Ideas for an expansion of Reciever

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
Groenendael72

Ideas for an expansion of Reciever

Post by Groenendael72 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I've been thinking for a while now, and I came up with an Idea for the use of reciever's mechanics:

A game, like a normal FPS, against other players, resembling games like CoD, but using reciever controls.

That's it.

Simple.

I think it would be brilliant.

Please respond with Ideas, thoughts, questions, or just sit there quivering at my wonderful idea.

Think about it.

Josh707

Re: Ideas for an expansion of Reciever

Post by Josh707 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 pm

I think it'd be great too, I'm not sure how someone would go about animating characters and maybe even arms for the first person perspective but it would still be awesome. I can imagine sharing magazines with teammates and situations where you and your enemy are fumbling with their guns in front of eachother. It'd be infinitely more satisfying to reload quicker than your opponent and take them out, because you were faster with your gun rather than hitting R to reload before he did.

emugod

Post by emugod » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 am

The way receiver is currently set up, with instant mag loading and cumbersome switching, I don't think would actually make for fun deathmatch (if anything it should be the other way around). Also, it goes without saying that one-hit kills would have to go, replaced with either just a single health pool or at least region damage (as in Deus Ex/Fallout 3/Swat 4). Bullet physics and modelling should probably just be replaced with hitscan (in practice even in game it really basically feels like it already, except with the addition of ricochets which are just a gimmick). You'd need character worldview models (I'd leave the playerview as just the gun) and ideally these would show the players manipulations to some degree. I don't think total detail would be required, but for example showing when the weapon is holstered, when the chamber is open (slide locked back or cylinder out), when they're aiming.

Groenendael72

Post by Groenendael72 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeah, it would be hard, and there would be a lot of changes, but I think it could be made into a good game. Going along with the ultra-realistic part of the game, the character could be wearing a bulletproof vest, which would stop pistol rounds, and some smaller rifle rounds.(other weapons would have to be added in) Bullet physics could be kept, and a hitscan could be built off that to keep the drop, ricochets, etc. the hitscan is actually already made, as you can hit induvidual parts of bots. the new system would just have to include gun caliber as well.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:33 pm

I think looking at this possibility and comparing it to other deathmatch games isn't effective. Receiver only compares to other FPS games because of it's perspective. Everything else is different. In a team vs team or deathmatch game mode, players would not be running around, jumping everywhere and spraying bullets like crazy.

This would be the first deathmatch game where I feel that military training actually helps out a lot. Popping corners, pieing doorways and stairs, always having someone providing security when you are reloading or moving through open areas.

Because Receiver's mechanics take a bit of time, preparing to go into a firefight is crucial. Just running around, tearing through corners without preparing is likely to get you killed pretty fast, just like standard Receiver. Think about how the normal turrets aren't always facing you, when they do spot you take a second to shoot and and even manage to miss occasionally. Human players will respond faster, might not ever turn around, but can be more or less likely to miss. It adds a lot of variables to calculate, so a lot of situations are going to be slow and methodical. Also, because many rooms have an overhead area that overlooks the bottom area, you could have half of your team providing overwatch or flank the enemy by going above.

It would be far more about planning, thoroughness and tactics than about how many bullets you can dodge.

This is all aside from that fact that someone would have to animate all of the humans and other stuff implied. I think a mod for human enemies would be a good first step.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 am

I like the idea, but id rather do it like in this nice thing viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18226 as its far more intuitive and you dont have to remember an insane amount of buttons. I would love to see it in a western game, maybe a remake of smokin guns 1.1. Spinning the revolver with this 'spinsound', insert every bullet with some italo western music in the backgound (or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsLJpZmh2g... OMG Pleaase

if you want it receiver-like, theres this here i once saw on indiedbhttp://www.indiedb.com/games/relock
Last edited by Thomason1005 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Oooh, Relock looks fun. Gotta try that. I love Receiver's play style, interested in seeing how it fits in other games and how other execute it. I saw that Relock has hands for the player. I remember that David and Aubrey excluded those because they felt it was in the way of seeing the weapon. Not sure how that will feel, but I'll find out.