Hitting walls (Can't describe it, read on)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:38 am

Hahahaha, your Oni ideas got slammed. :lol:

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:41 am

I played Oni extensively before designing Lugaru 1, and already incorporated some of its gameplay elements into Lugaru: mostly some of the movement controls. However, the combat in Oni uses the common fighting game mechanics of one-button = one-move regardless of context, which is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I want to focus more on the flow, strategy, and reactions of combat, rather than focus on launching canned attacks and combos.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:43 pm

However, I do plan to use the right mouse button, now that most macs come with four mouse buttons and a scroll bar
I have the Mighty Mouse, and it is in actuality a horrible gaming mouse. the left/right buttons aren't very well defined, so you have to press a specific spot for the mouse to register, which is no problem for normal use, but for fast-paced gaming its a curse. also, it isn't the most responsive optical mouse I've used. granted, I don't have an optical mouse-pad, but my IOptiJr (which is now my gaming mouse) works 5 times better, and in both cases one of the features is "no mouse-pad required".

This doesn't mean that I oppose the idea. I just think that you shouldn't count on Mac users to be able to play the game properly with the Mighty Mouse...

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:17 pm

Would mac users with one-button-mouse have to do ctrl+click, then? :P
And what about scrolling?

(no worries, I got mice.)

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:13 pm

any real mac user ditched their one-button mouse as soon as they bougt their computer and replaced with a good, multibutton mouse. thats a common mac user misconception.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:21 pm

You really shouldn't get hurt or disoriented when running into a wall, maybe if there was an insanely aggresive sprint mode where Turner would move so fast he can't even control himself then there should be some kind of stumbling animation where you could hit a wall if you turn to fast or trip somehow, just running into the wall then. But normal running shouldn't hurt you, if you hit something.
And there could be minor collisions where Turner just scrapes against the wall (or into it) if he's running, he doesn't fall over. And then rolling into walls should also get you hurt or something. It could be like Legend Of Zelda where you kinda bounce off it, or you could just get slammed into the wall and take some damage. That would be fun to do!

friday

Post by friday » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:40 pm

Nuky wrote:Would mac users with one-button-mouse have to do ctrl+click, then? :P

by the time Lugaru 2 it's out, probably all one-miced-macs will be suffiently old to be unable to run the game

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon May 01, 2006 12:12 am

friday wrote:
Nuky wrote:Would mac users with one-button-mouse have to do ctrl+click, then? :P

by the time Lugaru 2 it's out, probably all one-miced-macs will be suffiently old to be unable to run the game
Hey what's scroll button usually used for? It's always been for switching weapons right? I wonder what else it could be used as, shooting off a machine gun perhaps? Each scroll could be a shot, that might be a bit wierd, I like it. Oh wait what does this have to do with walls? How about scrolling real fast makes you regain balance after hitting into it or something? I dunno...

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon May 01, 2006 8:14 am

Well, I do agree that if Turner is running slowly, and is not blinded or desoriented, he should be able to "catch" the wall and prevent himself from cracking his head.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Mon May 01, 2006 10:44 pm

Machine gun scrolling?
Okay, anyway, Yes, catching the wall would work.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Tue May 02, 2006 5:40 am

I do see how the Oni combat system wouldn't really work, and I agree with David: The punch-punch-kick combo was pretty much all you needed. It was also kind of annoying that because I only had the demo, I could only do about half the attacks that there were. However, what might be a good idea would be to do something like Oni did with throws. Maybe, a right click when you're really close or something.

@Zantalos: Machine gun scrolling? :o

In a world of staves and swords, a new weapon: The AK-47!:wink:

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Tue May 02, 2006 10:33 pm

The van helsing crossbow? Why not, eh? xD

FoxInABox

spear/stick

Post by FoxInABox » Wed May 03, 2006 8:01 am

What about trying to dammage foe by hitting it/ramming it on purpose (sounds like the rabbit kick) may need to push a button while running to activate it, if you:
-miss, then you fall and can conter so you just roll and are back on your legs
-hit a wall, then you get some heavier dammage
-hit, then you stop without mutch/any dammage, while enemy is flying the opposite direction

-are holding a spear/stick and:
-miss, then spear hit ground (maybe get stuck) but you continue
-hit a wall, then spear/stick get heavier dammage while you get normal run into wall dammage
-hit, then you stop without mutch/any dammage, .. poor enemy

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 am

Makes sense.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Fri May 05, 2006 3:22 pm

These ideas kinda make me think of overall interacting with the environment. Maybe, if you leg cannoned at a wall and held space, you could do a super-flip over any enemies you happen to be fighting, and then cannnon them into the wall while they're still confused.

Which brings up another topic. The AI wasn't all that great in Lugaru. I mean, they could do basic stuff, but no flips, no wind-up punches, weapon preference, multiple weapons, knife throwing, wallkicks, or leg cannons. They shouldn't be as easily confused either. Maybe by flips after wallkicks, something really impressive. You need to think: What could get an enemy to stand and look at his enemy long enough to get leg-cannoned into a wall? Not much.:lol: