Desperate Gods

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
Korban3

Re: Desperate Gods

Post by Korban3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Playing a 1v1 with a buddy right now, he's stepped out for a moment.
This is fun as hell. We weren't sure what to do on the Golem, so we both ended up fighting him for like, 6 or 8 rolls. Got him eventually, but it felt like I was playing Shadow of the COlossus there, with how long it took. Didn't mind though. We were also repaying money for each round. Both of us made bank on him :lol:
But this is a freakin great game. I'm loving it! Awesome work Aubrey and David, you guys did a great job.

EDIT: Also, player interactions. We met twice now. The first time, I tried to trade him the potion for a silver and a kill card. Negotiations broke down, so I ran him through like a pig :D The second time, he was all low on health and I had caught up in the opposite direction (Stupid Asylum) and dropped him a potion.
Last edited by Korban3 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Anton wrote: btw Djemps, I just tested it on both my computers, and I don't get any visual errors on my Mac Pro running 10.6.8 or my Macbook running 10.7.5.
Still occasionally happens to me. Mostly when windowed instead of full screened. It can happen at the creation of a new game, or if you have minimized the window and then reopen it from the dock.

Glitches aside, I think this is marvelous. My mind is exploding with the implications and possibilities of 'DG'.

One important question: Has anything similar to DG's networked physics-based game table been done before???

matt000r000

Post by matt000r000 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Djemps wrote:
Anton wrote: One important question: Has anything similar to DG's networked physics-based game table been done before???
LackeyCCG + Monopoly Here & Now + GMod = DG = WIN.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 am

I got a chance to play Desperate Gods a lot tonight. Here is a list of important commands that I have found (or want!!).

I hope you find it useful. :?

DRAW A CARD

This can actually be a little tricky at first, mostly because of the fact that you can accidentally pick up the entire deck: Place the cursor over a deck of cards. Press the Left Mouse Button and quickly flick / pull-off the top card. Letting go of the mouse button will also let go of the card so be careful. Generally you want to hold onto the card until it has been flipped / revealed.

PICK UP DECK

This is usually what you end up doing at first when learning the game: Place the cursor over the deck of cards and hold down the Left Mouse Button until the entire deck lifts up off the table. This command is necessary when placing monsters back at the bottom of the deck.

SHUFFLE

Surprisingly simple: Pick up a deck and shake it around. The contents in the deck will randomize. If you don't believe me, flip the deck upside down ('F') and give it a good shake. ** Big thanks to Anton for pointing this out!!**

JOIN CARDS

Just drop a card or deck of cards onto another single card (or deck) and they will join together. Face down cards can only join with other face down cards. Vice Versa for face ups. Keep in mind that different types of cards can join into one deck.

READ / REVEAL

Just press ‘R’ and the card will turn face up so you can read it.

ROTATE / FACE DOWN

You can rotate by pressing ‘E’ or ‘Q’. But you should really only ever use E. Why? Well first of all, regardless of which orientation a card has been rotated, it will magically change orientation when joined to a deck. In other words, if the back of a monster card shows the glowing skull facing the ‘opposite’ way in relation to the rest of its deck, the card will go back to ‘normal’ when joined to its deck. This way players can’t secretly remind themselves what cards are what by changing their rotation in the deck. Secondly, you should learn to quickly type ‘E’ then ‘F’ to turn a Revealed card Face Down. There are many spaces on the board where one must draw three or even four monster cards. Learning to quickly type E-F will help speed the clean up.

TAP

This is probably the most important Key Command in the Game since it can be used for so many things. I will break this part down into a few sub-categories to focus on the details; but in essence, ‘T’ places whatever item you are holding down onto the game board.

TAPPING TO MOVE

This is mostly for fun, but it does help show your opponents how many spaces you have moved: Pick up your game piece by holding Left Mouse Button and ‘tap’ the T key over every space that you move. On your final space, simply release the Mouse Button instead of tapping (or you can ‘Place’ your piece as well). Now you are moving around the board just like your childhood self!

TAPPING TO CHOSE

I don’t have a microphone to speak to other players with. And I’m also lazy about Game Chat. If I want to let others know what dice I have chosen or what Monster I wish to fight, I will pick up the game piece (LMB) and then ‘Tap’ it a few times to let them know I’ve picked it. The important thing with dice is you have to be careful to ‘Place’ the dice back down carefully or people might think you are trying to cheat. Speaking of which…

PLACING

Not too complicated: If you pick up a game piece and want to set it down in a very specific spot (or avoid rolling dice) you can ‘Place’ the piece down by holding ‘T’ and then releasing Left Mouse Button while still holding ‘T’.

DRAGGING

So if you Place an object down onto the board and begin to move the mouse (while still holding ‘T’) you will drag the game piece around. Interestingly, player pieces seem to slide smoothly when drug across the wooden table, but tumble around when drug across the game board. This means you can tip your game piece over for dramatic effect. Although mostly useless, Dragging can be helpful if you’ve flung your health stones over and want to roll them back right side up (or maybe I’m the only one who gets bothered by this).

--- COMMANDS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ---

TAPPING TO PLACE

Right now the dice are the only objects that seem to magnetize together. (Hopefully there will be ways to pick up lots of coins at the same time?) But, let’s say I’ve picked up too many dice; it would be great if I could place them back down on the table, one by one, by ‘Tapping’. This type of command would also be important if the engine was modded to play games like Mancala etc…

TAPPING PEGS

Likewise, if there are ever modifications for games with pegs like Cribbage, Battle Ship etc… it would make sense to simply place the pegs into the holes by utilizing the Tap key as well.

LIFTING HIGH

Occasionally I have accidentally knocked pieces over while picking up another piece and moving it. Perhaps a player could lift a piece high into the air to avoid collision by pressing ‘H’?

SCOOPING UP / GATHERING UP

Finding a way to pick up lots of coins at once would be fantastic. There are probably a few ways to do this; but I was imagining a toggle command like SPACEBAR that changed the cursor into a large hand. Maybe the hand hovers above the game board and can be brought down to collide with objects by holding LMB. All objects that collide with the Hand (and with one another) would magnetize together like the dice. At this point a player could place individual pieces back down by Tapping one at a time. Or they could drop the whole pile by toggling back to the normal cursor.
Last edited by Djemps on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:03 am

Djemps wrote:I'm running the Mac build.

Am I the only one who randomly gets garbled graphics on the game board and cards?

This usually happens when creating a new game. I exit and start another and the problem is solved. Occasionally it has happened when I minimize my windowed game screen and then come back to glitchy graphics.
I have the exact same problem on a machine with Windows 7 and an AMD graphics card.

EdReicher

Post by EdReicher » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:43 pm

I played this game for 3 hours last night. I freaking loved it. I didn't expect anything less than an awesome game from the Wolfire Game Crew, and I got exactly what I had hoped for.

Gentlemen, feast your eyes upon the next board game supergiant, Desperate Gods.

MadCatMax

how to desperate gods

Post by MadCatMax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah, pretty much everyone's first go at DG.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:03 am

Hey Guys,

I've finished up the soundtrack, and made it available: Check it out and let me know what you think. (Also, Aubrey made another awesome album cover for it!)

http://bandcamp.antonriehl.com/album/desperate-gods

cthuljew

Post by cthuljew » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:46 am

Here's a few thoughts on things that need to be clarified or fixed in the game from me and Saedz, in no particular order.

When you land on the Hedge Maze, do you do nothing on this turn, and then lose your next turn as well?

What does "Get the gold from limbo" mean on Altar? If it's from the money pool due to a player dying, that needs to be explained in the rules.

The wording on money/silver/gold needs to be fixed. I suggest calling it all "gold", changing the silver coins to gold, and putting a 5 on the big gold coins.

Can you really sacrifice your last life to save Serene Way?

Can you just choose to take damage from a fight when you're sitting on Swamp? Or do you have to fight a dude every time?

Alarmed Knight does 4 damage instead of 3.

Do you have to go lower into the dungeon when you pass a corridor, or is it optional? Can you go back up whenever you want?

When a card says "you may reroll X attack dice", it should be changed to "you may reroll the attack die X times".

When it says that a card should be discarded, does this mean it goes onto the bottom of its respective deck?

Why are the backs of the cards a different color from the tiles they are associated with?

Woeful Dryad says "(opponent's choice)" but the rules provide no method of choosing which opponent.

I think that's everything I can remember for now. Really awesome game so far, but, of course, board games are horribly complicated so stuff like this is always going to plague them.

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 am

I want a lighter to burn the cards that don't help me :P

Also, this would be awesome on tablets :)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 am

So, after the explosion of games from people playing because of the Youtube video, we need some kind of game filter/browser/scroll bar... You can't even go back without joining a game, because the back button is off the screen.

jam88

Post by jam88 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:46 am

yes its a major problem because i cant see my friends games, so we cant play online, maybe also a lan option would be nice

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 am

Sorry about that, this build should fix the scroll bar issue:
Windows: http://cdn.wolfire.com/desperategods/de ... win_42.zip
Mac: http://cdn.wolfire.com/desperategods/de ... mac_42.zip

Verva

Post by Verva » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:26 am

First off, this is the best approach to board game games I've ever seen. I can't ever play board games I love for 2 reasons: 1) I have no irl friends that play the nerdy board games I do, and 2) The online versions of these games are terrible and take all the fun out of playing them. DG fixes both of those problems, and hopefully a bunch of classic board games are made for DG.

Second, when do you think you'll release a Linux version?

Thank you for being awesome!