Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Aleph

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Aleph » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 pm

orlok wrote:Hello there

if we're thinking of going down the mini carbine route, don't forget the "broomhandle" mauser, with it's woodenstock/holster.

If it's good enough for Han Solo or Prussian Cavalry then it's good enough for me.

Google it!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mause ... 24&bih=509

Also try here, some lovely close up pics.

http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/c96_9mm.htm

rgds

LoK
That blog on the last link you posted has very nice photos of a variety of guns. Nice find!

tbf2992

Post by tbf2992 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

I would kill for a shotgun. Either a break open or a pump action, I think it'd really give you an edge when it comes to taser bots. They are kinda hard to hit in the first place and a 12 gauge with a 2 foot spread would level the playing field. I read somewhere the suggestion for a Moisin-Nagant bolt action rifle and I have to say bad idea. They saw action in WW 1 and where hated by every soldier who had the misfortune of being issued one. Not that this game is particularly realistic but we should at least pick a weapon that is high quality and not a POS MN rifle. I'd vote for Mauser if Wolfire goes bolt action but I'd dearly love to get my digital hands on an AR-15. Great rifle with a solid reputation and high accuracy. As for handguns I love the SW revolver but have an inclination for a .44 Magnum, Dirty Harry's weapon of choice. Well that's my two cents and sorry for carrying on. Still, .44 Magnum People!(Do you feel lucky?)

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 pm

tbf2992 wrote:I would kill for a shotgun. Either a break open or a pump action, I think it'd really give you an edge when it comes to taser bots. They are kinda hard to hit in the first place and a 12 gauge with a 2 foot spread would level the playing field.
Shotguns are a neat idea but like I've said earlier in this thread, choosing a damage model for a shotgun is always an awkward debate in most shooters. :|

How do you want the damage calculated? What is the effective range of the pellets/slug? :)
tbf2992 wrote:I read somewhere the suggestion for a Moisin-Nagant bolt action rifle and I have to say bad idea. They saw action in WW 1 and where hated by every soldier who had the misfortune of being issued one. Not that this game is particularly realistic but we should at least pick a weapon that is high quality and not a POS MN rifle.
I have heard the gun is not great, but from a game's perspective, it's the mechanics and feel I'm interested in. Face it, if you're going into action with a bolt action, you know you've got your work cut out for you. As long as the bolt is actuated manually by key presses, then I'm a happy camper! :lol: And considering that the game uses cassettes, it'd seem more fitting to have an older bolt action rifle than one of the newer, more used ones today. :)

I'm open to suggestions, it's just I feel an 'in-game' scoped Mosin Nagant would fit nicely if it gave the player some ranged advantage. :wink:
Shadow207B2 wrote:
baldwinkids6 wrote:How bout this?
This actually makes much more sense than a mosin nagant...
As I said earlier, that is a very nice looking gun, and I'd love to see more unique handguns like that implemented, what I don't see though is why it'd replace a Mosin Nagant :? The reason I want that implemented is because it can be scoped for range and is awful up close. So it wouldn't be your primary weapon unless you wanted to really challenge yourself. 8)

I'm starting to get confused as how to deal with all these pistol suggestions. If I keep adding them to the front page, it'll take a lot of scrolling to read it all... How do you think I should add these? I was thinking adding a list of pistols that the community has mentioned with a very brief outline of their mechanics.

YourMessageHere

Post by YourMessageHere » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Hello all. Have to say, this game has impressed me enormously, I've been playing it all day. Really, really good mix of many of the things I like best in games: guns, realism, proceedural generation, minimalist design. Being this happy, naturally, my suggestion gland is working overtime...

General stuff:

- Hands. Please. Floatyguns make some sense in the 7 day FPS context, but now there's some more time I'd really like hands.
- Feet as well, and the rest of the body; games like FEAR really enhance your immersion by showing you your feet and body. Less important than the hands but if multiplayer is coming, it would make sense to do this at the same time.
- Is it just me who finds Unity really, really demanding on my PC? Phenom X2 (3.1GHz x2 cores), GeForce 260, 3Gb ram, XP SP3 here. It runs like a fan heater whenever I play anything on Unity.
-I'd really like it if trying to sprint while aiming auto-lowered the gun. Seems an unnecessary restriction.
- any chance of slightly lower stairwell walls, or a slightly higher jump? Getting off the stairs onto the bridge on those rooms with the two sets of double stairs is aggravating.
- in fact, how about: hold jump to mantle (i.e. climb up onto) any wall lower than eye level?
- Slightly louder turret sounds/wider audibility radius are badly needed. I can hear flying drone sounds from a room away, but so many times I get killed by a turret because I was looking for the flying drone and couldn't hear the turret. Or brighter lights on them or something; I just think they're too easy to run into, not carelessly but precisely because you're being careful. Bit of a controversial idea, perhaps.

Guns:

- after several hours of play, I've not found any spare magazines. Given sometimes I spawn with three spares and sometimes with none, it's a bit odd not to be able to find any more.
- ditto with other guns. I really want this to be an option, but I can see why this might be an issue, since they all take different ammo. Which leads me to:
- Suggestion: Rather than a S&W Model 10, how about a Model 1917? That's chambered for .45 ACP, same as the 1911. Similarly, why not a Glock 21, also chambered in .45 ACP? That would have a 13 round magazine rather than the 17 round mag of the Glock 17, but given how little one shoots fast in the game, this scarcely matters much. That means the same round would fit all three guns.
- Alternatively, make the 1911 a 9mm Para version (such things exist, in fact more often than not 1911s in films are 9mm because the blanks are easier to get) and replace the Model 10 with a Model 940, which is 9mm Para too.
- Loving the bolt-action idea; don't need a scope though, there's no distance far enough to need one. For the Moisin-Nagant haters: this game seems to be focusing on common guns, so a MN isn't exactly out of place. There's plenty of MN hobbyists out there, particularly in the US, and the ones in use nowadays can't really be that bad to have survived this long, eh? A Remington 700 or something more modern might be just as good, though. The important thing is the bolt action.
- I could get behind the shotgun on the same basis, though my vote's for a break action of some sort.
- at the same time, going with the theme of common US civilian firearms, some sort of semi-auto AR15? Box magazines and autoloading, so not the same as the bolt action, but still with the higher-power but rare ammo.
- Like the idea of grenades. Not fond of the EMP ammo though; why go into sci-fi when we have all this realistic tech? It also overcomplicates reloading.
- My ideal implementation of all this: you start with one handgun at random. Other guns and spare magazines have an equal likelihood of spawning as any given tape, meaning those interesting situations arise where you have loads of magazines for one gun but not the gun itself...maybe it's in the next room, past those turrets... the rifle rounds and/or shotshells should spawn 1/3 as commonly as pistol rounds. A third tab on the launcher apart from GFX and controls has tickboxes for what can spawn: 1911, Model 10, Glock, shotgun, rifle, grenades. Another tickbox for common ammo or different ammo for all pistols.

Things that are wrong and need fixing:

- can't rebind mouse buttons.
- can't bind Mouse3, Mouse4 or Mouse5 at all.
- Why do you start with your gun in your hand but lowered? Why not holstered, so you know what you have?
- you shouldn't be able to move a 1911 slide with the safety on. The switch itself locks up into the slide. This might affect the debate about the 1911 safety-on posture elsewhere here...
- It ought to be possible to pull the trigger on the Model 10 while the cylinder is swung out, to drop the hammer without firing or emptying the gun. Largely pointless in gameplay terms, but if we're trying to replicate real gun mechanics, the difference between single action and double action trigger pulls on a revolver ought to be replicated, and thus being able to decock is desirable. I suggest a slight delay (1/4 sec ish) on the double action pull, as it's heavier - also acts as a slight safety buffer against shock-induced firing, as in real life. That gives cocking the hammer an actual functional gameplay purpose.
- the Glock seems to have a permanently attached magazine. The flat rectangle at the bottom of the grip is the back of the floorplate of the magazine. You can tell if a Glock has a magazine in or not by looking - so you should be able to in the game.
- the Model 10 always spawns with random chambers empty. That's just silly; why would anyone do that? So is spawning with each magazine filled a random amount. A couple of times I started with only one bullet in total. It doesn't even make sense within the fiction. I suggest:
1) all guns and magazines start completely empty, plus a random number of loose rounds equal to or greater than a full magazine, or
2) all guns are full but the chamber is empty (self-loaders only, of course), plus you may or may not have extra magazines that are empty and/or loose rounds.

Phew. Enjoy.

Beef Pop

Post by Beef Pop » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Maybe it is too soon to think about this, but I would love to see the rest of the population's reaction to pre-mindkill receivers. Would they be frightened of receivers, or treat them like they were crazy?

During the mindkill, when the dreaming is occurring, would people beg for your help? Would they be scared of you or try to kill you?

After the mindkill, would the Threat begin dreaming up more and better drones to try and put a stop to your enlightenment?

As far as gameplay mechanics, I am pretty happy with the current state of things-- I just want a bigger story.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I have no idea who YourMessageHere is, but he makes some pretty good points. Except I don't think that the randomization of the bullets in the magazines at the start of the game is a bad thing. Now that I've learned that the "r" key removes bullets from the magazines it's easy to prepare before an adventure.

New suggestion: Multiple Game Types

Classic Mode: RC1 style Receiver with 1911 only, no torch, no new features.
Pet Bunny Mode: Bullets and Tapes spawn more frequently and killdrones are slow and sluggish.
Normal Mode: All features intact.
Challenging Mode: Bullets and tapes spawn less frequently. Killdrones spawn more frequently.
Impossible Mode: No guns, bullets, torches or equipment of any kind. Killdrones spawn at high frequency and aim and shoot faster. Good luck finding those tapes.
Score Attack: Get points by disabling killdrones. More points if you disable them while they can see you, destroy them with a single shot, or destroy them in rapid succession to each other. Collect tapes to increase your multiplier.
Russian Roulette: Load a certain numbers of bullets into the Model 10, spin the cylinder, hold the gun to your head and pull the trigger. You earn a certain number of points (if you don't die) for the number of bullets in the chamber. Continue to spin and pull. Score is recorded and resets after death.
Dark Mode: You get a single torch at the beginning of the game along with your gun and no other environmental lights. Find your way around in the darkness.
Time Attack: You have one minute. Add precious seconds to your counter by destroying killdrones. Make the timer pause for a given amount of time by collecting tapes.
Complete Indoctrination: There is one tape in every room. Collect as many as you can. Don't stop at eleven. Collect hundreds of the damn things!
Do I feel lucky?: Model 10 only. Chamber shifts every second. Player cannot spin the cylinder.
Overkill: Glock only. Full-auto modification is constantly on. Squeeze that trigger lightly, my friends.
Make it count: Model 10 only. You can only have one bullet in the chamber at a time.
The Journey is the Destination: You are pointed in a specific direction. Get to the finish point twenty rooms away as fast as you can. Prepare for back-tracking if necessary.
Dwarf Mode: You are short. And your gun appears to have shrunk. Play Receiver as a midget.
Wolfire Mode: You are beset upon by a horde of anthropomorphic ninja rabbits with throwing daggers. Your only hope is to shoot them all.
Last edited by Coincidence on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleph

Post by Aleph » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 pm

New idea: rename this game to "Receivergrowth", you play as Turner, a member of the reciever cult, who has to use guns to shoot other rabbits in the face and defeat the evil Mindkill.

SPITFIRE118xxx

Post by SPITFIRE118xxx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Hmmm... That'd take away the 1 shot, 1 chance feel about Receiver. Maybe in an Easy mode?[/quote]

I would say maybe make it a 2 shot?

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 am

I look away for 1 day and this happens to my thread :lol:

Wow that took a while to read... There is no way in hell I'm typing all those. I'm happy to just leave the main page as in for now and just keep an eye on the discussion in the thread. We've had some good ideas, and I really want those implemented. So for the sake of not scaring off the devs, I'm going to stop expanding it unless someone blows my mind 8)

xilox

Post by xilox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 pm

i got my grain of sand to share :^D

after playing hours of receiver (yes, hours) the torchlight was starting to burn my eyes cuz that little shit light as much as a fart with a fire on top....
so, with the batterys "planned" for the game, why dont you add 1 more torchligh, a BIG one, it could waste more energy than the regular torchlight but it could give much more light, maybe not a torchlight to do the weapon aiming but you could cilp it to your clothes or something :^P

my basic "complain/possible addition" would be that, MOAR LIGHT!!! xD

another cool thing would be a mounted laser, almost giveing no light but an ambient red and a nice little red dot where the bullets are going to

asside from that i would +1 the WW 1 or 2 rifles, shotguns to my eyes would be too much for the game right now but with a couple updates who knows :)

and this couple of things are what i think would do neat implementation for the next update:
-> full input configuration (mouse3, mouse4, etc), with a nice little button "Default Keys"
-> fix the inventory, i have a 4:3 monitor and the 8-9-0 slots are not visible for me, auto-hide to the bottom would be a nice option (avoiding the gun from clipping in the magazines on the inventory :^P). and the NumPad would do a great secondary option for the inventory slots
-> torchlight handling, a simple on/off for a start and when you add the batteries (if you will¿?) it would be nice to have a combo to change them just like the gun reloading system
-> some kind of tool (screwdriver, etc) to do some scavenging on the robots, and why not, break through some locked doors or "chests", or even use it as a melee

and my crazyest idea would be to make the game a crazy world, not just a post apocaliptic robo-invasion, since the game is so dark and creepy by default you could change the robots for zombies for example (like in I Am Legend where they just stand still in the dark waiting for you to come by) or some different enemy like aliens, bunnies, whalemans, you name it :P
this would make the game really big if you ask me, since the FPS world is more infested with action i think this would be great for attracting people to it

and the last one, yeah really x^P, since the game takes so much from the PC it would be nice to have textures for other than the enemies and the guns... a way to make this really fun would be to make it like Minecraft where you can change the textures of the world with simple mods from the community :^)

Cheers 4 an awesome game :mrgreen:
PS: excuse my english :^P

Beef Pop

Post by Beef Pop » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Pet Bunny Mode: Bullets and Tapes spawn more frequently and killdrones are slow and sluggish.
Impossible Mode: No guns, bullets, torches or equipment of any kind. Killdrones spawn at high frequency and aim and shoot faster. Good luck finding those tapes.
Time Attack: You have one minute. Add precious seconds to your counter by destroying killdrones. Make the timer pause for a given amount of time by collecting tapes.
The Journey is the Destination: You are pointed in a specific direction. Get to the finish point twenty rooms away as fast as you can. Prepare for back-tracking if necessary.
I like these ideas-- and perhaps they wouldn't be too difficult to implement as they don't require any new art assets.

alf666

Post by alf666 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm

These are a couple of simple suggestions, but they are important to me.
  • The ability to damage enemies from another room. I cannot count the number of times I have tried to shoot those Goddamed Bats, er, Demonic Spiders, I mean, Flying-Taser-Drones-From-Hell from another room over, only to realize that I'm not doing organic solid waste matter to them. Then they notice they are getting shot at, and proceed to sodomize me with their taser, which brings me to my next point. (Also, it gives the Mosin-Nagat rifle, if added, a lot more viability.)
  • Fix the pathfinding on the Flying-Taser-Drones-From-Hell. Seriously, use the cheat code for invincibility
    [+] here
    iddqd
    and the cheat for full ammo
    [+] here
    idkfa
    and count the number of times you get shocked before even seeing the damn thing, let alone have enough time to aim at it before having your aim sent to hell in a handbasket. I know this won't matter if you are playing without cheats, but the fact the FTDFHs seem to fly just over your head, stop, turn on a dime, and then sodomize you with a Taser before you can turn around just seems wrong.
  • Fix the angle of attack (the angle the drones use to fly towards you) on the FTDFHs. I always wind up using at least two shots from my gun to kill them, one to get them to wobble for about 0.5 seconds, and one more while praying I hit their propeller. Either that, or give us more ways to disable them, or maybe make their battery pack the game says they have more obvious.
  • Fix the number of times you spawn with the revolver. I hate that gun so much, for reasons outlined below. I literally spawned with it six (or was it seven?) times in a row before getting another gun.
  • If the game is going to be a dick, and spawn me with the revolver, at least make it so it doesn't spawn seven or eight FTDFHs in the next room, in a huge blob of electrified sodomizing death, with half of them pointing their cameras at the doorway at any given time. Seriously, two shots per kill, with a six-shot revolver versus eight FTDFHs. Do the math. Odds of survival: Absolutely F***ed
  • Fix the number of times you have to try to eject spent rounds from a revolver, or decrease the odds of them getting jammed. If I am frantically trying to shoot down an FTDFH or five, the last thing I need is three rounds getting stuck when I try to eject the spent shells, and wind up having to try to eject the shells two more times before one comes loose. Before you ask, yes I am waiting for the ejector pull animation to complete, but if I am running from one or several FTDFHs, I'm probably panicking, and don't have time to wait for the shells to decide to maybe GTFO of my gun. Also, the shells that do eject seem to do so towards the middle of the animation, so waiting until the end seems pointless.
These are my major gripes for what appears to be a good game with great player mechanics.

orlok

Post by orlok » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Hello there

A quick FYI, getting hold of assets isn't really an issue, there's a few of us modellers hanging around and the game used an FBX format for their 3d stuff which is a common format for many software suites.

Programming them in though, that's another matter :)

rgds

LoK

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Coincidence wrote:I have no idea who YourMessageHere is, but he makes some pretty good points. Except I don't think that the randomization of the bullets in the magazines at the start of the game is a bad thing. Now that I've learned that the "r" key removes bullets from the magazines it's easy to prepare before an adventure.

Challenging Mode: Bullets and tapes spawn less frequently. Killdrones spawn more frequently.
Score Attack: Get points by disabling killdrones. More points if you disable them while they can see you, destroy them with a single shot, or destroy them in rapid succession to each other. Collect tapes to increase your multiplier.
Russian Roulette: Load a certain numbers of bullets into the Model 10, spin the cylinder, hold the gun to your head and pull the trigger. You earn a certain number of points (if you don't die) for the number of bullets in the chamber. Continue to spin and pull. Score is recorded and resets after death.
Dark Mode: You get a single torch at the beginning of the game along with your gun and no other environmental lights. Find your way around in the darkness.
Complete Indoctrination: There is one tape in every room. Collect as many as you can. Don't stop at eleven. Collect hundreds of the damn things!
Do I feel lucky?: Model 10 only. Chamber shifts every second. Player cannot spin the cylinder.
Overkill: Glock only. Full-auto modification is constantly on. Squeeze that trigger lightly, my friends.
Make it count: Model 10 only. You can only have one bullet in the chamber at a time.
Dwarf Mode: You are short. And your gun appears to have shrunk. Play Receiver as a midget.
Wolfire Mode: You are beset upon by a horde of anthropomorphic ninja rabbits with throwing daggers. Your only hope is to shoot them all.
I AGREE
Would be cool, and most of them seem to be coded in changes, rather than asset heavy ones. Might make them a bit faster to implement.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Yo, alf666.

When you enter a room that is tall, keep looking up and down for the killdrones. Know your environment. You have the advantage of the attack. Stand in the doorway and when you hear a beep, back away into the previous room (assuming you disabled all the killdrones in that room). Study your surroundings carefully, my friend.

The gun spawning is randomized, so obviously spawning seven times in a row with the Model 10 is possible, even though it would suck. Think of it like rolling a snake-eyes. It sucks and is incredibly frustrating, but there's no need to alter the dice so that ones never come up.

If you see a room with eight FTDFHs in there, you probably should turn around and walk (or run) in the opposite direction. Running the gauntlet is actually a viable game mechanic. I'm not kidding. I was once chased through five rooms in a row by the world's most determined tazerbot and its little brother, all the while turning the turrets aggro and barely dodging multiple shots and I finally came to a halt in a safe and secluded area some way's away.

Yeah, I do agree with your last point. The casings yet jammed way too easily. The idea was supposed to be that the jamming is due to the casings expanding when fired, but even unfired casings seem to get jammed sometimes.

Have a nice day, my friend.