sky.tga_blueshards_cube.dds then duplicate them. On the duplicate versions, rename them so that they are exactly the same, except that the portion "blueshards" matches the name of your level. That will be the only way to do it, unless he provides the original .tga file.

Hope that helps.

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 am

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

ok awesome. Now do I put this in the BlueShards folder or textures?

EDIT: NVM it works. thanks guys

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:08 am

Hey, here's a map I've been working on. Overgrowth freezes on me when I try to take screenshots, so sorry about that, and I don't have a video, so again, sorry about that :oops: My name for this map right now is "Gymnasium", and it's just a really big Parkour course. I tried to design it so that there was only one way to the top, and I think I accomplished that, but definitely show me if you find a loophole in the construction. This will just replace your dead volcano xml file in the project 60 folder, no extra textures or anything. This is my first real map, have fun and hope you like it :D

NOTE: This is a very big map. It includes hundreds and hundreds of blocks. Your computer may run it slowly.

EDIT: I got screenshots working! Here are some:
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 12.55.56 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 12.55.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 12.54.05 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 12.52.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-03 at 12.51.53 PM.png
8_dead_volcano.xml.zip
"Gymnasium"
(70.69 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by Jacktheawesome on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jixxen

Post by jixxen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:34 pm

What about videos made from Overgrowth? I can 'showoff' here?

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:43 pm

As a proof of concept, I made a little model just to see if I could get it into the game, and what the engine is like. After much deliberation and hours of painful reworking and stressing and searching for answers, I realised that I had made a rookie mistake and that the engine is an absolute breeze to model for. It also likes square textures that are high res, this model uses a 512*512 map and you can really see it. So 1024's from now on!
yeyyy.PNG
The engine also loves extremely vibrant normal maps, I had to convert my diffuse to a prewitt 3x3 normal map in gimp to see the normals. I guess this also depends on the specularity of the object. Have a look at my vibrant party smarties normal map:
signpost_01_nor.png
signpost_01_nor.png (279.6 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
I also love how flexible the engine is, I have been modeling for the source engine for ages now and every one of the... well probably around 50 models I made were an absolute pain to compile and troubleshoot. I had a look through the files that came with Overgrowth and I love how simple it is to understand! The maps are all well named and just by fiddling with them you can see what they do. Wind maps for leaves, what a good idea! And the .XML files are easy to see, and ever so moddable. I don't know the first thing about programming but I can see how you can make just about any content for the game, from new models and textures to new animations and materials.

Some things I haven't cottoned onto yet is the use of weight maps and how to create physical calculation models. But I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with. I'd also like to see LOD models, mip maps and multiple textures on a single model (which is probably already there now that I think of it).

Looking forward to creating some nice models for this engine!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm glad you got everything working, I'm looking forward to seeing more work from you!

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:30 am

Black_Stormy, in regards to your texture looking blurry, did you set texture_reduce to 0 in the config file?

I agree this engine is very easy to understand and work with, especially compared to the Source engine. Wolfire are doing an amazing job!

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:...this model uses a 512*512 map and you can really see it. So 1024's from now on!
It's great that your stuff is working. Looking good!

One thing you should probably try out is changing "texture reduce" to "0" in the config. Some people were having texture memory issues, so we set it on by default. Once you change it, you will have to delete or update your texture to get it to recalculate the .dds file

[edit]

*Looks at the post above*

Silverfish beat me to it :)

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Yes he did. It made a tiny bit of difference, but enough. 512 maps are ok after all.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah the resolution of your textures should be effectively doubled when you set texture_reduce to 0, so it should make things look a bit better.

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 am

Next up, well I balee dat's me! (listening to too much funkoars)
yeyyy.PNG
Pretty proud of that one. It might not really fit in with the rest of the decor, but it's 100% hand painted textures. Drop a line if you want it.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:37 am

Looks really nice, I like the texture, looks like it would fit in TF2.

ZramuliZ

Post by ZramuliZ » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:29 pm

My first level is ready!
The goal is to get from the green rock on the bottom to the trees on the bottom-left of the image. There are multiple paths and if you get lost, try following the bushes that grow on top of some of the pillars. It's not too long level, but you can try finding better routes to get to the goal faster!

Attachments
ruins.xml
(71.61 KiB) Downloaded 92 times