Basic Receiver mod/updates

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
tdg

Basic Receiver mod/updates

Post by tdg » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 pm

I spent a some time over the last two evenings updating the game a little. Basically, I grabbed the low-hanging fruit I could see.
If you have other suggestions for low-hanging fruit, or minor bug fixes; let me know and I might try to tackle them.

I haven't bothered to check if these changes have already been made elsewhere. I just wanted to fix it for my own enjoyment.

Here are the changes I've made:
  1. Added mags to item spawns - about 1.5x as rare as flashlight spawns
  2. Player can only carry one flashlight at a time - prevent picking up unwanted flashlights
  3. Player can drop flashlight
  4. Fixed some odd layout issues in the map:
    • Upstairs bathroom furniture floating above ground
When a mag spawns, no bullets will appear in that pile (cassettes and flashlights can still spawn there).
This helps retain the ammo management aspects of the game. Full mags can spawn, which is more ammo than a normal bullet pile. That being said, mags can also spawn empty...

I didn't like picking up extra flashlights, because they couldn't be dropped (originally).
Now that you can drop a flashlight, I'm not sure if I should revert the single flashlight inventory change.
What do you think?

Screens:
Can drop flashlight when weapon is holstered
Can drop flashlight when weapon is holstered
RIGHT: Bath, sink floating in air; LEFT: Bath, sink, etc not hanging in the air.
RIGHT: Bath, sink floating in air; LEFT: Bath, sink, etc not hanging in the air.
How should I make this available? Should I send a pull request on GitHub?
Here are the updates on github: https://github.com/ztdgz/7DFPS

Beef Pop

Re: Basic Receiver mod/updates

Post by Beef Pop » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:51 am

I love this! It looks great, I hope this is included in the next update!

I like having a backup flashlight, just in case the batteries in the first one die unexpectedly, but being able to drop lights would be great!

I hope David and Aubrey will see/use this.

minecraft805

Post by minecraft805 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Maybe you should work on a fix for the framerate :) I have a high performance computer but it lags very badly when I enter a room with a lot of lights. :idea:

Davidos

Post by Davidos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:20 am

Bump

I editted this to have a rather slim chance (5%) to spawn a mag, but I can't fix the flashlights to stick on the floor instead of go through the ground. Then again, they're sodding useless anyway.

Any chance we can get random weapon spawns? The script is such haywire I can't even figure out how to spawn a different weapon than the one you already spawn with, and then there's the entire thing of being able to pick it up or not...

tdg

Post by tdg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:43 am

Davidos wrote: Any chance we can get random weapon spawns?
The weapons aren't really set up like that (IIRC). It's doable, but would require some more work.
I could look into it, but I'm rather busy on a couple other projects at this stage.

If I start looking at it now, I'll be distracted too much to get the other stuff done (and one of those projects is a tangent already! lol). It would be weeks or months before I could look into it.

Or, perhaps someone else has already tackled this?

Davidos

Post by Davidos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm

I've been lobbying several forums that have topics about this game, contacted the best modders I could find, whom either all made their own weaponry or similair, and all say they booted the codes from scratch because frankly the base code is a pile of stinking, hinged unreadable garbage with zero optimisation for both the game itself or the reader's pleasure.

So I guess that's a no to that last question.

The only way to do that would be to make a new instance of the entire weapon code.

tdg

Post by tdg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Davidos wrote: So I guess that's a no to that last question.

The only way to do that would be to make a new instance of the entire weapon code.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. I really can't say without taking another look at the source code.
I don't think it's necessary for an entire rewrite. I may be wrong, though; having not viewed the code since I last pushed it to GitHub.

tdg

Post by tdg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 am

I've had a look.

It's totally doable. Just needs a little bit of additional code.

I implemented it really roughly this morning. I didn't make it respect ammo types, so you could put SW victory ammo in a 1911 mag. But that's just one more little bit of code to add. There may be some other issues I haven't come across, though.

I won't push this to github until I add the conditional checks to the ammo types. I also only set it to spawn 1911s, not the other guns yet. That wouldn't be hard to add.

Like I said, there may be other issues I haven't detected. But it seems pretty straight forward.

I am very busy though, so don't expect an update before next year. lol ;-)
Attachments
1911 in hand with mag, sw victory in inventory
1911 in hand with mag, sw victory in inventory
sw victory in hand, 1911 on ground with mag
sw victory in hand, 1911 on ground with mag

lolman35

Post by lolman35 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Now how do i use this Mod/update, i't has no .exe, no info on how to install or anything, please i need help..

BenKS

Post by BenKS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 am

Sorry if I'm necroing this or anything but I'm absolutely confused about this mod.

In the page the OP directs me to, all that there is to download is a 600mb zip file which extracts into a 1.2gb folder of a bunch of what I assume are assets used in Receiver.

What I don't understand is what in the world to do with all this...? Like, there's no exe, no instructions, a readme that literally tells me nothing. Does anyone have any idea what the OP intended for people to do with this? I feel like a retard, or like I'm missing something that I'm supposed to know for some reason.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:11 pm

He has included the source in his first post, so what you do is download that and build the project with Unity.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm

SteelRaven7 wrote:He has included the source in his first post, so what you do is download that and build the project with Unity.
And you do this by...?

tdg

Post by tdg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Sorry guys. You're right. It's not user friendly at all. :oops:
I'm super busy at the moment, and can't say when I'll have time to make this better for you.

I still have not pushed the code for the latest changes (I have some clean up to do from some failed attempts to optimize the chunk loading).

Once I get a stable, clean build I will see what I can do about creating a package that could be dropped into a directory or something.

I'm certainly interested in continuing to make these little tweaks as time permits.
The only problem is that time really isn't permissive right now. :(

If you really want to get the mod working, you should go and download the free Unity3D dev tools:
http://unity3d.com/
- I was using 3.x at the time of the last update.

You should be able to open the project and get it running. Please note: the source that is available probably has problems, but I don't remember.
- (It's possible the fix I did for the bathroom furniture will be rotated 90 degrees. You could fix that by looking at the imported assets sub-items (or whatever they are) and adjusting the rotation on the broken part. I believe I have fixed this in the current code on my PC, which I will check in as soon as it's cleaned up).

If you can't open the project, then I probably can't help you and waiting a month or two might be your best option. :wink:

I really wish I had more time; but I'm working a full time job, raising two children, and also working on a game in my spare time. :|

Cheers, and thanks for expressing interest in this mod.

-Mike

DeductiveFallacy

Post by DeductiveFallacy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:38 pm

I attempted to download the source and build, which seemed to work fine, but now all the entities (rails, window frames, sink, tub, etc.. ) in that one room that had the floating object seem to have been transported about 50 yards outside the window. Are there changes that currently are not on the github linked?

P.S. THANKS for all the hard work! I've been wanting to be able to find clips out in the wild for some time now.

tdg

Post by tdg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 pm

DeductiveFallacy wrote:I attempted to download the source and build, which seemed to work fine, but now all the entities (rails, window frames, sink, tub, etc.. ) in that one room that had the floating object seem to have been transported about 50 yards outside the window.
Yeah, I think that's got to be related to the "rotated 90 degrees" comment I made.
tdg wrote:(It's possible the fix I did for the bathroom furniture will be rotated 90 degrees. You could fix that by looking at the imported assets sub-items (or whatever they are) and adjusting the rotation on the broken part. I believe I have fixed this in the current code on my PC, which I will check in as soon as it's cleaned up)
I'll try and push an update to fix that ASAP. It's not a super difficult fix if you are familiar with the tools, but I understand most people probably aren't.

DeductiveFallacy wrote: Are there changes that currently are not on the github linked?
Yes, in fact there are several changes not yet checked in. I still haven't checked in weapon spawns (there is still work to do to make that fully functional - respecting ammo types, for one).
I won't be pushing those changes for a little while yet, since they aren't finished and I'm not spending time working on it this month.
DeductiveFallacy wrote:P.S. THANKS for all the hard work! I've been wanting to be able to find clips out in the wild for some time now.
Thanks. No problem. It's been fun working on it. :)