Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Having the game freeze wouldn't really fit, in my opinion. You can't freeze time to aim IRL, so why should you in L2?

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:47 pm

I'd like to point out that IRL, we don't have giant talking kung-fu rabbits.

That said, freezing time would probably break up the flow of the action too much. I'm sure there's a better way of handling knife throwing.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:01 am

I think knife throwing should never have to use a cross hair or iron sight thingy. But I think the knife should have more aiming behind it, like if there is a bunch of guys and you don't want to just hit the guy closest to you, you wanna hit the guy with the sword at the far right, your knife throw should be aimed at the center of what you're looking at so you get more control, not a literal cross hair appearing but Turner should be more tuned in and focused in the direction you're looking when making throws and stuff and so you can hit that guy on the far right because you're looking at him.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:07 am

How about this-

Press Q- Quick throw, misses sometimes, closest enemy.

Press and hold Q- Goes into over the shoulder aiming mode, no crosshair, only misses if you miss, but you can't move very fast while aiming.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:49 am

wormguy wrote:I'd like to point out that IRL, we don't have giant talking kung-fu rabbits.

That said, freezing time would probably break up the flow of the action too much. I'm sure there's a better way of handling knife throwing.
Haha, good point. But yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. It wouldn't fit in with the no healthbar feel.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:16 pm

invertin wrote:How about this-

Press and hold Q- Goes into over the shoulder aiming mode, no crosshair, only misses if you miss, but you can't move very fast while aiming.
Yeah I think this would be a much better idea. Tapping q is a normal throw and then holding it down will do an over the shoulder aiming until you release q and he throws. The over the shoulder aiming could be similar to SOS so Turner kinda focuses on to certain enemies if you get a bead on them but you can also just aim your knife wherever like into a tree or cliff side if you want as well. The holding down of q would take a moment for Turner to position himself so you couldn't do it right in the middle of a fight and get a bunch of head shots (though enemies are fast enough on the roll to make it really hard anyway). The problem might come if it's too cheap to take out a whole mess of enemies one at a time like in Mark of Kri. This shouldn't be too bad though because in Lugaru enemies actively hunt you down when you're spotted instead of just standing there, plus they also notice when they're allies are dead or running for help. You also wouldn't be holding 50 knives at a time.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:35 pm

Hey Zantalos and Invertin… Those ideas are both pretty much exactly the same as my idea…

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:03 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Hey Zantalos and Invertin… Those ideas are both pretty much exactly the same as my idea…
Yeah...and I think Zantalos was indicating he agreed with Invertin's point and so he added more detail to it. Lol that should have been obvious.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:31 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Just put in a quick throw for normal use like in L1, and have a first person view for precision aiming when needed. Iron sights though.

Yeah I was just agreeing with Invertin. And he wasn't suggesting iron sights and first person aiming FYI, which was the only thing you said.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:09 pm

invertin wrote:Press Q- Quick throw, misses sometimes, closest enemy.
I believe I suggested something to that effect…
invertin wrote:Press and hold Q- Goes into over the shoulder aiming mode, no crosshair, only misses if you miss, but you can't move very fast while aiming.
And this is pretty much exactly the same as my first person aiming idea.

Understand now? :)

NovaNoah

Post by NovaNoah » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:48 pm

invertin wrote:How about this-

Very good idea, holding down Q would be good for assassination or stealth, hit him wherever you need to for the highest advantage, although if the enemy has noticed you it would be better just to press Q for a short time.

Another thing that i though of: How about the longer you hold down Q the more precise you're hit will be, so if you just tap the Q key then you will probably not hit but if you hold it down for about 3 seconds or more you are most likely to hit the head or heart then the knee or shoulder.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:06 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:
invertin wrote:Press Q- Quick throw, misses sometimes, closest enemy.
I believe I suggested something to that effect…
invertin wrote:Press and hold Q- Goes into over the shoulder aiming mode, no crosshair, only misses if you miss, but you can't move very fast while aiming.
And this is pretty much exactly the same as my first person aiming idea.

Understand now? :)
Actually I don't understand, I quoted exactly what you suggested and you didn't say that, did you even bother to read what you posted? Also, first person aiming and over the shoulder aiming is completely different. I'm sorry but you aren't taking credit for Invertin's idea by talking your way into it.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:04 am

Just to clarify who suggested what, and what I actually suggested…

My suggestion was to have a first person view in addition to normal auto-aiming, with no crosshair.

Maybe next time you could tell me that I was misunderstanding a suggestion in a way other than a military special forces unit coming to my house and violently shooting me in the eye with five clips of rubber bullets?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 am

Lol I don't think anyone's listening to BWS anymore. Isn't he cute? ^_^

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 am

Sorry BWS. I just didn't notice/forgot that you already suggested it.