Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:40 pm

Please oh please oh please oh please make a fur shader like this!!! :D

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:21 pm

that looks like a picture more than a rendering. is it?

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 pm

I just found it online and re-uploaded it... I don't really know.
Looks like a real pic to me, but a game with graphics like that would be really tight.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:46 pm

...it's obviously real.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Great, your opinion has been noted. Thanks for contributing to my thread.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 pm

No snarky yeah we do need good furshader it would be cool is that better im not sure it looks better to me

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:45 pm

lol oh ho ho ho, oh you two, so silly. :P

real or not, that is just way to realistic. That is like a movie rendered photo, they have to use screens with at least 3 layers on them just to make images like this (You guys ever see those Pixar documentaries?). Also, Lugaru does things right. No clipping, no floating feet, the ears don't even sink through. I would guess that fur like this is based mostly off of textures and stuff, David's fur will probably be featured with some kind of interactivity to the environment the model it has right now works perfect for decals I think, there's no room for anything too glitchy. That being said, fur like this isn't bad, it just seems impossible to design for a game and not for a screenshot or cinema effect (every single strand looks like it has it's own direction, not only would you not notice this, but jeeze, the hell can that be done!)

The last thing is up to David. I think it's better to kill game friendly things, than super realistic things. Of course, anthropomorphic rabbits is already a pretty nice target for combat... nevermind. It is one of the reasons Blackshades uses polygonal humans and why Lugaru features rabbits and not ninjas brutally killing each other and stabbing them up after they're dead (which is what I do all the time, ya, I sleep well at night)

You and Renegade have such opposite... would they be called attitudes? The please oh please oh please oh please was just asking for something like that from Renegade. I'm sure his retort will be pretty obvious if he decides too :) he never said it looked bad, he didn't have anything mean in his commenting, he was just answering a question... it looks real!

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:19 am

I got that, but it's starting to cheese me off how Renegade hasn't posted an idea yet - just something directly related to my posts. I kinda made this thread so that people could post ideas.

Anyways, I know that fur like that wouldn't really have a use in-game... you wouldn't be able to see it in full detail all the time. Oh well, that's just me brainstorming.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:19 pm

The L2 fur shader will look as good as possible, though I haven't started on it so can't make promises :)

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:55 pm

Excellent! :D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:23 pm

Zantalos wrote:David's fur will probably be featured
David has fur now, does he? :P

Also, was it really cause for drama? I said it was obviously real. No need for anyone to get upset.

Furthermore, I've seen numerous occasions earlier in this thread where I have discussed other peoples' proposals. Do I have to use my very own ideas in the thread? No, I don't.

Anyway, an idea that could be considered would be (I've said this somewhere else in another thread) a running clothesline-type attack, or something to that effect that would be a kind of weak running attack, as opposed to the leg cannon, which would be the strong running attack, and would incur more risk of being countered or missed in doing so.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:04 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Zantalos wrote:David's fur will probably be featured
David has fur now, does he? :P

Also, was it really cause for drama? I said it was obviously real. No need for anyone to get upset.

Furthermore, I've seen numerous occasions earlier in this thread where I have discussed other peoples' proposals. Do I have to use my very own ideas in the thread? No, I don't.

Anyway, an idea that could be considered would be (I've said this somewhere else in another thread) a running clothesline-type attack, or something to that effect that would be a kind of weak running attack, as opposed to the leg cannon, which would be the strong running attack, and would incur more risk of being countered or missed in doing so.
Yup, I remember that. :P
Renegade_Turner wrote:Possibly a running clothesline would be in order. It would be a relatively simple running move, wouldn't damage enemies as much as leg cannon, but there wouldn't be as great a fail ratio. You also wouldn't take half as much damage as you do from the leg cannon.
And I remember this one too
Renegade_Turner wrote:One thing Lugaru 2 might do with : some form of running punch, such as a clothesline or something to that effect, so that you do not need to put your body at risk by diving in with a high-flying leg cannon.
Ok noted, running clothes line
I just can't wait to see some fighting in this game, a clothesline would be like hella crazy. Probably equivalent to doing a legsweep but directed at the top instead of the bottom, that should look great during fights. Though I'm not sure how practical that would work for Turner, probably for wolves and such. Can you picture Turner trying to clothesline a giant wolf like the Alpha male? It actually seems going feet first would be alot safer to execute. These rabbits look like they got hardly any upper mass, and their legs look even more specially inclined to doing rabbit kicking moves.

When you go legs first the only thing they could hit would be your legs, which seems impossible. It would probably be safer in that Turner wouldn't mess up his back but, it didn't seem like you got that hurt when you messed up those cannons. I mean, not in comparison to how open you would be during a full frontal clothes line. (that's like head first ain't it? Plus, I bet the reverse attack would be something involving you getting your arm snapped in half, ouch). But whatever, in terms of cool (which is pretty much the main thing that matters, I think), running clothesline is a cool attack.

By the way, Last day in school for me! I just got one final for German and then BAM, yeah...

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:22 am

That would be funny if you could set up strings and stuff to clothesline people without the risk of hurting yourself - you're running along, you jump a little over your string, the enemy keeps running... whoops, he tripped, so you go over and spinecrush him :P

Or... how about Turner, instead of spinecrushing, goes all Splinter Cell and interrogates him while keeping him in a hold? If he was someone of interest, you could get information about the baddy's whereabouts and stuff like that, or if he was someone innocent you could just torture him for fun. :twisted:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:09 am

Actually, traps would be an interesting idea. It might be straying from the core of the game's focus, though, which is the fighting. I don't know.

Gronlbad

Post by Gronlbad » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Sallad, you get HP of it :)