If you need to know if Overgrowth will run,

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
cronomatix

Re: If you need to know if Overgrowth will run,

Post by cronomatix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Will it run on my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850?

Shoat

Post by Shoat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:55 am

I'm currently on a system that definitely cannot run the game (The thing is 7 and a half years old).

However, I will upgrade to a new one in the near future and would like to know if Overwgrowth will run on it.

Here's the specs:

- AMD Athlon II X4 Quad 640 4 x 3000 MHz
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM
- ATI Radeon HD 6450 1024MB
Not in the list of "supported cards" from the first post, but seeing as cards with a lower number than 6450 (The higher that number the newer the model is? Is that right?) as well as cards with less than 1024 and "mobility" versions of graphics cards were in I'd like to think that it should suffice.

Yes this is the best I can afford, and I had to sift through all of those super overkill machines that I couldn't afford to find it (It was actually only ~300€, I was really happy when I stumbled upon it as most machines with similar hardware tended to be at least 450€ and up).

I'd like to know if it'd run on that.
And if possible whether it "just runs" or I can actually turn graphics... up. That's something I haven't done in half a decade.

Anyway, if it runs on that machine, preordering Overgrowth will be one of the first things I do once it arrives.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm pretty sure it will run at that if the graphics card is good enough. However, as I don't know how ATI numbers their cards, I can't help there. I know that NVidia numbering doesn't follow the bigger is better rule.

The best option in this case would be to check a video card benchmark site, and see how the card in question compares to other cards. Here's one site, I don't know how trustworthy it is, but it does place this card very low on the list...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video ... ON+HD+6450

However, a "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT" is right next to it, and one guy did list that as working in the preorder forum's thread about supported video cards. "GeForce GT 130M" also reportedly works, and that's also right next to your card, although that one reportedly was a bit sluggish. That might have been the CPU too, though, but since it wasn't mentioned it's impossible to tell.

Changing a graphics card is one of the easiest things to do to upgrade a non-laptop computer, though. The only problem is that the model numbering systems are insane. Even $50 can get you a card with four or more times the benchmark points, but the only way I know of telling how powerful a card is is through a comparison site like that.

Oblivion7456

Post by Oblivion7456 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 pm

My graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD6490M isn't even on the list. I just updated the driver ,and it is getting much farther than before. Now, it can't seem to load the hotspots. (sometimes it begins to play some noise, either ambiance or music, then blacks out again) Anything I can do?