Receiver-alike "Relock" on Kickstarter

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Sordid Dreams

Re: Receiver-alike "Relock" on Kickstarter

Post by Sordid Dreams » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

zzwerty wrote:I like the idea of multiplayer, but does anyone else think this just looks a bit too much like Receiver? Even the name sounds similar. The graphics look nearly identical (Similar handgun, similar art style) to the point that people might actually mistake Relock for Receiver or vice versa (The logo also looks quite similar). Shouldn't more features other than just Multiplayer and extended gun customisation be added to differentiate it more? It does look like it will be a good, smooth FPS but the similarity worries me.
To be honest I don't like the name. Receiver is clever, because you're a person receiving a message but it's also a part of a gun. It's wordplay. But what the balls is a relock? Other than that, I don't see a problem. Yes, it's an obvious clone of Receiver. Just like Warcraft was an obvious clone of Dune 2, and a myriad other examples. Nothing wrong with that at all. As for the graphics style, it doesn't look similar at all. Receiver is very dark and oppressive, Relock is bright and airy. If anything, I'm getting MIrror's Edge vibes from it. I like the aesthetic of it a lot more than that of Receiver.

Too bad the KS campaign bombed, btw. I hope it gets made anyway, it's one of very few MP FPSs I might be interested in playing.

ech0

Post by ech0 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Relock takes it's name from a shooting stance called 'Center Axis Relock' it is used by various special forces and is quite unknown even in shooting circles could it also be referring to the classic 'Lock n Load' phrase? I Don't know.
A Reciever is a part of a weapon, upper & lower, again referring to weapon terminology.

If anything I think Relock pays homage to Receiver by using that similar naming convention even the developers have said it was a huge inspiration.

They are re-doing the Kickstarter campaign soon I think.

I'm excited for it :D

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm

ech0 wrote:Relock takes it's name from a shooting stance called 'Center Axis Relock'.
Yes, I found that out when I looked it up. But I still couldn't find any information on what a relock actually is. Only that it's located on the center axis.
They are re-doing the Kickstarter campaign soon I think.
Good! They need to promote the hell out of their game first, though. I'm still convinced the first one failed simply because nobody outside of this forum knows Relock exists.

Boolean

Post by Boolean » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Good! They need to promote the hell out of their game first, though. I'm still convinced the first one failed simply because nobody outside of this forum knows Relock exists.
Yeah we didn't tell anyone about the game while it was in development, that was a big mistake. We are re-kicking it on the 4th next month.

We have also been adding content daily to our IndieDB page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/relock

If people tell as many people as they can then the game shouldn't have a problem getting the funding it needs to make the jump from alpha to release. We are going to be asking for around the £10k mark this time as we have a few more people on board.

I hope that if the game gets enough attention then both Relock & Reciever will receieve much more attention and create an entirely new type of FPS. well... that's the hope!

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 pm

This reminds me of this source mod:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/milk-carton