Additions to Lugaru 2: Open-ended-ness

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Albab
This title is part one ...

Additions to Lugaru 2: Open-ended-ness

Post by Albab » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:03 pm

I think people are giving far too much attention to the combat system, and not enough to the fact that it appears that you can do ANTHING -an appearent farming system, towns, (I bet) high level interaction with NPCs- Just about anything. So, since I have nothing to quote, go forth and overhype.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:21 pm

Digging and cave-mining?
Has been done before, so why not again? XD

Digging down some extra money in dirt and snow just in case...
Watching some prisoners or something working on a cave to get salt, gold, stones or whatever you want from a cave.

You know... even if fighting is fun, normal survival seems to be fun aswell.
Just find yourself an opening on a grassy hill in the forrest, gather some wood to make a simple roof to sleep under and watch the rain (if you are patient and got an eye for eyecandy ("sweet-eye?"). Kill a rabbit and roast it on the fire. Gather some more wood. Build a hut, or maybe a small house. With windows and doors, of course. And a chimney. Get seen by some badguys a few times a month. as soon as the get to know who and where are killing them, they will send more and better ones. In the meanwhile you can feed your newly bought cows and make sre your garden still got tasty carrots.

*mumble ramble ramble sleepy*

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:09 pm

Kill a rabbit and roast it on the fire
cannibalism? I don't know if Turner would be the kind of person to eat his enemies, but hey, it'd be cool if you could just in case.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Oh I like the digging idea! I can't remember what game it was (some war game), but there were places where you could dig in your own little fox hole to hide in. I think their should be holes you could take time to dig in. It would be like your own little rabbit hole! You'd just create a hole in the ground (it could be existing holes), and then *poof* you'd go into it and you'd be in your own little camp. Ok that's a bad idea I admit, but there should definately be some hole levels (Silb's cave level). I think campfires would be the better deal.

But I can't decide whether the idea for Rabbits being omnivors is better, or being full herbavors is better. Eating some rabbit meat would be pretty gruesome, pretty fun to do. But because of plot coherency issues, I think that the rabbits should be full vegatarians and the wolves should be full carnivors.
As bad as Turner can get, killing rabbit after rabbit, and continuesly stabbing their dead body over and over again with a knife (I like to do that, I do it alot). Turner should be freaked out every time a wolf strings up a rabbit on a fire, it should be like a nightmare for him, it wouldn't make sense for him to eat his fellow man. Cannibalism anyone? Rabbit stew does sound like pretty good eats.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:49 am

lpod100 wrote:
Kill a rabbit and roast it on the fire
cannibalism? I don't know if Turner would be the kind of person to eat his enemies, but hey, it'd be cool if you could just in case.
Remember: It's survival. You got bodies lying around, why not take advantage of them? (I mean their clothes, belongings and meat)

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:42 am

Rabbits are herbivore. :P

Okay: in other news, rabbits don't do kung-fu. But I think the alpha wolf did say they were herbivore. They may still be in L2. :)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:20 am

Nuky wrote:Remember: It's survival. You got bodies lying around, why not take advantage of them? (I mean their clothes, belongings and meat)
Oh that would be cool if it could have a system like Fallout or Oblivion, where you could salvage everything off of your enemies.

In Fallout it was pretty neat how you could check people's bodies and take everything they were carrying, sometimes it would be pretty useless stuff but still, it was very important to survival.

Later in Oblivion (when bodies wouldn't get completely destroyed from machine guns and rocket launchers), people could actually start looting specific articles of clothing off of bodies. It's just too bad that it didn't have a system for knocking out, because that would be pretty sick to watch people wake up in their undergarmets after getting muggeed.

In Lugaru 2, you should be able to take away their armor, especially if yours keeps getting destroyed or ripped up. Not to mention their wallets, food, anything they might be carrying. Not sure how Turner could carry that stuff, David would have to create his own little backpack if he doesn't want to use backpacks based on weight (that's probably an impossible task though, same with trees :) ). Maybe it could be something simpler like one object bundle per arm.
Silb wrote:Rabbits are herbivore. :P

Okay: in other news, rabbits don't do kung-fu. But I think the alpha wolf did say they were herbivore. They may still be in L2. :)
lol* okay, rabbits are NOT herbivors. I don't know if you've heard of this but, there was this rabbit along time ago that mankind had to blow up with a holy hand grenade. Dude, that sucker freaken took heads off.
But ya, since the plot for Lugaru was that the Wolves would eat too many rabbits and gain too much territory, I think it would be pretty silly for Turner to go on his own little feasting spree and eat everything on sight (I would definitely do that if I could).
*laughing out loud

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:02 am

What I meant were: What if you're in some sort of bare landscape?
Like ics and snow, or mountains. No grass around for miles and you're about to die from hunger. Wouldn't you eat anything then? A wolf, bird or even one of your own kind who just died? It's not like there's any use in wasting valuable energy behind to rot, you know, just to find yourself dead an hour later.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:46 pm

How will dying be handled in an open-ended system? I've got some ideas for being knocked out, but being stabbed with a knife obviously means you won't be waking up a few hours later.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:33 am

wormguy wrote:How will dying be handled in an open-ended system? I've got some ideas for being knocked out, but being stabbed with a knife obviously means you won't be waking up a few hours later.
lol, wake up with some random knife wounds. :lol:
Umm I don't know about dying in a free-roaming environment since, David can't make any promises yet (he said he can't at least). But you might aswell post anything you have ideas about, in the least bit, they are fun to read and respond too. I'm guessing knock-outs would be more important (I think they worked in Lugaru, nobody ever noticed it though) :P

Oh yeah, in response to Turner resorting to cannabilism (I'm pro for this by the way, I heard rabbits taste good). I think that enemies should have a amount of randomness to their equipment, it could be based on their location, faction they're in, or something. When rabbits are in snow areas, they should be equipped with things like extra rations and stuff. Turner should be able to salvage the "battlefield" and eat/use any food/items/weapons he finds (anyone see Lost Battalion? Kinda like that, not suggesting World War Whatever though). Alot of the equipment wouldn't necessarily be needed either, so salvaging wouldn't have to be a main focus either.

Anyways, more realistic things should be given to enemies so that Turner may be able to live/survive like one of them instead (man, did I need that many '/', I confused myself).

theblob

Post by theblob » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Regarding cannabalism, has anyone read this article about graphic scenes of cannabalism in games?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Ha ha ha

Hey, how can Stubbs the zombie be marked as cannibalism, that is like so, pshhh. He's a zombie, it's a clear known fact that they eat enemies. FEAR had a very plot lined Cannibalism, it was kind of freaky, but I guess that's what they were trying to do (it was also a very minor part in the game, happened like twice where he chewed a bit of, stuff). <realizes there wasn't a point to those sentences> :)

I wonder how cannibalism could be with rabbits, they wouldn't have a beef with that at all would they? I mean in real-life, hamsters do that all the time. Why, just last year my friend's hamsters went cannibal and totally chewed up the weakling one, they were like hecka eating him and stuff. That might be too graphic if it goes out bite-by-bite realistically...

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:36 pm

About that dying/resurrecting thingie, I think I know a failry OK way to resume game...
Ok, as you start the game, let's imagine a fairly large and invisible circle at groundlevel. You are at the center at this circle. As soon as you walk to the edge of this fairly large circle, it disappears, and another one gets created around your position. This is where you will "resurrect" if you die. Kinda like a dynamic temporarily saving point, instead of a grid, like in so many games... Squares... Blah. Also, if you are idling around one spot, the center of the circle (resurrection spot) will slowly move towards you.
Also, keep in mind that if you picked up a knife a bit after having "saved" at the edge of a circle, the following center will also "pick it up" and add it to the stats when you resurect.

No?

Did you get that? No?

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:31 pm

I like the circle idea, but the auto-quicksave aspect could cause issues. Having to conciously quicksave is very important in my opinion.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:23 pm

bob wrote:I like the circle idea, but the auto-quicksave aspect could cause issues. Having to conciously quicksave is very important in my opinion.
They autosave would save continuosly from beginning to end, but would be behind on time as for about 7 minutes or so, so you wouldn't lose too much progress when you die. Also, manually saving continuously is cheating imho :( "Wow, I killed one, and there comes one more *save* kill *save* go 50 meter *save* go some more *rest and save*"

Grmble... I just ripped my jacket :(