WHY DESPERATE GODS IS AMAZING.

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
wccrawford

Re: WHY DESPERATE GODS IS AMAZING.

Post by wccrawford » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 am

Djemps, Unity is free to download from unity3d.com and github just uses Git, which is also free. Github itself should have info on checking out a project locally.

Good luck on your mod! :)

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 am

Wow. This has been me simply trying to download Git and GitHub this morning...

I'm on a Mac. I opened the git-1.8.0-intel-universal-snow-leopard.dmg, ran the pkg but I can't seem to find the actual GIT program anywhere. :-/

I was a little more successful at downloading GitHub. It's running, but I have no clue what to do next. I'm not even sure if it is linked to the Git program hidden somewhere on my Mac.

Finally, what is the best way to grab all of the DG files from David's Github? I'm more of a graphics guy. I'm sure if I could locate the assets and their code I would be able to make some 'standard' looking dice and a set of 52 generic playing cards.

wccrawford

Post by wccrawford » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 pm

The basic version of Git is simply a command line client. I haven't used github's downloadable client, but http://mac.github.com/ says that after you install it, you can simply click 'clone in mac' on the website and it'll start downloading on your github client.

wccrawford

Post by wccrawford » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh, also, I'm looking to start modding the client and could really use a decent set of dice and cards. (Dice of all shapes would be nice!) Coins, pawns (player pieces), and little army men would also be nice.

purple_pixie

Post by purple_pixie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Anton wrote:I'd love to see a version of Munchkin ported into the setting. I think it would work perfectly. The one thing missing right now though for card games is to be able to have a private "hand" that you can draw from. I think with a little tweaking (and the card editor that David made) prototyping any type of card game in game would be a relatively simple task.
Totally agree about Munchkin, but I don't think a hand is a needed new addition - the functionality for it is basically there, you just have cards somewhere around your bit of board, all it needs added is a way to turn a card face up on your screen while it still looks face down to everyone else on theirs, so people can look at their own cards.

Naturally you would want this indicated to everyone else to prevent people just looking at, say, the top card of the deck like this. It could be indicated shown as being lifted up as though peeked at, while not showing the face to anyone or something.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

purple_pixie wrote:
Anton wrote:I'd love to see a version of Munchkin ported into the setting. I think it would work perfectly. The one thing missing right now though for card games is to be able to have a private "hand" that you can draw from. I think with a little tweaking (and the card editor that David made) prototyping any type of card game in game would be a relatively simple task.
Totally agree about Munchkin, but I don't think a hand is a needed new addition - the functionality for it is basically there, you just have cards somewhere around your bit of board, all it needs added is a way to turn a card face up on your screen while it still looks face down to everyone else on theirs, so people can look at their own cards.

Naturally you would want this indicated to everyone else to prevent people just looking at, say, the top card of the deck like this. It could be indicated shown as being lifted up as though peeked at, while not showing the face to anyone or something.
That's exactly what a 'hand' could easily be: A small area on one's screen where you can place cards that would then automatically be shown face-up... but only to you!
I'd imagine it'd be the lower edge of the screen, and other people's 'hand' fills would be seen as face-down cards on the other three edges, one edge per person.
Maybe something like that?

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Glabbit wrote: That's exactly what a 'hand' could easily be: A small area on one's screen where you can place cards that would then automatically be shown face-up... but only to you!
I'd imagine it'd be the lower edge of the screen, and other people's 'hand' fills would be seen as face-down cards on the other three edges, one edge per person.
Maybe something like that?
I agree.

I suggested a similar idea HERE, but with the mechanic of making objects turn invisible to other players when placed in specific areas. I actually think the idea of simply having cards appear Face-Down Always to other players might be a better solution, since it still shows you manipulating cards and arranging your hand. But, eventually there will be the need for secret DM screens and such. In which case an invisible area of the table might work better.

Nobillis

Post by Nobillis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 pm

I would have to agree about the private hand. I think the easiest thing to do would just to have an area that, when you move a card into it becomes invisible to all others bar you. Or stays face down. You can still press R in that area. If this was to become a successful venture though it would have to have some solid coding to stop hackers from seeing your hand.