Weapon Additions - Updated Feb. 15th 2014 (Discontinued)

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Thomason1005

Re: Weapon Additions - Updated Nov. 16th

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 am

Andrew1994 wrote:took a few hours to make :)
do u do dis with magic? I wanna buy sum magic

Andrew1994

Post by Andrew1994 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:21 am

hahahahaha :) thanks, that'll be for free thanks :P magic for all, actually its 5 years of using 3ds max.

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:34 am

Andrew1994 wrote:Its entirely possible, but the magazine etc... would need to be textured with an opacity (or alpha map) not sure but only on the parts that need to be transparent. and P90's have it as well.
Hmm... there's not really any other semi-opaque surfaces to compare it to, either. But- there is glass/invisible solid objects. At the very least, visibly framing the magazine should translate kinda well. Maybe if you added some thin as heck errant pollies in the magazine's plastic, it'd make it look scratched. Just spitballing, though, modelling was never my bag.
Andrew1994 wrote:I don't know if all the other mechanics work like if the bullets are animated to feed through the gun entirely
I think it should. The glock and colt push the rounds up/down on the mag's base while you load and unload them after all. I assume that inside the magwell, it's doing just that still.

Andrew1994

Post by Andrew1994 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 am

Cheers for the feedback, well to get things transparent like you suggest reguires a grey'ish colour on the part that you want transparent which is a part of the magazine and the texture that says "opacity" which mean black is visible texture and while is invisible, to get the effect of those magazines just needs a grey colour or dark grey, and yes the way I'm doing these models is so that you can see inside them to a certain extent, I don't go to detailed modelling springs it just takes up to much, but 2,000 to 4,000 polygons is enough for alot of weapons like that :P its not like crysis where it tries to render five hundred thousand polygons on screen at once :P I'm remaking the colt m16 wasn't happy with the other version, started it two hours ago and I'm a good way through it, it will be ready tomorrow :) cheers guys.
Attachments
render.jpg

Andrew1994

Post by Andrew1994 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 am

I said I would complete it tomorrow but meh, its done ;) feedback would be awesome, not sure if its of high enough quality but I'm sure it's an improvement on the old m16 model a page back on this forum.

Cheers,
Andrew,
Attachments
m16_improved.zip
(381.13 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

UNHchabo

Post by UNHchabo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:01 pm

APsychonaut wrote:I think it should. The glock and colt push the rounds up/down on the mag's base while you load and unload them after all. I assume that inside the magwell, it's doing just that still.
From my time looking at the code I'm pretty sure that's what it's doing.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Yeah, if you look at the spoiler above the rifle picture on the main post you'll see how it looks without the magazine mesh there, the last 2 bullets are in the same position so the first shot doesn't look like it takes a round though

Andrew1994

Post by Andrew1994 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 am

I created a H&K USP
Attachments
hk_usp.zip
(191.57 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 am

Andrew1994 wrote:I created a H&K USP
My inner CS player demands I ask if it's silenced.
The remainder of my mind is currently crash tackling that part and telling it to be quiet, because USPs rock either way, but it's still asking from under the pile of...neurons?

Andrew1994

Post by Andrew1994 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 am

yep done.
Attachments
hk_usp_silenced.zip
(82.5 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Andrew1994

Post by Andrew1994 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:34 am

Does anyone think there should be a separate menu to the main menu in receiver, say if there's so many guns it get's annoying to keep scrolling so why not like on button press "i" it opens up a seperate menu with all the guns? But it doesn't have to be implemented modding takes a while and programming etc.. but it's an idea :)

Cheers,
Andrew,

Mossarelli

Post by Mossarelli » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:23 pm

This whole thread.

Since you have access to the source on github, can't you work on the game and help Wolfire push some updates? Your weapons are almost done and can be included into the game at any time.

If Wolfire doesn't want the weapons menu in game, just make it available as a cheat code like: gunsgunsguns.

Josh707

Post by Josh707 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Yay, more models! Thanks haha. I haven't downloaded them yet but I'll grab them soon.
Andrew1994 wrote:Does anyone think there should be a separate menu to the main menu in receiver, say if there's so many guns it get's annoying to keep scrolling so why not like on button press "i" it opens up a seperate menu with all the guns? But it doesn't have to be implemented modding takes a while and programming etc.. but it's an idea :)
Yeah, it's already annoying for me, like it works but it isn't really in the best spot, you have to manually drag the scroll bar to be able to see the whole list at once. I'll think of some ideas, maybe just another menu like you said, it'd be pretty simple.
Mossarelli wrote:Since you have access to the source on github, can't you work on the game and help Wolfire push some updates? Your weapons are almost done and can be included into the game at any time.

If Wolfire doesn't want the weapons menu in game, just make it available as a cheat code like: gunsgunsguns.
Yeah, I could ask them about it but I don't know if they'd want some random guy to work on the game instead of them, David has said he would like to do more with Receiver but Overgrowth is the priority right now. I'd have to restart with just the TT-33 and Andrews models though, there would probably be legal problems if the models from RO2 were used. Looking at the to-do list on the github page it seems there's not much they had in mind at the time for any updates, just a few more handguns and minor tweaks/optimizations. I could probably implement a few things on that list, but I think my stuff is best left as a mod for now.

Crimson_1

Post by Crimson_1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm sorry but I was reading through this thread and I have no idea how to install the Remington and such (the ones on the first page), I downloaded the rar file but I have no idea what you guys mean by overwriting and stuff. I have Steam and disabled the automatic updating too.

UNHchabo

Post by UNHchabo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Josh707 wrote:Yeah, if you look at the spoiler above the rifle picture on the main post you'll see how it looks without the magazine mesh there, the last 2 bullets are in the same position so the first shot doesn't look like it takes a round though
Here's an interesting quirk I just realized in the way this is implemented: the position for each round in the mag gets incremented and decremented sequentially, even on double-stack mags. Meaning that on the Glock mags, inserting a fifth round in the mag causes the bottom round to move from the left side of the mag (marked '4') to the right (marked '5').

This gets interesting with the rifles, because one method of doing a press check is to take a mag, see which side the top round is on, insert the mag and chamber a round, then remove the mag to make sure the top round is now on the other side.
Josh707 wrote:Yeah, I could ask them about it but I don't know if they'd want some random guy to work on the game instead of them, David has said he would like to do more with Receiver but Overgrowth is the priority right now. I'd have to restart with just the TT-33 and Andrews models though, there would probably be legal problems if the models from RO2 were used. Looking at the to-do list on the github page it seems there's not much they had in mind at the time for any updates, just a few more handguns and minor tweaks/optimizations. I could probably implement a few things on that list, but I think my stuff is best left as a mod for now.
At the very least I'd say you could check it in to your own branch, then submit a pull request for anything you think should go in the base game, like the performance optimizations you made.