Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
JarnuK

Re: Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by JarnuK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

I just saw Art Asset overview 7 and noticed that Turner can land perfectly from very huge jumps. I think it would be cool if he would have to roll to land a huge drop or maybe have to recover if he doesn't complete the roll.

kkaallllee

Post by kkaallllee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 am

Kicktar wrote:
kkaallllee wrote:I have one idea, instead of go to next level with a boring loading screen or clickin to it in the main menu. Instead it cuold be like a road with some enemies or you get to riding a mount.
What would the mount be? Since you're a rabbit I can't see you riding a horse.
Maybe a fish with legs? Or now then you are an animal meybe they can ride on humans? No but a more seriose idea: Maybe a mechanic mount.
Or this but a animal exept for a human
http://postimage.org/image/16ewgxip0/

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

The cats would probably use that, have the puller be a rabbit. Although this brings up the interesting problem of trading, since trading is usually done with wagons or pack-mules, and I can't imaging using a rickshaw (I think that's what they're called) to transport goods long distances.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Maybe a bird unable to fly?
Like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratites

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Maybe, but they aren't really suited to most terrain on Lugaru.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 am

Kicktar wrote:The cats would probably use that, have the puller be a rabbit. Although this brings up the interesting problem of trading, since trading is usually done with wagons or pack-mules, and I can't imaging using a rickshaw (I think that's what they're called) to transport goods long distances.
The answer would be rivers, boats and barges. That's the reason so many cities are near rivers or on coasts.

North America had only dogs available as pack animals before the Europeans arrived, and some of the native Americans were nomadic. I don't know how they moved their things around, or if some nomadic groups lived without dogs.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:52 am

Well, in the snow dog sleds could be used, and I suppose the same concept could be carried over to other terrain if they've invented the wheel.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 am

Kicktar wrote:Well, in the snow dog sleds could be used, and I suppose the same concept could be carried over to other terrain if they've invented the wheel.
That's what I thought at first, but it looks like they didn't use wheels. The dogs had some sort of pack saddles or panniers, but it seems like they more often pulled travois. What's with all these French words?

source

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:41 am

Wait, I just realized they can't be 'dog' sleds, and the bird seems a bit odd to use like that.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 am

Humans or humanoids can pull those as well (but the higher center of balance might make loading them troublesome), but yeah, rafts, boats, barges and other vessels for moving on water would be much easier if they have no beasts of burden.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:16 pm

But I agree having them pull a wagon or something would look pretty odd.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Krabman318 wrote:But I agree having them pull a wagon or something would look pretty odd.
It's been done.

daftmorgan

Post by daftmorgan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 pm

sandbox mode where theres still enemies (that only attack when provoked) but theres no objective and you can still mess around with freeruning and combos.....because im a newb.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:40 pm

It would be fun if the npc's could chase you climbing around on things. Probably pretty hard to write for them, considering how hard it is to climb on stuff yourself.

I've been playing Mass Effect, and there's a class of Geth (a Synthetic) that jump from walls to ceilings to floors and shoot at you. The animations are kind of tree-froggish, and the characters have big toe and finger pads for stickiness, but they jump about very nicely.

It would be pretty hair-raising having a bunch of cats chasing you up one of the Parkour maps... and it would be awesome if they would run away from you by jumping and climbing.

Ench

Post by Ench » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

From videos I see that there is only one animation of running and those for rabbits. What about making an animation where arms and/or ears are completely loose and they will just go with the wind when the character will run forwards? That would make an animation for someone like he would be someone who just doesn't care and takes fight at something that is practically a pain in the ass :E Also, arms going back when running are also perfect for assassin characters, as they would ambush you from their hiding places like bushes or crowns of trees. And~, maybe Overgrowth can be a fighting game, but it looks like half fighting, half stealth, so what about improved stealth attacks? Grabbing a corpse and hiding it somewhere, so guards would not find the body and search for you in their area..