Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:59 pm

I think he means his definition of a soul is what biology would define as the consciousness.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:28 pm

I swear, I learn more on these forums than I do in school.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:39 pm

Isn't it odd how actively hating Nazis is considered an acceptable form of discrimination? Or is it just me who thinks thats slightly hypocriphal? Nevermind then :roll:

I suppose Lugaru sort of does this with its fluid combat/control anyway - but involved grappling (even if its simply a collection of very-short range moves that can be done with nearly any weapon or lack of weapons) would be an impressive feat.

Not vital I suppose.

I've been playing too much Dwarf Fortress -> Grab, Lock, Break, Release :)

Honestly I don't know how it would fit together with the current system unless you made either an additional "grab" key or made grappling a subset of standard moves with a more involved flow than the standard two move Attack/Reversal pairs.

So something like...

Grab -> Pin -> Hold

This would immobilise both parties but the held party would be stuck in defence and the holding party would be able to essentially do a stealth kill move if the held party failed to reverse.

Failing the Grab stops the grapple sequence before it starts, but once the grapple has been entered its a distinct wrestling-like struggle (of reversal and counter-reversal probably - maybe put weight shifting with movement keys in there so you can shift about?)

Actually I'm not sure this would work in practice - but I like the idea of a moveset for grapple moves that are used for various shortrange attacks and reversals. I suppose thats what Lugaru does anyway, but it would be nice to see things expanded beyond the single eastern fighting style.

Edit: I remember having a chat with someone about cloning and wether it is a good or bad idea. What they said was - that clones didn't have souls and so wouldn't understand right and wrong. They wouldn't know what evil was and so they'd be quite happy to rape, murder and steal. I didn't bother arguing back at the time - i was too absorbed in what he'd said.

I know this isn't strictly on topic but I just wonder if anyone here believes in fundamental right and wrong - and that as humans with souls we alone understand that.

Personally I find the arguement flawed - but I'm not interested in arguement really I'd just like to know what others think.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:39 pm

I think that our concept of fundamental right and wrong is a simplified classification by our own mind of things that through genetic memory or basic logic is overall detrimental to those around us. Morals can also be taught at an early age and in retrospect, since we have difficulty remembering our early childhood, seem as though they were ingrained in our minds or "souls."

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Very nicely put tallyl.iii

I think I agree.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks, call me Tally.

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Me definez soul:

Some thing that is a liviing thing.

If your living, you are a soul

Now you have to define living

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:55 pm

so single celled organisms have souls?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:05 am

Yeah, I think if we have "souls", single-celled organisms do too.
And nature, trees, plants..
Rocks, water? I don't know.
If a rock had a soul, what would happen with the soul if you
crushed the rock into 1000 pieces?

But wtf is a soul?

Maybe there is no soul, maybe our brains are just very complicated machines
:wink:
I don't really care though.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:10 am

Why wont you guys take this discussion over to the appropiate thread in the "Randomness" section :D ?

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:55 am

Crill3 wrote:Yeah, I think if we have "souls", single-celled organisms do too.
And nature, trees, plants..
Rocks, water? I don't know.
If a rock had a soul, what would happen with the soul if you
crushed the rock into 1000 pieces?

But wtf is a soul?

Maybe there is no soul, maybe our brains are just very complicated machines
:wink:
I don't really care though.
Just want to add one thing:
Where do you think that stone comes from? ;)
Yes, you guessed it: The mountain. And seeing as the earth is covered in mountains, where did the mountains come from? etc. etc. etc.

Anybody following classes and stuff should know by now what consciousness is, and why we are not aware of many parts of ourselves.
Also, I believe that applying souls onto something carbon based just cause it's able to move around and perhaps breathe and sense isn't believable.
People make up theories when they don't understand what things really are. Children have highly suggestive minds: They may believe in anything they hear without any scepticism. People also seek knowledge, so if you know nothing about the subject, you are also likely to cling to what people tell you.

But we digress!

Sadly I don't have any random ideas at the moment. xP

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:27 pm

Will there Be any form of Church or faith in Lugaru?
This is a Serious question. Some Churches could teach you how to do different martial arts, and be a useful ally. but of cores there are preachers that try to convert you to other paths, then that last church gets pissed off at you and throw nasty words at you, or sometimes try to kill you.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:30 pm

Colicedus wrote:Will there Be any form of Church or faith in Lugaru?
This is a Serious question. Some Churches could teach you how to do different martial arts, and be a useful ally. but of cores there are preachers that try to convert you to other paths, then that last church gets pissed off at you and throw nasty words at you, or sometimes try to kill you.
Since churches teaching martial arts styles may be a bit far-fetched, maybe we could make it more along the lines of factions or organizations that recruit you and train you.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 am

Ok Rephrase my words Church to Temple. :oops:

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:06 am

Nice, the off-topic actually stuff led us to something.

Factions, organizations, guilds.
Sort of like in Oblivion?