Additions to Lugaru 2: Blocking/Shields

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
David
Project Leader

Re: Good Idea, but...

Post by David » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:52 pm

GaGrin wrote:Why not make it a hold and release function like reversing high kicks?

If you press the key in time you will defend - but if you release it at the correct time you will counter/riposte, reverse or disarm (dependent on context of course).

I just don't like the idea of having to double tap a key, and I think the ease of the controls was one of the things that helped the fluid combat in the original Lugaru.

Just my opinion of course, but I think that would be simpler to control while still requiring the same skill of timing.
I was thinking that shift would just dodge, and then click would perform a quick counter-attack, and rclick (or whatever 'grab' is set to) would let you set up more complex counters. In L1 it is often actually a bad idea to reverse an attack when there are multiple enemies around, because you don't have enough time between attacks, so it seems like it would be good to have more control over the complexity of your counter-attack. This might turn out to be too complicated, in which case it would have to be simplified, or a good dodge would enter slow motion briefly to let you figure out a response.

NovaNoah

Post by NovaNoah » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:57 pm

Ooo, you really think don't you David, I agree with you.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:38 am

Well, his word is final... It dose not really mater if you do or not... lol
(same Applies to me I will add, but it ends when it comes to the chainsaw :P , Cant wait to see it in game david :wink:)

With Grabbing, will you be able to do that on dead bodies?
Will you be able to drag or throw things with the grab button?
I could just see it now... Grabbing a limp bunny and chucking him into the other bunny next to him!

NovaNoah

Post by NovaNoah » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:03 pm

True :D .

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:27 pm

Colicedus wrote:Well, his word is final... It dose not really mater if you do or not... lol
(same Applies to me I will add, but it ends when it comes to the chainsaw :P , Cant wait to see it in game david :wink:)

With Grabbing, will you be able to do that on dead bodies?
Will you be able to drag or throw things with the grab button?
I could just see it now... Grabbing a limp bunny and chucking him into the other bunny next to him!
that would be hella fun!

NovaNoah

Post by NovaNoah » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:43 am

Umm, not sure if this is what you're talking about but: Hauling Bodies of rabbits by taking there Hands/Feet and drag him along. (this really should be on the Lugaru 2 Random idea dumping thread but i have enough Edits on that last post i made)

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:15 am

Dragging, throwing, disarming... It's all good 8).

Congratulations on walking away (relatively) unscathed from a knife-fight, Coli.

And I actually like the idea of a dodge, counter, grab kind of situation... But interestingly your mention of a 'grab' key gives a small amount of credence to my idea... you could still use the auto-block to deflect an attack, and then use the 'grab' to try and disarm them...