Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Chainsaw man

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 am

Coincidence wrote:Chainsawman wants chainsaws...

Coincidence?

I think not.
It is also a Coincidece that Nicolas Cage Wants Cake? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJddmfesaA

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:41 am

Am I being weird if I say that I want the flashlight to be dimmed or removed completely?
The utterly dark atmosphere was one of the bits that made Receiver all so fun for me. When the flashlight comes along... suddenly the walls are so bright it's not fun anymore :c

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:56 am

Glabbit wrote:Am I being weird if I say that I want the flashlight to be dimmed or removed completely?
The utterly dark atmosphere was one of the bits that made Receiver all so fun for me. When the flashlight comes along... suddenly the walls are so bright it's not fun anymore :c
I will admit the flashlight can be VERY overwhelming when in certain environments, but with that said, just press 1 and put it away? Some areas are pitch black almost and really need it, makes it more immersive and badass walking around dark corners with your flashlight pressed against your gun.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 am

But it's their being pitch black that made it atmospheric and badass in the first place. Having the flashlight at all kind of breaks that mechanic because all of a sudden there's no reason any corner should be hard to see anymore. It effectively evaporates the challenge and feeling of 'Oh yay I'm successfully navigating this pitch-black area, I must be pretty good at this', or anything along those lines.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:04 am

Glabbit, I would have to disagree that the flashlight breaks the atmosphere of receiver. I found it more frustrating than immersive to attempt to navigate the pitch black rooms without a flashlight. It doesn't add any more tension or sense of danger, basically because I would know if the killdrones were around regardless of how light it was because they whir endlessly and cast blue light all over the walls.

I find it to be a little bit like how the light and dark mechanics in Amnesia: The Dark Descent affected the player. In Amnesia I would use the lantern in dark places even if Daniel's sanity was high, because I found myself fearing the dark often more than Daniel did due to the consistent atmosphere. But if Amnesia didn't have a lantern and I had to navigate Daniel through the darkness unaided then I would eventually get used to it.

The same goes for Receiver. When I navigated in the dark and it was difficult to see in the old builds, I simply got used to it and after I had memorized all the rooms I got around fine. But the flashlight has softened me up a little and now when I'm navigating the darker rooms unaided I actually do feel tense and often at times find myself wishing for the flashlight.

Perhaps in the next build we can have multiple game modes. Say a "dark mode" where there are no flashlights, for people who think that the flashlight breaks the atmosphere. And another mode for people who think it adds to it.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 am

And I would like the ability to lean.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 am

Coincidence wrote:And I would like the ability to lean.
Well... I never considered that! Hahaha! That's going on the list :lol:

Also Amnesia was such a pants-shitting experience... My name is Daniel too, so it was creepy as sin when they spoke to me personally... :o

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi, Daniel.

You wouldn't also happen to have the world's worst case of nychtophobia would you? Because that would be hilarious.

And would it freak you out if I told you that my name is Alexander?

My name isn't Alexander, but would it freak you out if it was?

Dinjoralo

Post by Dinjoralo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 pm

I had a neat idea after playing some Spy in Team Fortress 2. What if you could find Speedloaders for the Model 10 Revolver around the maps? You could load one with 6 bullets when you're alone, and use it to reload more quickly when you're in a tight spot.

user5124

Post by user5124 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:26 am

How about the ability to run the game at framerates higher than 60?

Shadow207B2

Post by Shadow207B2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:40 am

Pokieboy wrote:
Coincidence wrote:You have obviously no idea how teeth-grinding it is to empty a room of tazer-bots and killdrones only to find that there was absolutely no ammunition or tapes waiting for you on the other side.
Oh man, just this afternoon I know exactly how that felt. 8 Turrets spread over two bedroom type maps, took me so long to methodically kill them all.... No tapes... No bullets... :evil:
Whats worse is that i spawned in a blank room, with a M1911, so i check the mag, 0 bullets, no other mags, i have NO loose bullets.
So i start to look for ammo, and in the next room there is 2 turrets waiting for me...
It was quite annoying...

Aleph

Post by Aleph » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:00 am

Additions I would like:
-Leaning
-Prone
-New weapon: FP-45 Liberator
-Silencers
-Gun-range mode.
-Better game performance.

I also think that the Wolfire team should try to turn Receiver into a much more ambitious game: larger maps, much more weapons, more enemies, more backstory, etc. This change would obviously be reflected on the price.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:44 am

I am now going to engage in brainstorming:
-More rooms.
-Taller rooms
-Swing-able Doors; on rare occasions, but could be used as a blockade for those damn tazerbots.
-Trapdoors in the floors and ceilings that the player use to go up or down a floor; or if they aren't paying attention to fall through to their death.
-Moveable decor. e.g. Can pick up and tip over a table to use as cover.
-The killdrones collapse when shot in joints.
-Dynamic flickering or moving environmental lights.
-Those cool looking killdrones with wheels. Perhaps after they see you they can drive to your location.
-A tactical light that can be attached to the gun barrel and switched on and off.
-Dynamic objects that the player can simply pick up and put in their inventory. Not necessarily useful, maybe just a coin, a picture, a die, a pin or maybe a figurine of the whaleman. Some kind of token that the player can take with them if they want.
-More kinds of decor.
-A different city backdrop.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:57 am

I like all your ideas except for the community one about the rifle.
Leaning would be very handy. I just wonder, how would you disarm a turret with it constantly spinning?

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 am

zzwerty wrote:I just wonder, how would you disarm a turret with it constantly spinning?
You kick it over first.