Receiver Stories - share them here

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
YourMessageHere

Re: Receiver Stories - share them here

Post by YourMessageHere » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:20 pm

I shot the camera on a flying drone, completely by chance. It flew around in circles, blind; I went to just ignore it and move on, but thought I could hear another flying drone somewhere, and anyway you know how far away the sound of those things carries, so decided to go back and finish it off so I could hear properly. Damn thing absorbed five bullets before it finally gave up. That's when I went to reload and found that I was completely out of ammo. Things went rapidly downhill.

Similarly, I shot out some part of a flying drone near a door in such a way that it crashed but could still see me, and when I got close to go through the door it fired up its stungun. I walked up to it to give it the coup de grace but was shot in the back by the turret I never even heard, thanks to its fizzing.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 am

I swear to god - I heard footprints of another person, or thing across a hallway. It happened completely unexpectedly. There was 2 different paths to the left and right of me, and I stopped to decide which way to go. When suddenly I heard low pitched footsteps. Two of them. They might've been to the right. But my heart stopped. I even stopped looking around in any way. Two more eerie footsteps.

......EXIT EXIT OH MY FUCKING GOD EXIT NOW ABORT ABORT AHHGHGHGHHGHH

likemecake202

Post by likemecake202 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:57 pm

This one time I spawned next to a tazorbot and it killed me (I exited the game without knowing it would do that.)

Then, I had a glock the next time I spawned and saw at least 4 tazorbots. I killed the first one as fast as the lord could call my name. Then, in the same session I saw 3 more and 2 charged at me and I killed the first one in panic with one bullet then the other one was chasing me. I ran near a vent and sharply turned and it hit the wall and fell to the ground inbetween the vent and wall. I then heard a BEEP! And it was done pusuing me. (It probubly thought I was too hard to kill. :D ) I then shot it in the helicopter blade things and it died then I walked into the the next room and got off 2 or 3 shots before I had to reload. The bots chased me into the doorway and went behind me when they tazored me. :lol:

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Wait - you killed how many tazerbots with one shots?

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Well I once found 3 tazerbots in an open wide block, they all saw me and followed me into the next building. I had a Glock and a half full magazine. I ran some until I heard them darn things just an inch from me. I turned back with the... Auto fire mode? Hit them all, fell right to my feet. I've never felt so good in that game.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Retarded Username wrote:Hit them all, fell right to my feet. I've never felt so good in that game.
Does everybody but me have good luck or something?

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Timbles wrote: Does everybody but me have good luck or something?
Be aware that I've failed 70 playthroughs before that happened.

Spadkins

Post by Spadkins » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Well, my most recent sad story was when I had 5 tapes and a glock, and I spent all of my ammo (2 full mags) methodically clearing 3 blocks full of drones, and I walk into a bedroom with a single turret facing me. I charge it and stand on top of it when I see a single bullet laying on the ground by my feet. So I pick it up and I hear a beep. Turning to the next room, I see another turret, and a tazerbot. I shoot the turret while backpedaling into a wall.
And it dies.
And the bullet ricocheted into the drone.
And it dies.
And the bullet ricocheted into the other turret.
And it dies.
And the bullet ricocheted into me.
And I die. :( (I really don't know how that's possible, but it happened)

BUT, right after that I spawned with four beeping drones next to me and a fully loaded glock in my hands. So naturally, I pressed v, closed my eyes, held the trigger, and screamed bloody murder until I ran out of ammo. They were all lying on the ground dead. 8)

Hazardous

Post by Hazardous » Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 pm

I would like to say I purchased receiver today and I am so happy with it, I simply cannot find the words to express the satisfaction I get. To my story, so there I was running around with one round in the chamber hoping to find any ammo and no bots in the next area, to which I arrived in a large outside open area consisting of stairs, a small diamond shaped path and an uncertain amount of doors. As I was passing by the path hoping to avoid any turrets, I hear that distinct *beep* that one of the bots had detected me, and my heart sank, I quickly attacked the 'w' key repeatedly going back to the entrance I had come from, turned around, and *BAM*. Shot the zapper right in the batt'. 8)
I dunno what it is that I felt, but it was good! It was a mix of Panic, fear, dependence on my firearm and hope of my aim. I must say, amazing job to the Wolfire team. Receiver is a great piece of work and as I love the current build (albeit, updates are always welcome :3), I would love to see a zombie survival mod to the game which will have the pace and dedication/work wolfire put in receiver.

vanzann

Post by vanzann » Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 am

Hazardous wrote:I would like to say I purchased receiver today and I am so happy with it, I simply cannot find the words to express the satisfaction I get.
Exactly how I feel :D

After purchasing receiver this morning & a 5 hour straight run, I think my last play was the funniest. Fresh spawn, 1911 with 3 full mags & plenty spare rounds, a excellent spawn I thought. I check the chamber & see a round sitting ready to go, so off I trot to the first room, straight away I have a buzzer flying straight to my face, I line the shot up & pull the trigger......nothing......as my fried corpse is on its way to the floor I notice the hammer is down....I forgot to pull it back. Damn... :lol:

But Im still grinning, amazing game I plan on sinking many many hours into. :D :D

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Sun May 05, 2013 2:17 pm

This thread seems to be made with me in mind, I love getting up to all sorts of shenanigans in Receiver.

I'm utterly awful at writing these, so forgive my poor structuring. I hope not too many of your brain cells commit suicide whilst reading this.

Right, so one time I was going around and shooting the magnum (obviously the best weapon in the game due to being able to spin it around and feel badass whilst doing so) feeling like a cowboy, I encountered a room of about 5 UFO things - since you can just peek around doors shooting ones that are inside a room isn't much of an issue - I killed the ones I could see. I then, foolishly, run in and grab the tape. Whilst listening to it I hear a buzzing behind me so I instantly book it out of the room and proceed to get mushed by 2 turrets, that was my best run with 5 tapes. I felt like beating my computer with whatever I could get my hands on ;-;

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Mon May 06, 2013 5:48 am

Just now I had one of the funniest receiver runs ever.

I walked into this room with a couple of turrets, I take them out and then notice that there were two flashlight spawns, which was slightly amusing. After that I walk forwards and notice a beep followed by a hoverbot madly flying at me. I empty my mag on it and it just eats up all of the bullets, so I start walking backwards, accepting my fate, as the killbot just slams into a pillar and kills itself. xD

TehEpic

Post by TehEpic » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 am

Oh my God, I just had the most amazing run ever.

Spawned with a colt, 1 mag and 1 bullet in the chamber. I shot a single hoverbot and then ran into the room and got some ammo. I then used that up and found myself without ammo. So I just shouted "For Narnia" and started booking it with my gun holstered mashing w. I got through about 4 rooms and found 3 cassettes.

What the last room looked like, there were about 2 more out of sight

http://imgur.com/obcH41u

(I still haven't learnt how to use BB code images. Whenever I use the [img] tags it just shows a ? instead of my image :| )

Cooperal

Post by Cooperal » Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am

I have no special stories but like many I commonly have "moments". I often try to substitute shooting with stealth. More recently I've even been experimenting with the idea of pacifist runs. I found there's no better way to get your heart racing than this. Sometimes you have no choice to to get spotted to progress. Every other room is like a race over hot coal.

I may get around to making a montage or tutorial about some of the crazy things I got away with while playing this way (don't worry, no ill-fitting music shall accompany it). In the unlikely event that I grab all 11 tapes as a pacifist, I'll probably throw that up instead.

Meanwhile I'm working on some "shorts" of general gameplay. One episode is already uploaded at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B0k9k_cmDE.

It features two handfuls of sneaky and/or resilient enemies, a lot of swearing that I don't remember shouting (at least not at that quantity) and a few small but fatal mistakes. I'd like to think it highlights the essence of some of those brutal moments we've all gone through. Oh and there's a little bit of me fooling around with my weapon so as to not COMPLETELY distort the pace of the game. :mrgreen:

A second short is already in the works which I may edit into this post depending on how quickly I get it done.

Update: Part 2 is now uploaded. About half the length of the first but I think I like this one more. The first scene is definitely worth a watch if you've never tried playing without using your gun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFI-R0ju6k

Tilas300

Post by Tilas300 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 am

So, this just happened, I walked into a room with those weird boxy, window looking things (but not actually windows), and there was a turret. So I took cover behind a box thing, and spotted another 2 turrets in another hallway. So I took out the first one, and emptied a couple of clips trying to get the other one, just peeking around the wall. I eventually gave up on it and moved on to the one in the same one as me and did the same thing: emptied some clips on it 'till I had no more ammo. So I just ran in front of it, expecting it to open fire, but it had no freakin' bullets (IDK why)! :?:

I proceded out the door, outside, and got killed by 2 drones. :cry: