[Mod]Formula D (Updated 1/31/14)

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.
Halestorm

[Mod]Formula D (Updated 1/31/14)

Post by Halestorm » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:04 pm

I got into a board game called Formula D over the past few weeks and I love it. So I modded Desperate Gods to make Formula D. I also posted this in /r/boardgames over on Reddit.

It has eight tracks from Formula D and one track from the older Formula De (The Daytona track). There are over 30 tracks from Formula De, but I want to keep the game size down as all those high res textures really add up.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a shot, and I'd like to hear about it if you do!

Here is the TableTop episode for Formula D if you want to see the board game in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYEoP0j63c

Download v1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/download/un8el ... D_v1_1.zip

Changelog
  • Support for up to 10 players. Use 'W' and 'S' on the unzoomed camera to view all dashboards.
  • More cars!
  • Changed alternate car textures so similar-colored cars are easier to tell apart.
  • 30-sided die for 6th gear instead of 20-sided. (Thanks Dinjoralo)
  • Better 12-sided die, no more sharp edges. (Thanks Dinjoralo)
  • Re-textured 20-sided 5th gear die so numbers are in the position they should be.
  • Added colored tokens by the dashboards. Players may use them to mark what dashboard belongs to what car.
  • Lots of little tweaks and adjustments such as fixing box colliders.
  • Shadows! Makes it easier to see where pieces are going to drop.
  • Can use mouse wheel to zoom now as well.
  • Included PDFs of game rules.
Old version (Not compatible with newer version)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uhals ... a+D+v1.zip

Screenshots
Last edited by Halestorm on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AmorphousGamer

Re: [Mod]Formula D

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:24 am

wow okay . . . wow
Good work. :D

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:25 pm

Does it work on a mac? I don't know how to tell :P

Halestorm

Post by Halestorm » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 pm

daxtart wrote:Does it work on a mac?
I honestly don't know. I think it should, looking at the Unity build options (PC, Mac, Linux standalone build), but I don't have (or know anyone with) a mac, so I cannot test it myself.

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 pm

I'll see if I can get it to work out :D

Dinjoralo

Post by Dinjoralo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:56 pm

As someone who has... minor experience in Blender, I wouldn't mind helping this project out a bit. I just need to know a few things, like which die is the fourth gear one.

EDITEDIT: Here's a .blend file of all the dice. They're all nice, even, and beveled.

Halestorm

Post by Halestorm » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Dinjoralo wrote:EDITEDIT: Here's a .blend file of all the dice. They're all nice, even, and beveled.
Hey, great! I took a look at them. The 4th gear die is the green 12-sided die. I increased the weight of the bevel a little to make the edges more round and noticed the bevel works a little differently on different vertices. The bevel is a little wider on certain corners. Any idea how to fix that?

If all else fails, it shouldn't be too noticeable and I can just use it like that. It's the only shape it does this on. The 30-sided did look a little odd until I triangulated the faces.

I appreciate the interest and the models. I'll have to re-texture them, but it isn't that big of a deal. Maybe I can give them a little bump-mapping along the way.

Edit: This shape is a real pain to texture properly, too. It's all a mess after bevel/triangulate. I'll keep trying. I have made improvements to the game already and will put up an updated version hopefully soon.
Edit2: Thanks. The uneven bevel was still noticeable before triangulating, but much less. I am happy with it and have it textured. It's much better than the first one I had. I just left out the triangulating in Blender. Unity does it automatically on import anyway.
Last edited by Halestorm on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinjoralo

Post by Dinjoralo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 am

I'm not at home right now, and I can't see that image because of school internet blockers. I'll figure out what's wrong after I get home, maybe make some UV maps.

EDIT: I think the bevel issues come from the model being triangulated. Apply the modifier first, then triangulate.

Dinjoralo

Post by Dinjoralo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:34 pm

I tried making UV maps for the dice myself, and I also dug up an old D20 model I made to practice UV mapping. Here they are, if you want. I tried to make them as not-painful-to-the-eyes as I could, but the D30 still needs work.

Halestorm

Re: [Mod]Formula D (Updated 1/31/14)

Post by Halestorm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 am

Updated the game. Up to 10 players now and other improvements, new screenshots. Changelog included, the different version are not compatible with each other.

Enjoy!

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:01 pm

Good going bud! Keep it up!

Giossepi

Post by Giossepi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Kind of off topic but I was wondering if you would be able to offer insight on how you did this, i am also trying to make a total conversion for this game but I have zero experience with unity. right now I have all the assets loaded but i keep getting script errors, i havent changed anything mind you, just loaded the assets into unity pro, Thanks in advance

Halestorm

Post by Halestorm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 pm

I'll PM you.

Giossepi

Post by Giossepi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:56 pm

I am not authorized to send private messages(?) anyways you can reach me at my reddit username Giossepi http://www.reddit.com/user/Giossepi/ or if you have steam, i am giossepi (it shows up as WN_Giossepi)