Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun May 28, 2006 8:19 pm

HAHA! That would be funny... but not really very "realistic". ;)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon May 29, 2006 9:05 am

leDoOd wrote:Also, I'm free to have my own opinions of what I think looks good and bad, so stop saying how stupid I am because I don't like HDR (or HDRR in Renegade's world).
1. I never once said or implied you were stupid.
2. It says HDRR in the images posted by Zantalos. I don't get it. Don't be a condescending fool (that's calling you stupid).
3. If you are allowed to have opinions, I'm allowed to have opinions on your opinions.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Mon May 29, 2006 11:30 am

NickD wrote:Be able to climb up trees... and... uh.... :lol: ...yah. Oh! also there shouldd be this thing where you go into water and if you go too far out a goldfish will eat you :shock: . That would be great. :P
That's actually not a bad idea, just make it a 1 in 500 or so occurence, so that when someone finally finds it, no one believes them because they were the only one that could pull it off :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 am

I think what he means about getting eating by a goldfish, is talking about boundry limits. See, some people are really put off when you hit the invisible boundries, while other people just don't really care.
But for people who don't like boundries, games will do things like seal you inside with a wall or steep hills or in the case of games like Battlefield and Call of Duty, blow you up with landmines or give you a death timer. (Half-Life 2: Lost Coast creates little blood suckers if you try to swim away. I hate that, I always lose the fisherman's harpoon stick in the water, I can't get it back, so now I can't impale people to things.).

So maybe the goldfish idea, would be if you got too close to the invisible boundry some crazy thing would happen. In this case, an unescapable goldfish would come out and eat you if you tried swimming away, hows that for a warning!

As a side note, (though you guys probably figured this one out) HDR is high dynamic range. See, most people just call it HDR or HDR lighting but it also refers to HDR rendering (HDRR). Even as HDRI, High Dynamic Range Imaging.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon May 29, 2006 4:43 pm

3. If you are allowed to have opinions, I'm allowed to have opinions on your opinions.
However, you are not obligated to voice them in such a negative tone as you are doing... and have been doing, ever since you decided you wanted to start arguing with me about everything I say and do.

To me, saying "LeDoOd is extremely picky" sounds like you are accusing me of being a prick and a snob about what games I play - in truth, I don't give half a shit what the game looks like. I care more about actual gameplay than graphics. I'm not the kind of person that won't play a game if it doesn't use the latest version of Havok Physics.

Again, to clarify: my list was made just to voice what I really liked graphically in games. I don't care if a game doesn't have any of those if it is a great game.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:52 pm

*ahem* anyways, on with the thread.

How about... pointless acrobatics? I think it would be so sweet just to do more than a flip, a roll, and a cartwheel - how about going crazy ninja insane acrobatic jumping? It could contribute to gameplay as well, like running (or flipping, or breakdancing) circles around the enemy that could make them dizzy, confuse them, impress them, etc.

And just the thrill of doing these things would keep me entertained for a good few hours. :D

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:48 am

Man I didn't get a chance to say what I liked graphically in a game yet (I guess I procrastinate too long... on a forum).
Anyways, I like decals alot. I think it's really cool you can pierce holes in your unlucky rabbit oppenents, or mess up and get a huge slash mark on your back (leaving a long snow trail when you skid across it). Lugaru had the best blood effects ever, Farcry had really cool bullet holes too.
I also like particle effects. As long as there is some kind of dirt kick up, it's cool.
Water effects are great, but I didn't really like oblivion's or Dark Alliance's water. It was a bunch or extremely smooth waves. In terms of looks, I think Zelda (N64) had pretty cool water effects. There's just really high splashing when you trudged through the water. I think it looks cool when games emphasize on animations like this, like when they make cars leave huge dust clouds when driving on dirt terrain (I guess, that would be particle effects).

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:10 pm

If decals got too realistic and guts and brains started getting blown out in realistic fashion, my squeemish side would take over and I'd start puking. :?

But... yeah. Lugaru's blood was good. I liked how the marks swords and knives made were always random.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:38 pm

leDoOd wrote:But... yeah. Lugaru's blood was good. I liked how the marks swords and knives made were always random.
Nah, they depend on how the sword slashes them.

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:15 pm

One (twoish) thing I'd like to see is dynamic cloud movement - that is, simply, that clouds will move in the sky and cast respective shadows on the ground. The only game I can think of that I've seen this in is the RTS Ground Control (which is free, btw), and it looked awesome.

A more specific facet of this would be that, with more cloud coverage, the fuzzier coulds get (if you ever pay attention in a really overcast day, you hardly have a shadow at all). Though that's part of the whole, jumbled... shadow-programming thing that's beyond me.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Dynamic clouds like you describe are already in the engine. Blurry edged shadows are also in there. The clouds don't cast shadows on the ground. Could you send a link to the game that has this? I'd like to test it out to see how it looks. If it's cool, you'll see it in L2.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:29 pm

Just search for RTS Ground Control on Fileplanet, it's free and you should be able to play it. If that was included in Lugaru 2...wow. That would be some slick programming.

EDIT: http://www.fileplanet.com/156136/150000 ... ee-Game%5D

Linked.

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:15 am

A more specific facet of this would be that, with more cloud coverage, the fuzzier coulds get (if you ever pay attention in a really overcast day, you hardly have a shadow at all). Though that's part of the whole, jumbled... shadow-programming thing that's beyond me.[/quote]

Der, I meant "the fuzzier shadows get". But I guess you figured that out. :P

And yes, everyone should download Ground Control; it's a ridiculously high-quality game for being totally free.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:46 pm

Damnit, I got a corrupted file.
Looks like I have to download it again...

God damnit, takes forever to re-download

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:45 pm

I just played it... It is a pretty cool game, but unless it's incompatible with my graphics card, the cloud effects are terrible. The sky looks very blue with a small amount of completely static clouds. The shadows I guess you were talking about was a primitive light map that is also completely static and doesn't really seem to be coordinated with the sky texture. The shadows were very dark for a blue sky.

It's a good idea though, and it is certainly possible and not very difficult to make the clouds dynamically cast subtle shadows on the ground in Lugaru 2. It will probably be included as a graphics option, since the effect will be pretty computationally expensive.