Additions to the Lugaru 2: Health Meter

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Eric
Support Ninja Master

Additions to the Lugaru 2: Health Meter

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:18 pm

I decided to seperate the topics in the "Additions to combat system" thread. The following are quotes of recent comments in regards to a Health Meter.
Zantalos wrote:Although, I have to agree with the other people that say it is hard to know your health. Besides for the health bar to make the game very unrealistic, it actually has a big purpose (actually this is a pretty pointless sentence, rhetorical),and something else needs to take its place.
In Lugaru, lots of the things had to be made to make of for this. There is blurred vision, a swaying camera, side holding, and others that help show Turner's status, but this doesn't seem enough. People are still getting confused their are still request for health bars when there really shouldn't be.

One of the things that confused me alot was the recovery effects, Turner's damage effects would dissapear faster then his health could recover. Many times I would retreat after winning a small fight, and then rest until my vision, aching sides, everything would go back to normal. Unfortunately, I'd die so fast afterwards, it seemed that I hadn't even recovered. Since their is no feeling indicator and keyboard pain stimulants haven't been invented yet, a simpler method should be used instead.
The easiest thing to do that would probably work just fine, is to have longer or more permanent damage effects. If you are feeling dizzy from lack of blood loss, your vision shouldn't return until your blood does. I'm not sure if this is how your body actually acts (I can't say I've lossed alot of blood before), but this would definately clear up alot of my problems.

So what else could show damage besides the regular damage indicator? How about a little 3d graphic of a human heart (bunny heart) that shows pulse rate (obviously) based upon Turners damage and activeness? -Like, if he had just been animal running or recently had to fight. This could be activated just by pressing a button, Turner could place his hand on his neck or chest and feel his pulse or it could be just a loud heart beat noise that you hear when damaged. Their are many other ideas, I know this one isn't perfect. But I think more needs to be done to show your life percent. After all, Turner knows exactly how he's feeling, why shouldn't we?
Bob wrote:I like the heart rate monitor idea. Heart rate gives you some idea of how things are going, but is very dependent on the activity so it isnt a tell tale like a health bar. Also being hit doesnt directly correlate to losing/gaining "heart rate" so it still has the same idea of uncertainity, but with some idea of how things are going.
rudel_ic wrote:An accurate health meter would be less effectiveness in combat, visible injuries, bleeding, fullscreen blur, broken bones, finally unconsciousness and death.
Zip in regards to a three dimension heart idea perviously posted by Zantalos wrote: Sounds like a very good idea except for the 3d graphic, since the point of not having a health bar is because it's a distracting interface element.
Zantalos wrote:Ok, alot of changes would have to be made for the "heart beat" effect to work.

You are right, having a 3d heart would be very distracting, having it appear in the left hand corner would be no better than having a health bar (it'd probably be worse). However, let's just say when Turner is not in a battle situation, all he would have to do is check his heart (activated with some kind of 'check' button, like 'i'), and a little 3d realtime animation of his beating heart would come up. It would only show up when he checks his pulse and would probably change his focus since, he'll be occupied with monitoring himself (when the button is let go, the screen is completely clear again).

Another thing is, the heart pulse could only monitor two things. Activeness and blood pressure (permanent damage). And so it would not be able to actually show your cuncussion damage, because, that wouldn't make any sense as Bob had said. and as Turner's activeness increases, pulses would temporarily get stronger and more frequent (messing up your readings). Once your rate calmed down you would get your actual damage amount. Blood loss would make alot quieter pulses and they would appear less frequent, eventually flatlining (I'm actually not really sure what happens with blood loss and heart rate). This would give the players a good idea of how much damage you could take the next time you go into battle.
leDoOd wrote:Why not go Call of Duty 2, and make the screen gradually get redder and redder, more blurred and less detailed, and some sounds of heavy breathing and pain grunting as he takes more hits and his health gets lower, with his heart thumping louder and louder each time he gets hit and his health gets lower until he dies/passes out? Then if he just passes out, a bloom effect could be used, making all the screen fade to white then fade back a few seconds later, to simulate time passing.
Zantalos wrote:I really like this idea.
The idea taken from Call of Duty would be pretty sweet, especially when it would come from some one like David. Maybe it was just because of my settings (they were pretty high though), but the only things that happened would be perfect vision and then real messy vision if you went into some seriously critical condition,
The screen would get blurred, the outside edges would turn red, and he would cough and stuff (I really liked the coughing). I think these would look alot better with Lugaru's damage effects, the blacked out vision is alot more exciting than the red edges, apart from other things. I think you would have to change Lugaru's gameplay for this (change isn't always a bad thing).
Since the regeneration was complete and fast in Call of Duty 2, it wouldn't matter if you couldn't see squat, you would be back in action sooner than you'd know it. In Lugaru, damage has the multiple levels so regeneration is slow and not always succesfull. In the original (the only one), you could be fighting and not even know the damage you're in, that is until you're dead. If no change was put into the regeneration (if every thing was the same), you would be running around, blindly tripping over youself only to realize that there would be no way to cure your health. The damage would be permanent and now you couldn't even fight back (very well), with the constant blur. I still like this idea though, even if it would make things harder (I think there are going to be ways to heal yourself, so this could actually make things easier), at least it would feel more realistic, give more control in Turner's health.
leDoOd wrote:True... I didn't think of the permanent knife damage.

Maybe there could be a sort of "rest" feature, where the character sits down, bandages his wounds, naps... takes some morphine... :D
I always thought that it was a little cheap to have been sliced earlier in the level, then later a single punch could kill you. If it was easier and more accessible in L2 then there would be more incentive for casual gamers like myself to sit down and play through a level without breaking the keyboard in half in frustration. hasn't happened to me, but ya never know...
bob wrote:Jeff posted earlier, and I can't seem to find it, that there will be food. It is very possible that this food, along with time, and maybe bandages will help you heal all wounds.
From what I have gathered about the playing style of L2 there won't be set levels in the same way as L1 (this is from both forum posts and conversations with Jeff). That being said there will have to be some way to fully heal since there won't be major breaks, although there are many ways this healing process could happen outside of food.
Albab wrote:Maybe something like a healers hut?
That would be good. Also, you could get various drugs from there.
Last edited by Eric on Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Oh a healer's hut would be sick!
Any kind of hut would be sick! It's just that I'm getting so sick of all those wicked sick rock structures! I mean, brick housing, leather tents, how about some mud hovels and some wooden shacks?

A bunny ran store would be hella awesome though, it could sell things like healing drugs, pain drugs and awesome drugs (just kidding fellas, drugs are bad! But hey, knock out drugs would be cool though. Turner would say something like, "Uh ya, can I buy 30 pounds of that sleeping herb? I got alot of raiders to knock out." :twisted: ) The currency could be anything from some kind of island paper money (maybe not. Some kind of coin?), or it could be something entirely different like enemy scalps and you could get things like store credit instead. It wouldn't even have to be money it could be somthing like simple trading instead (like in amazon trail 3 and stuff, "Wierd Worlds").

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:48 am

Oh there could be like a thing that is just totally based upon your difficulty setting. Brothers in Arms kinda does this, they take out the suppresion meter when the difficuly is on "Authentic", most things are turned off, corshairs can be toggled off too.

And it should be sort of similar for Lugaru except, more so. Their shoud be the normal: easier, normal, insane modes. But there should also be either a level higher or a level lower to choose from too. That means there would be room for a difficulty like I dunno, "practice mode" or wuss mode. And this could also be changed up and have easy be easier, normal be easy, insane on normal and epic would be insane.

No HUD or anything on the hardest difficulty, you're basically another enemy.
You get like a makeshift HUD if you choose the lowest difficuly setting.
Also it should say what number your health is at on the debug mode too, for map editing and other tests.

The authenticy of Lugaru should stay the same, but beginners should be able to start off Lugaru a whole lot easier with some kind of indicator for health.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:12 pm

If that were to happen, I would rather have the HUD as a sepperate option in user-creation, like
"HUD:
No
Little
Much
Full (Debug)"
or something...

Maybe start of with little, but mainly stay with none.

Zantalos
The Postman

Exaggerated health effects

Post by Zantalos » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:26 pm

leDoOd wrote:Why not go Call of Duty 2, and make the screen gradually get redder and redder, more blurred and less detailed, and some sounds of heavy breathing and pain grunting as he takes more hits and his health gets lower, with his heart thumping louder and louder each time he gets hit and his health gets lower until he dies/passes out? Then if he just passes out, a bloom effect could be used, making all the screen fade to white then fade back a few seconds later, to simulate time passing.
On second thought, this is a good idea. The damage effects should be really turned up. If you take alot of bleeding knife damage, you should be pretty much blind in battle, there shouldn't be too much you can do until you get healed, or still manage to kill the enemies and find a place to rest up (runaway?).

The damage should be really obvious for you to know, even when you're not fighting. Limping and blind fighting could be awesome.

Macdogg

To Hell With Your HUDS

Post by Macdogg » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:52 am

In my opinion Lugaru's idea of removing a HUD was one of the most ingenious innovations in the Third Person gaming. It made things much more simplified and I'd hate to see L2 to go 2 steps backwards.

If you cannot figure out that your player is in bad health concerns when his face and body are covered in blood, well no offense but you may have some newbie problems.

One idea I had is that the game should intensify the blur vision. When your character is being brutally destroyed he should start seeing double, to the point when you no longer know where the enemy is.

In one scenario I had, a Turner starts seeing double. His enemy has a knife so the option to run away is simply impossible. So instead you have to go 50/50 and try to make one glorious blow. The player then charges at the enemy hoping to make contact. If the player succeeds a Rocky-esque haymaker is accomplished, knocking out your opponent for a good 7 seconds and then getting you out of double vision. If the player fails his character would simply stumble to the ground giving the opponent just enough time to take out his stunned foe.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:54 am

I think L2 should feature severed tendons ... then again, maybe not.

I think L2 should feature adrenaline effects ... naaaa.

I think L2 should feature scars ... :shock: DEFINITELY

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:56 am

Scars... yeah.
If someone slashes you with a sword or something else sharp, after some
time there will be a scar there and you'll walk around and look cool with it 8)

The only problem with that is that you will be nothing but scars in the end.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:05 am

I see you're concerned about Turner looking pretty.

Anyway, for me, a health meter or anything like that is out of the question. The idea of there being no HUD was one of the impressive gameplay mechanics in Lugaru, and like some guy said already, I would really hate to see Lugaru take a step backwards. Definitely not going to happen.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Crill3 wrote:Scars... yeah.
If someone slashes you with a sword or something else sharp, after some
time there will be a scar there and you'll walk around and look cool with it 8)

The only problem with that is that you will be nothing but scars in the end.
Yeah, the model would end up being one huge mass of scars. People would flee in terror at the sight of you.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:53 pm

What if you meet some kind of goth bunny in-game that finds scars attractive? (Not saying I'm a goth, but it always looks nice with some chaotic-ness on such a plainly patterned surface.)

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:56 pm

well maybe thats more incentive not to get sliced. :)

and besides, not all of the wounds would make scars, just a few of them. i think it would add to the immersion.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:59 pm

How about you have a temporary scar that gradually disappears after a week? Some could last longer, others shorter.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Scars would be cool... but the same health system in Lugaru 2 wouldn't be the right step in my opinion.

Since my PC's graphics card is ATI, I never really got to see the blurring effects of Lugaru that I saw on my Mac, which made it really hard for me to judge if I was definitely in good or bad shape. Cuts, scrapes, and blood is okay, but...

...since most of the damage I took is from the front, and you can't see the front when attacking, it made it that much harder for me to tell if Turner was going to last a few more seconds.

I would prefer an adrenaline effect that tells you exactly what shape you're in to random guesswork, as I usually guessed wrong, ran into the group of enemies... and promptly died. Not very fun.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 pm

Jeff wrote:How about you have a temporary scar that gradually disappears after a week? Some could last longer, others shorter.
That would be cool. Just another little level of detail Wolfire is known for.