Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Coincidence

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by Coincidence » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:05 am

Actually having a sniper rifle would pose two very interesting questions:

1. Why on earth would a civilian be carrying a sniper-rifle?

2. Can we please extend the draw distance?

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:12 am

Coincidence wrote:The shotgun would alter the edges that the killdrones have on the player.
Hmm I see where you're coming from and I'm considering adding it, I'm just curious how the damage is implemented though, still haven't answered that :P

Are we talking slugs or pellets? 1 shot kill or X amount of pellets hit to kill?

And civilians in the dreaming can have rifles if they want :lol: Maybe I'm pushing that idea so much because I have a mild fetish for bolt action rifles in all games I play. Being able to manually shoot one in a game would make me furiously moist. :twisted:

Xtrit

Post by Xtrit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 am

I would like to see a FN handgun. A Five-seveN or newer.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Xtrit wrote:I would like to see a FN handgun. A Five-seveN or newer.
And what makes this firearm dynamic? :)

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Pokieboy wrote:I'm just curious how the damage is implemented though, still haven't answered that :P

Are we talking slugs or pellets? 1 shot kill or X amount of pellets hit to kill?
How about for every pellet that hits the body of a killdrone there is a small chance, for example one in ten (arbitrary probability), of that pellet disabling the drone. That way hitting the drone with most of the spread is advisable and the gun is balanced for distance.

orlok

Post by orlok » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 am

hello there

A better idea weaponwise is to have simple user installable "packs".

So, If one player likes bolt action rifles, then great! He install's the BR pack with the mosin/kar/enfield/etc

The next player only likes Handguns, so he installs the HG pack. voilà! He's happy.

Now, player three is a nutter and likes anything that goes bang. He adds the BR pack the HG pack as well as the Assault Rifle and HMG Packs. One happy camper.

Thoughts?

Rgds

LoK

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 am

Coincidence wrote:How about for every pellet that hits the body of a killdrone there is a small chance, for example one in ten (arbitrary probability), of that pellet disabling the drone. That way hitting the drone with most of the spread is advisable and the gun is balanced for distance.
So if you consider the math, if there is a 'chance' of it disabling, there is also a chance for it not to affect it at all? By that logic, if you point blanked every pellet into a drone, there is a 'chance' that it'd not take it down, even if that chance is very unlikely? Just knowing that would frustrate the hell out of me sorry... :x Possibly rethink a damage model? Shotguns are a very touchy subject in games and they are often the centre of major balance issues. :(
orlok wrote:A better idea weaponwise is to have simple user installable "packs".
Firstly I'd like to say welcome to the forum! And secondly, I do actually like the sound of this! Though do you mind if I put my own personal spin on it also and see what you think? 8) Using your idea, rather than have ALL these awesome new ideas implemented at once, I think that the start of the game should allow you to choose a number of parameters and loadouts to complement or test you.

What I had in mind was:
  • - Select a sidearm from a dropdown list [Glock, M1911, Magnum, Liberator etc.]
    - Select a secondary gun from a dropdown list ['None', Mosin Nagant, Shotgun etc.]
    - Select bonuses from tickable boxes [Torch, EMP Rounds, (Standand/EMP) Grenades etc.]
    - And select a difficulty setting from a dropdown list [Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane?]
The difficulty setting could possibly add an increase or decrease in parameters. Example, Easy mode might make the turrets spin slower and the drones fly slower. And Hard can obviously do the opposite and speed them up?

Let me know what you guys think, but I do like this 'pack/selection' method! :D

orlok

Post by orlok » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 am

Pokieboy wrote: Firstly I'd like to say welcome to the forum!
Thank You!

I think your ideas are splendid.

One thing I have always advocated in game deign is user choice. If the game is as open as possible it opens up entirely new and different markets and makes the replayability value sky rocket.

My main reasoning for the "Pack" way was to make it easier to add weapons in the future as individual/group releases rather than having to include them in a full build of the game.and also open the game up for user made weapons.

For example some folk may favour a certain manga/comic and my want a firearm from that. Whilst out of scope of the Dev's progress, the wider community has the skills to model/code and texture as long as there's a pipeline we can plug into.

Anyhoo, I do like the sound of selecting loadouts (a choice for random is also needed). I also like the sound of a settable dificulty.

Interesting stuff!

rgds

LoK

Shadow207B2

Post by Shadow207B2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 am

I think choosing a Primary (Or secondary in your case) is a bit out of hand, i think the Rifles and Shotguns would be rare, and you would need to pick them up.
Choosing to spawn with everything you like, takes fun out of it, because you never know what you will spawn with next.
At least that is my opinion, its why i enjoy Receiver so much, its very challenging.

orlok

Post by orlok » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello there

Another addition I'd like to see is to be able to field strip the weapon, I miss being able to do it with my long lost 1911.

But I cant think of a viable reason to implement it, unless you find parts (slide, mainspring etc etc) to build up into the gun, like having to find batteries for the cassete recorder (ingame but not implemented).

rgds

LoK

FlyingShisno

Post by FlyingShisno » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:33 pm

This has probably been mentioned, but how about single use items like a EMP grenade? Where when thrown, it will disable everything in the "set/chunk/room" it detonated in. You could start out with one, and none could be found. It would be pretty stupid to use it in an area that only has one turret, and since it can't be found, it'll encourage people not to waste it. It could be helpful in areas with six drones, or areas where you just can't get past with your current equipment.

Btw, what are the 'official' names for the enemies? I call them Turrets and Drones.

Shadow207B2

Post by Shadow207B2 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:28 pm

FlyingShisno wrote:This has probably been mentioned, but how about single use items like a EMP grenade? Where when thrown, it will disable everything in the "set/chunk/room" it detonated in. You could start out with one, and none could be found. It would be pretty stupid to use it in an area that only has one turret, and since it can't be found, it'll encourage people not to waste it. It could be helpful in areas with six drones, or areas where you just can't get past with your current equipment.

Btw, what are the 'official' names for the enemies? I call them Turrets and Drones.
EMP grenades are already featured on the OP.
I just call em turrets and Taserbots

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Pokieboy wrote:So if you consider the math, if there is a 'chance' of it disabling, there is also a chance for it not to affect it at all? By that logic, if you point blanked every pellet into a drone, there is a 'chance' that it'd not take it down, even if that chance is very unlikely? Just knowing that would frustrate the hell out of me sorry... :x Possibly rethink a damage model? Shotguns are a very touchy subject in games and they are often the centre of major balance issues. :(
I'm not certain the shotgun would work perfectly that way as I'd have to test it first. And it is an idea in progress. Perhaps if we tried the probability model and simply tweaked the probably until we hit the sweet-spot somewhere in there. If there are at least a dozen pellets in every shot then we may be able to get away with perhaps a one in four or even a one in five chance, perhaps?

Can anyone help? I need a way of calculating hits from a shotgun that is balanced for distance: it disallows failed hits at point-blank and also disallows ultra-precise shots from a long-range.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 am

Shadow207B2 wrote:I think choosing a Primary (Or secondary in your case) is a bit out of hand, i think the Rifles and Shotguns would be rare, and you would need to pick them up.
Choosing to spawn with everything you like, takes fun out of it, because you never know what you will spawn with next.
At least that is my opinion, its why i enjoy Receiver so much, its very challenging.
Well I guess that could be ramified by adding a 'random' button? :lol: So maybe have 'Random' in the secondary drop down list. That way you could have none or one of the guns in the map.

And I looked at some Mosin Nagant designs... they have A LOT of parts. :roll:
orlok wrote:My main reasoning for the "Pack" way was to make it easier to add weapons in the future as individual/group releases rather than having to include them in a full build of the game.and also open the game up for user made weapons.

For example some folk may favour a certain manga/comic and my want a firearm from that. Whilst out of scope of the Dev's progress, the wider community has the skills to model/code and texture as long as there's a pipeline we can plug into.
Mmm, community based modding is always a pain to deal with, it'd be nice if they implemented a 'Mods' folder than could simply be dragged and dropped and then they'd appear in the lists. Or maybe a mod manager like they have for Skyrim, that is a very effective system for managing mods without over-cluttering your files.

I'll give this 'pack/selection' idea more thought before I write it up. :)

Potosin

Post by Potosin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

I don't know if anyone has though of this idea or mentioned it before but have hidden keys to locked chests (small chests or locked tool boxes) which contain a tape and some ammunition inside it. The chests should contain good physics along with the key mechanic also have the chest it shut if not opened all the way. If anyone feels like this would be cool or add some ideas to it that would be awesome. I'm hoping to see some more organised scatter of ammo not just bullets laying around with tapes. This might increase the difficulty of the game, but the small sacrifice of difficulty is worth it.