Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:55 pm

Or Zelda.

Anything that doesn't really fit into RPG is indeed at least an Action RPG or similar, that's something I'm willing to agree on.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:19 am

David wrote:I don't think the name of the category really matters too much. I am planning to use some skill and equipment progression mechanics that are common in "action-rpg" games like Deus Ex or Oblivion, but in a different way that is not based on D&D-like character sheets.
Some how I think there will be a lack of chainsaws in Lugaru 2... :(

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:31 am

...but since we hopefully will get model and animation formats that are useable in the usual 3D modeling apps, you should be able to build a chainsaw and release it as an additional cool weapon, rise to fame, wealth, eat a lot, get fat and explode, leaving lots of blood and guts behind (over-dramatization alert).

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:28 am

rudel_ic wrote:...but since we hopefully will get model and animation formats that are useable in the usual 3D modeling apps, you should be able to build a chainsaw and release it as an additional cool weapon, rise to fame, wealth, eat a lot, get fat and explode, leaving lots of blood and guts behind (over-dramatization alert).
A dream come true.

Wait - did you say explode?! :S

Oh and yay at Dev response. Yay! :D

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:26 pm

1.horses, teammates or opponents, not to ride
2.NPC teammates, the computer players will help you in special missions

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Wed May 02, 2007 1:16 am

I have no idea if these have been mentioned in this thread, and I apologise if they already have been. But wading through 80-odd pages of forum posts to find them would probably take me too long. :p

1. perhaps a character creator or such. I like creating my own characters in videogames to kick ass with, this would be no exception :D you could select the fur colour, shirt, pants, shoes (well maybe not shoes, possibly sandals or footwraps instead) and so on to make your very own lapine warrior :D

2. Maybe having clothes not being textures on the characters, but actually being separate objects from the bunnies themselves, just to give it a better feel. Somehow having skintight shorts doesn't feel right to me :p

So far though, Lugaru looks awesome, keep up the good work :D

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed May 02, 2007 2:48 am

I hope David Includes some form of challenge mode with the ability to do such as that, and yes it has been suggested.

also, I think there can be a few Techniques done with bump mapping to make clothing have bumps and ripples and the such and to...
Well, not be like Tights.

New Nick name for Lugaru!

Lugaru! Bunnies in tights! :D

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed May 02, 2007 4:07 am

ChazFox wrote::D
ChazFox also wrote::D
then ChazFox wrote::D
and then Colicedus wrote::D
Ah shit! INVASION OF THE :D SMILEYS!

(In cinemas now!)

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:04 am

ChazFox wrote:2. Maybe having clothes not being textures on the characters, but actually being separate objects from the bunnies themselves, just to give it a better feel.
That seems likely considering the way worn items are apaparently going to work in Lugaru 2.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 am

Ultimatum479 wrote:apaparently
What's an apaparently?
Don't you mean apparently? :wink:

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Wed May 02, 2007 9:12 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:
ChazFox wrote::D
ChazFox also wrote::D
then ChazFox wrote::D
and then Colicedus wrote::D
Ah shit! INVASION OF THE :D SMILEYS!

(In cinemas now!)
Yes, I'm a bit of a :D/=D abuser at times. also on my list of much abused smilies would probably be :3/=3. But enough topic derailment from me ^^; any plans for a kind of "kill-cam" feature either in single or multiplayer modes? Basic idea is if you hit an enemy particularly hard or kill them in an awesome way, it replays the kill from a different angle, just to show you how much you kicked the guy's ass. Another idea is if you do a knife throw kill, it'd show the knife travelling in slo-mo towards the enemy.

I might also have suggested a kind of "X-Ray" view to some kill-cam shots, so for instance when you stealth kill an enemy, after the spinecrusher's been done it shows an X ray view of the spine breaking. Like I said, I'd suggest that but I think there might be a few lawsuits coming in from the folks behind Tenchu if that were to be implemented =3

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed May 02, 2007 9:37 am

Replays are unlikely because they break up gameplay flow... although you should be able to record replays (demos) and then view them later if you want. I have been thinking about the bone-breaking thing. I think I may add some way to visualize pain when Turner is injured, but probably not for enemies. On a related note... I sketched Turner's skeleton for drawing class a couple semesters ago, using Aubrey Serr's concept drawing as a silhouette.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed May 02, 2007 10:20 am

Nice. I am suddenly reminded of Donnie Darko.

Also, for visualizing bone breaking, why not do like the japanese; freeze the broken character and invert or solarize the image? =D

Heh. Just the snapping sound plus the usual movements, and thereafter limping or tardy movement related to the injury would work too, imho, but visualizing it (the forementioned stuff... never mind that) could also work. And hanging limbs? Broken off in the middle? Twisted? And bloody? <.<

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Wed May 02, 2007 12:24 pm

David wrote:Replays are unlikely because they break up gameplay flow... although you should be able to record replays (demos) and then view them later if you want. I have been thinking about the bone-breaking thing. I think I may add some way to visualize pain when Turner is injured, but probably not for enemies. On a related note... I sketched Turner's skeleton for drawing class a couple semesters ago, using Aubrey Serr's concept drawing as a silhouette.
First off, they be awesome pictures ^^ secondly, Another idea for the bone breaking thing would be to open up a little box in a corner with an X-ray view of the victim and have the breaking bone synchronised with the actual spinecrusher/other move.

On Nuky's post: That sounds like an awesome effect as well ^^

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Wed May 02, 2007 3:21 pm

pretty good skeleton David, but didn't you forget the bones in his ears?