Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:21 pm

I see what you mean now, yes. Like if Turner has just been beaten so much that he collapses because he can't go on. Then it would be a nice idea.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:13 pm

It could even possibly be cool if you were able to attack one last time before dying. This would be more meaningful in multiplayer...

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:51 pm

Death cry: When players die slowly (bleeding out, for example) or with a health amount that's closely below zero, the player yells out really loud. All actors in a certain distance turn away from the dying player, cover their ears and make a few steps away. This affects players and NPCs. You can turn it on and off on multiplayer servers, it doesn't exist in singleplayer though.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:05 pm

@rudel_ic: what game are you talking about? It sounds kinda weird really, why do all the "actors" (I assume you mean characters, but in either case...) turn away

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Yeah, I mean seeing as how it's a (usually very intentional and driven) fight to the death wouldn't you be, if not triumphant and celebratory, then at least relieved your enemy died, rather than suddenly getting all squeamish and/or respectful?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:15 pm

No, the character yells out really loud. Remember, rabbits yell with a high frequency, and these have the size of humans, so they can get damn loud.
The others turn away because of the pain the yelling causes to their ears.

...okay, maybe it's not the best idea ever.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:21 pm

wait are u recommending this for Lugaru 2? It sounded like you were telling us about some game you had played. If it is an idea for Lugaru 2, I'm not a huge fan of the idea, maybe a toned down version where you become a little less focused, but not turning away, that would be annoying during a fight

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:28 pm

It was an idea for Lugaru 2. But you're right, it would get annoying if it occured very often. That's why there's a tough rule to make it happen:
players die slowly (bleeding out, for example) or with a health amount that's closely below zero
This doesn't happen that often.

Alright, it's really not a good idea.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:47 pm

No no I like the idea.

But I'd like it better if instead of screaming so loud it hurts others, it should be like a painful scream/yell/whine that happens, like you said, whenever you are slowly dying. but instead of making others run away, it should attract others, and from long distances. You know how in movies, there'll be like a loud scream, and the main characters all, "what the hell? Lets go check that out." It should be like that. It could attract both friends of enemy's and every one else, who'd be interested (can't define what interested is).

In SOS (or so I've heard), there would be damage that made the enemy limp, even crawl around. So instead of sprinting out to other enemies, they should just yell and others should come, even help the the injured bunny up and away (maybe not away, at least stay with him. Maybe till he dies, very dramatic). There should be more teamwork among the rabbits, that doesn't all tie down to combat.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:02 pm

[quote="leDoOd"] or "kick, fall down, sit up, commit seppoku, collapse into ragdoll". :D/quote]

seppukku!!! hell yes!!!

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:17 am

Ya, Blackshades was the only actual game I could tell that would actually do this. It was actually one of the first posts I made, and the answer was all animations would be physics based. Which is really cool, I know combat isn't done yet, but if this is one of the focuses, then it is going to be awesome, it's just one of the facts of Davidness.

And so if this is the case, it really shouldn't matter how long or how short the animations are. Since they could be interupted, the amount of content involved with death should be limitless. Also, David should be pretty experienced at it too. He made all kinds of revolutionary things for Blackshades, there hasn't been any game that could copy shockwaves and body dismemberment like those. I think animations are going to be perfect (I'm not saying that people should stop posting their ideas, not saying that David actually "needs" them either).

Oh, you know the idea of seppukku (seppoku?), the enemies should try and commit suicide and you should be like "no way man" and roll grab their weapon away from them. Other places where enemies might want to surrender as one of their death sequences, you should be able to let them surrender, maybe just giving you the chance for a free "practice" shot.
Ya, I realize how that would be stupid, just dumping off another random idea.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:03 am

I just played Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighters, and they use my exact idea of physics-and-scripted death. It was a little bit jerky when your guy was dying, but that's because their camera was strange. For normal baddies, it worked greatly and added a new sense of realism to the game. The cool thing was if you peppered the enemies enough with bullets, it would skip the scripted animations entirely, but if you only shot them once or twice, they'd have an elaborite routine where they clutch their side in pain, stagger around, then fall down. I got one guy to fall off the cliff this way, and it was extremely satisfying just to see him stumbling around then collapse and roll off a cliff in ragdoll.

Too bad their AI was the dumbest I've ever seen on an Xbox 360. You could literally run circles around them, and they would only shoot (and miss) once or twice, then they would get confused and go into a prone position and fire at trees and the water. I guess their purpose in that mode was to be shooting gallery targets. This was in multiplayer though, so I don't know about single player AI.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Oh what? Ha ha ha ha ha!
You played Ghost Recon online before playing single player! wtf? Nobody does that, didn't you get owned? You had to learn the controlls without the tutorial or anything? You must have gotten owned! Pawned man, pawned!
Hey, do you pronounce 'pawned' as 'owned' or just as 'poned'

I didn't even know they had bots in multiplayer, bots usually suck in multiplayer though, well... not that badly, they must have really sucked. But I've heard the single player AI was hella hard, you couldn't just run and gun, you'd get wiped out. Even ducking and shooting was hard since, a stray bullet could drop you down with a headshot, and suppresive fire was constantly going on (least it looked like it, looked like they'd wander out in the open too, not even shoot back). They had GRAW for 'On The Spot' and that reviewer was constantly getting killed in the embassy level, he couldn't even get passed it. And all he was doing was crouching behind a concrete wall, maybe he just sucked.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:45 pm

It's not too hard to learn what to do... as in all shooter games, the basic premise is point and shoot with a good gun. That's what I did, and I got 3rd place in the game. :D

And I pronounce Pwned as "pooned". I dunno if there's an actual real way to say it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:47 pm

This is for talking about Lugaru 2. Stop talking about other games too much.