Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:08 pm

Maybe for some things, but with those, seeing things behind or to the sides of you is very hard. Lugaru needs the semi top-down view because it offers a wider field of view, so you can see all the enemies easier.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:38 pm

I meant for the theoretical inventory and it would have to be slightly elevated.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 pm

you should be able to purchase weapons and stuff that heals you and makes you stronger/faster/get more health.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:51 pm

^ That formula is flawed, because then a person could grind weak monsters for a few hours, get 1000 gold, and buy 1000 gold's worth of potions... rather than having to earn these things through experience.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:51 pm

Wait are you saying there should be magic weapons in the game or are you saying Turner should be able to take steriods?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:58 pm

If he can take steriods...he should have to face all the side-effects too...

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 pm

Grayswandir wrote:If he can take steriods...he should have to face all the side-effects too...
Yeah, like getting kicked out of the MLB.

Oh, wait...

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:41 pm

invertin wrote:I've already said this somewhere else but so people actually pay attention:

Physics based inventory. You get tripped up, your bag opens up and a load of knifes fall out, stabbing a rabbit in the foot or something.Also this would mean no "magic bag" problem.

These I just made up:

First person inventory. Turner gets his bag and looks inside, it enters first person mode, you control Turners hand with the mouse to choose what you pick up.

Fist person map

Turner pulls out a map and compass, it enters first person mode, you can look at the map and still look up in first person to check for enemys.

P.S. 2nd post.. My first probably wont be noticed
If my physics inventory and first person inventory worked together then you would have to be carefull about where you put your things E.G turner is reeeaaally hungry he opens his bag, only to find it is bulging to the rim with knifes! He rummages through stabbing himself on the knifes a few time but their are so many he dies of starvation before he gets to the cabbage at the bottom...

P.S That must be a big bag....

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:06 pm

While I think the idea of a physics based inventory is sound in theory, I do want about the graphcial interface required.

Personally I want to avoid having to go "out of game" as much as possible - while it *is* acceptable to have an inventory/bag interface I'd honestly prefer to stay outside of Turners head.

It may be only me, but I don't like changing view-points mid-game the idea of going first person in an anthromorphic psycho killer... just puts me off okay? I just don't think things would or should look the same for him as they do for us.

Thats a little off topic anywho. I agree with the basic idea, but I think a shoulder-cam for the inventory might be better suited.

How would we access the bag tho? Would it have a strap and a physical presence when worn? I assume this is intended.

I like the idea of no inventory but that which we can carry or store - no bag? no inventory! - with the possible exception of very small "pocketable" items if you're wearing clothing.

I can see advantages to the system - if it *is* physical and has weight then we don't have an arbitary system. If it fits it fits. The more it weights the more its going to effect Turner's movement (greater mass = slower acceleration/deceleration and quicker fatigue for example).

But what about the putting in/out? I can see it being more of a pain and interruption. We certainly won't be hefting lots of weapons in a normal sling-bag, tho i suppose we could have weapon bundles/sacks.

Can bags be damaged? Easily dropped and recovered? Will oppertunistic NPCs steal if we are engaged in a fight and left our wares unguarded? Will this bag system apply to the foes and friends we encounter on our journey? Thats a big deal for me actaully - I don't want to feel like Turner gets special treatment during the game just because he's the PC.

As I said, I like the idea in theory, I just see lots of problems with the implementation and without knowing what else David and Crew have planned its difficult to say if its a solid idea or hopeless and fruitless dreaming.

We shall see.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:58 pm

Turner, his fur ruffling in the wind, has arisen to fight the alpha wolf's... ... thing that he fights. Setting his bag down slowly, he approaches the imposing figure. Suddenly, there is a noise behind him. He turns to see a small rabbit running off with his bag of weapons and fresh produce.
"Come back here, dickhead!" he shouts, but to no avail. He is now alone, weaponless and hungry, facing the alpha... thing.

....It could work, I guess.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:15 am

Thats Maybe why you put it Up in a tree, Under a Rock (assuming things like that can be shifted), or in a bush In the Fighting Zone so you can Just Jump up a Tree/Roll a boulder over/ Grab it out of the Bushes and pull out the Right tool for the Right Job.

I hate to say, it will need a UI.
How would we use Consumables as well?

(David/Jeff This is you're Que. to make us go OMG Yous are Smarts :wink: ; you do have an Ider, Dont you?)

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:14 am

Or it would just be easier to wear the bag while fighting, you would be slowed down a bit but if your bag was full of knifes....

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:05 am

Then it would be cheap, cause you could just keep pressing the buttons to draw and throw knives over and over.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 am

In that case make it easier to dodge knifes! :roll:

eastshore4

Post by eastshore4 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:51 pm

Physics based inventory. You get tripped up, your bag opens up and a load of knifes fall out, stabbing a rabbit in the foot or something. Also this would mean no "magic bag" problem.
i dont think i'd get much enjoyment outta that... what happens if you fall down? it'd be the video game equivalent of Garth falling on his car keys. and stuff falling outta your bag? it'd be one of those annoying, random issues that no one likes to deal with. I don't remember what game it is at the moment, but there's a video game out there where sometimes when you would sprint, you'd randomly trip and fall. it wasn't very fun. I also don't think it'd be cool to have to babysit the bag, putting it away before fights and stuff... my roomates would probably find it odd when they hear me shouting "WHERE THE HELL DID I PUT MY CARRY-ALL!? IT WAS JUST HERE!!" from my room

Alot of folks here seem to want more RPG-like elements implemented, like buying items, inventories, long term damage, etc. but I dont think you need those things to give L2 a high replayability factor. I play this game over and over again because there's different outcomes with every fight. I think as long as they make it so people can do truly amazing, unscripted things, you wouldn't need all of these things.