Receiver Stories - share them here

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Teh_Bucket

Receiver Stories - share them here

Post by Teh_Bucket » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 pm

If you just played through a life on receiver and it made you feel awesome, post it here.

Coincidence

Re: Receiver Stories - share them here

Post by Coincidence » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 pm

There is nothing more exhilarating than shooting down one of those damn tazer-bots. They are usually so difficult to shoot and even worse to try and outrun.

Speaking of tazer bots. I shot one when it was charging at me and it hit me but didn't tazer me. It sort of just hung around me bumping against my head. I thought I must have shot its tazer and it was now desperately trying to kill me without a primary weapon (ha!). I was low on bullets so I didn't bother trying to shoot it again to disable it completely. I walked around with it nudging against me for another twenty minutes and found ten out of eleven of the tapes. And just when I was about to pick up the last tape (I had my finger on the 'g' key) the tazer bot remembered it had a weapon and killed me right then and there.

I have never ragequitted harder.

Teh_Bucket

Post by Teh_Bucket » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:07 pm

I agree. It's easy to ragequit sometimes. But I keep going back.

I shot a turret in the motor, through the one doorframe I could get through. It was pointing right at me. No way out.

Another time I found a room full of 4 hoverers in my way; I somehow managed to shoot them all down while keeping my heartbeat, but then I fool-heartedly walk into the room and get shot by the one turret.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Argh, that's the worst.

I always go back to Receiver because it is something I can just have fun with. I needn't the moans and drones of military officials in my ear telling me to trek to 'X' objective to kill 'X' many bad guys. It is only me, my wits and my gun.

It is remarkable how a game with only two different enemy types can be so challenging. I had thought I mastered shooting the killbot's camera, but something always happens to complicate things. I love it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Coincidence wrote: I always go back to Receiver because it is something I can just have fun with. I needn't the moans and drones of military officials in my ear telling me to trek to 'X' objective to kill 'X' many bad guys. It is only me, my wits and my gun.

It is remarkable how a game with only two different enemy types can be so challenging. I had thought I mastered shooting the killbot's camera, but something always happens to complicate things. I love it.
Quick, implement emergent behaviour and gameplay!
My favorite things to do so far, when I'm not actually trying to get all the tapes, is to
A. Shoot myself
B. Shoot windows
C. Pull the slide back a bunch and throw all my rounds on the floor... and pick them up and do it again

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I really like preparing right at the start, I start by ejecting all my shells, but catching them in mid air so as not to lose any, and then I remove my magazine and load whichever magazine has the most rounds still in it. I dunno, just the general feeling of running through the routine is kind of cool.

Teh_Bucket

Post by Teh_Bucket » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:47 pm

One time, early on in my Receiver training, I was trying to figure out the slide and reload stuff and ended out emptying my clip on the floor several times. Then I realized my brother was watching the whole time. Way to make me feel stupid.

But it's all worth it for that incredibly epic feeling you get when you're doing all the reloading stuff in the middle of a hoverer fight.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:40 am

I just went back and played Receiver again. I found four tapes in the starting room. Those receivers are very impatient to get my initiation going.

Law

Post by Law » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 am

I was told by a tape that I was asleep, but awake also, yet I couldn't help but feel that my other self was actively slowing my progress. I certainly noticed how my movement and looking actually seemed to lag behind my mind as I crept around.*

The gun I held shook in my mind, though when I looked, it was still and steady. I felt ready, though at the same time, I also felt deep down the terror of what had come about. I vaguely remember training. I think I felt like a fool at the time... or was that just looking back at then?

Anyway, I-
[...Record end.]

*Referring to playing performance.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:59 am

Once I was quite far through the game, up to about 6 or 7 tapes, and I walked into a room which literally had about 9-11 taser bots in it (not exaggerating) and of course most of them saw me, so I just ran for my life- straight off of a very high ledge.

jim2point0

Post by jim2point0 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 am

All of my stories go kinda like this:

I carefully walk through each level surgically taking out the turrets by shooting their camera or motor. Then I see a tazer bot, shoot at its weak point 3 times and miss. Then I die.

Then I close the game and say I'll never play it again.

Amayirot Akago

Post by Amayirot Akago » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 am

Climbing up a staircase, I see a turret in front of me. Naturally, I shoot its weak point and disable it. Suddenly I hear a BEEP, and quickly turn around to face a killdrone speeding towards me. Quickly, I shoot it, and manage to disable it too. Breathing a sigh of relief, I remove my gun's magazine to refill it, but before I put away my gun, I suddenly hear another BEEP, and turn to find another turret right next to me that I hadn't spotted yet. In a split second, before it can fire, I fire the last bullet remaining in the gun's chamber, and, miracle of miracles, manage to shoot the turret directly in its weak spot.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Once, I sprinted into a corridor full of 5 hoverbots and 3 turrets. I actually survived. And you can always do that too, it's not luck. I thought for sure I would die though.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I once shot a turret's motor and the bullet ricocheted back at me and killed me.

I once back-pedaled off the top of a staircase while trying to shoot a tazerbot with full-auto on the Glock and fell to my death.

I once tried to shoot the full-auto on the Glock but my "v" key didn't respond at I shot at it one pitiful time before it charged at me and killed me.

I once shot out a tazerbot's motor, but forgot to shoot out the camera and it killed me when I walked up to it and it lay on the ground.

I once found five tapes, a flashlight and seventeen 1911 bullets in a completely unguarded room about five minutes into a session.

I love this game.

arenter

Post by arenter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:10 am

Best incident: spawning directly next to a tape, a flashlight and a heap of bullets, then finding a nother 3 tapes in the same room: continued : worst incident:then when I walked out I was killed by a killbot, let's just say, RAGEQUIT :x :x :x :x :x