Music style is somewhat disappointing...

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Fidchell

Music style is somewhat disappointing...

Post by Fidchell » Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 pm

I would just like to open up with my personal opinion on the game's music. Music in video games is very important to me. When I first heard about Overgrowth and looked a bit into it, the immediate theme that poured into my head was along the lines of Koh Ohtani's work in games such as Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. I personally think that that music theme would've fit this game very well, but who am I to say that really? I haven't played the entire game and I don't have the general mindset of the way the game's atmosphere would play out; I know this, but from all the pieces of music I've heard from this game so far, I'm overall not too thrilled about it, and pretty disappointed even. I realize this might not seem like a big issue, but it is for me, and I hope I'm not the only one. I'd love to see the music updated (even a little bit) if possible to have the epic, orchestral theme I've been deeply hoping for. Thanks for reading.

Krabman318

Re: Music style is somewhat disappointing...

Post by Krabman318 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 am

I suggest you to take a look at this.
It´s a scripting mod by Samusaaron3, and it includes the awesome music ariehl added to OverGrowth.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed May 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Are you referring to the music that is in the game so far, or all the music released so far? I know that we still have a lot of work left to do on the music, but we are still waiting to see how the tech works, and on the story, to really finish the music for the game. There is definitely still a lot of work to be done...

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed May 18, 2011 1:51 pm

I appreciate you sharing this with me, but it's not exactly my point. I already have a general idea of what the music is like in this game--I've listened to a bunch on Youtube. The point of making this thread is just to express that the music doesn't do much for me at all, sadly. This is strange seeing as how I usually love Mikko Tarmia's (particularly in Frictional Games' works) music, but he's done a rather lackluster job this time.

I think I sounded too demanding and rude in my first post when I asked for them to change the music a little bit and I apologize. You all have no reason to listen to me, but I just hope maybe music change can easily be modded into the game upon release?

@ariehl Thank you for responding. You are one of the composers for this game, I heard? It's good to hear they aren't completed just yet. I personally believe it can be far greater than what it is at the moment. Can't wait to see what else you guys can do with it. Good luck!

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Fidchell wrote:I appreciate you sharing this with me, but it's not exactly my point. I already have a general idea of what the music is like in this game--I've listened to a bunch on Youtube. The point of making this thread is just to express that the music doesn't do much for me at all, sadly. This is strange seeing as how I usually love Mikko Tarmia's (particularly in Frictional Games' works) music, but he's done a rather lackluster job this time.

I think I sounded too demanding and rude in my first post when I asked for them to change the music a little bit and I apologize. You all have no reason to listen to me, but I just hope maybe music change can easily be modded into the game upon release?
It's ok to express an opinion about the music... and hopefully we'll be able to provide you with a quality you're happy with! I know I was excited to help out with the music because I didn't think it was at the level it could be, and a lot of impressive things have happened since then. I'm also pretty sure that everything you've heard has been around for quite a while, and there will be new things to excite you.

As for modding, I've already done one quick and dirty music mod, and I'm sure we will have more options to do it in the future. This game is designed to be mod-able, so I'm sure the music will be too.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed May 18, 2011 2:11 pm

That's good news...thanks for the response, Ariehl. :)

Also, Krabman, I'm trying to implement the mod you've sent me, but it seems I cannot change the script (with Notepad). It only gives me "Access Denied" when trying to save the new modified version. You know what's up?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it's because the update broke it?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed May 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Fidchell wrote:That's good news...thanks for the response, Ariehl. :)

Also, Krabman, I'm trying to implement the mod you've sent me, but it seems I cannot change the script (with Notepad). It only gives me "Access Denied" when trying to save the new modified version. You know what's up?
:)

That mod that Krabman sent you is old, and won't work in the newest alpha... David has added music since then, so it's probably better to not try to install it... However you are able to listen to the music he included, although it sounds like you've heard most of it before anyway...

As to your "Access Denied" issue, you have to open Notepad in administrator mode (or something like that) to work on the file... or save it in a different place, then copy it over.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Just in case no one's heard Koh Ohtani's amazing works, here are some of my favorites so you have a good idea of what I'm thinking

Siledas

Post by Siledas » Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Well, personally I like where the non-combat music is right now. Sort of reminds me of parts of the soundtrack Jeremy Soule did for Neverwinter Nights (the first one). It's the kind of stuff I can just have playing in the background at home when I'm reading a book or painting etc.

InvertedVantage

Post by InvertedVantage » Thu May 19, 2011 1:19 am

I have to admit I muted the music in the editor the first time it came on. Especially since there was no obvious option to turn it off, I usually like to listen to my own stuff while I'm messing with the engine.

That and the music at this point is too overpowering. There definitely needs to be a soundscape that the music can blend into. It looks like the devs are developing Overgrowth's sound a bit more lately, so I think they'll get to it in time. The music choice is especially important for this game, I feel. It really has an opportunity to make or break it.

I disagree with Fidchell's choices for the game though. I don't think they would fit.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu May 19, 2011 1:34 am

Fidchell wrote:That's good news...thanks for the response, Ariehl. :)

EDIT: Oh, maybe it's because the update broke it?
Yeah, it's been a couple of updates so sadly the mod is broken. I think I'm going to work on getting more music implemented into the game (kinda like in my mod, only smoother now that the proper code has been added to the game.)

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm

InvertedVantage wrote:I have to admit I muted the music in the editor the first time it came on. Especially since there was no obvious option to turn it off, I usually like to listen to my own stuff while I'm messing with the engine.

That and the music at this point is too overpowering. There definitely needs to be a soundscape that the music can blend into. It looks like the devs are developing Overgrowth's sound a bit more lately, so I think they'll get to it in time. The music choice is especially important for this game, I feel. It really has an opportunity to make or break it.

I disagree with Fidchell's choices for the game though. I don't think they would fit.
Well it doesn't necessarily have to be the SAME, just having a small orchestral theme would be very nice seeing as the impression I'm getting from the game so far is that of an epic.

Cosec

Post by Cosec » Fri May 20, 2011 1:52 pm

How about you make your own videogame and then you can put whatever music you want in it :)

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sun May 22, 2011 6:51 am

I really like the music that's been produced for OG so far, especially because of the very feral tribe'ish feel about it. Suits it well in my eyes.

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Sun May 22, 2011 11:45 am

QQ more. The music is more professional then you could ever make.