Multiplayer features?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
SilentSouth

Multiplayer features?

Post by SilentSouth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:15 am

Hi guys i've been reading up and stuff but i can't seem to find if this game is going to have an online multiplayer feature?

I think if it did it would seriously improve the games playability by like 500% the game looks amazing but it would be that much better if you could share the experience with another player online.

If anyone know any info about this please let me know.
Thanks

-SilentSouth

SilentSouth

Re: Multiplayer features?

Post by SilentSouth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:16 am

And by 'this game' i mean 'overgrowth' sorry.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:35 am

The developers would like to have some sort of multiplayer. They've said that they're trying to get some sort of co-op mode in.

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Yeah, PVP wouldn't work because the smallest amount of lag would disrupt combat.

Zimode

Post by Zimode » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:56 pm

PVP could work but it would be realy hard to fight but there could be race-type pvp or a "who can kill more bad guys" and stuff...

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Lag issues would be a problem yes, because the ragdoll physics in this game are so close to perfect, what can be seen on one screen will most likely not be seen on the other.

The game 'red dead redemption' has a very realistic physics engine, and a huge multiplayer interface, so perhaps something could be done, but on a much smaller scale to improve the chances of success.

Although i'm sure people would still be happy with a co-op survival mode etc, it would be immense if this game ended up like some sort of MMO/MMORPG.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Multiplayer is one thing. MMO is way, way different.

It's like comparing a small car to a train. One can move 4-5 people comfortably, the other, dozens to hundreds. One of them can use the normal infrastructure that all kinds of vehicles use daily, the other needs something more complex and expensive that's pretty much only used by trains. If a car is running late, the passengers may joke at the driver's expense. If a train is few minutes late, the passengers are furious and demand their money back.

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:55 am

Endoperez wrote:Multiplayer is one thing. MMO is way, way different.

It's like comparing a small car to a train. One can move 4-5 people comfortably, the other, dozens to hundreds. One of them can use the normal infrastructure that all kinds of vehicles use daily, the other needs something more complex and expensive that's pretty much only used by trains. If a car is running late, the passengers may joke at the driver's expense. If a train is few minutes late, the passengers are furious and demand their money back.
I understand that which is why i wasn't requesting it, simply stating how awsome it would be, I know it would be near impossible to achieve and there is like a 0.5% chance of it actually happening, but that doesn't take away how darn cool it would be, the attention to detail of the environment is very pretty indeed.

Zimode

Post by Zimode » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 pm

it would be nice if overgrowth had a 1v1 pvp... i dont think it would be that laggy and it would be fun :mrgreen:

Precastwig

Post by Precastwig » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Zimode wrote:it would be nice if overgrowth had a 1v1 pvp... i dont think it would be that laggy and it would be fun :mrgreen:
I'd rather have co op, just sayin' :D

Philipmejdal

Post by Philipmejdal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 pm

I wouldn't mind both of 'em :P I would very much appreciate pvp. either just 1 on 1 or up to four players. As long as there isn't more players i believe it should be possible and still rather playable :P And at least fun as hell...

Unless you suck donkeyballs at fighting xD

Zimode

Post by Zimode » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 pm

i think is necessary to have pvp or at least a ranking system...

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 am

I don't think there would be too much lag issues, i'm sure they could run 4 player servers, and depending on how succesful the game is when it is released they could get some sort of deal and upgrade the servers.

DLC could be made like new co-op survival modes and bigger pvp games depending on funds as servers can be costly.

Klumpers

Post by Klumpers » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:54 am

pvp should def be an option in a game like this :wink:

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 am

The servers would not be centralized (eg. no "upgrading" of them would be necessary). Their main concern isn't the actual lag, it's now to compensate for the lag and make sure it's a fair and consistent experience. :)

They will probably add in MP towards the end since if they add it now, that means they'll have to keep that up to date to have it be playable which means they would be wasting loads of time as well as spend loads of extra time on each feature to make sure it works over the net. :)

MP isn't something you can "activate" and hope that lag won't be too bad. Creating a multiplayer mode is quite advanced and it takes a lot of refining, testing and thought (like all other game programming). :)

I'm just writing this since some people here seem to think adding MP is different from all other programming somehow. Saying "I don't think it would be laggy" doesn't make sense, it fully depends on how David implements it. :)