Bows and arrows

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Sectaurs

Post by Sectaurs » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:06 pm

Has David revealed the rabbit chest-bursters yet? They live in the egg chambers. :P

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:41 am

This just gave me an idea...

You are on a fort, with the kings army, all looking down over the wall, and an army of wolves or raiders are charging

and all the kings army (including you) have a bow and arrows, and you are all shooting at the enemy, and the climb the walls quickly with or something and u unequip the arrows and start fighting with swords or whatever.!

good idea? worth mentioning in the idea post?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm

Yeah good idea, some one mentioned it before so I'll just pull it up.
Lpod, taken out of context from [url=http://www.wolfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1055&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=11]Additions to Lugaru 2: Training (and weapon aiming)[/url]-it starts at lpod's post, thought I'd try that wrote:but yeah, david would have to totally change the style of combat to allow for first person aiming. maybe there could be levels specifically designed for ranged weapons, like a siege level, where you are one top of a wall and have to repel the hordes of enemies charging your fort. that would give you the best of both worlds, though it would probably require some extra programming and wouldn't be very consistent with the rest of the game.
And yeah, I like the idea. Any level where you are able to shoot crap-loads of arrows into an army would be fun, definitely.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:04 pm

Sectaurs wrote:I don't think the rabbit culture would have spent their time developing a very advanced bow and arrow hunting method. First of all, they're vegetarians and farmers. Secondly, they [except for Turner] run first and fight wolves and other predators as a last option, and when they do they are usually within their burrow-villages, in tight quarters where a bow would be a disadvantage.

I think they would have developed polearms and other implements that evlove from farming tools.

I am still of the opinion, both canonically and gameplay-wise, that bows and arrows are unneeded and superfluous to what Lugaru is about.

That is, of couse, just my opinion.
While I agree with this for the most part, lets not forget that the rabbits DO fight the wolves and infact fight each other. As a semi-advanced culture with an understanding of martial arts it makes sense that they could have evolved simple ranged weapons purely for warfare.

In my opinion I could live with either decision. If you don't have ranged weapons your game retaines focus and skill purely within the melee - you add them and you have an additional challenge for the player (facing archers) and give them extra tactical options.

As long as arrows break and you can't carry more than about two or three dozen (and as long as they aren't laser guided homing arrows of doom) I think it would be quite possible to balance them, the question is are they compatible with the 'cool factor' of the melee system?

Example:
The player (if skilled enough) can reverse or avoid any single attack. Is this true of missile weapons? Can I catch an arrow out of the air if my timing is perfect? Can I weave to avoid a thrown knife?

Gotta think of the cool factor, thats half the fun of this particular game. The flow and style perfectly compliment the brutal realism. Teh Win! :D

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:28 pm

You could also add in enviromental factors...not just placement of rocks and trees and hills...but wind. Lets say your some guy with a sword and you have to get up to the top of the hill where some guy is trying to ream you with arrows. At this time, the bowman has the advantage of range and ability to see around him. However, if you can figure out the direction of the wind (maybe look at the direction Turner's ears flutter or something when he's standing still...) you would be able to get around so the bowman is firing into the wind, making him have to compensate more.
Something like that.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Mike_Cuzins wrote:This just gave me an idea...

You are on a fort, with the kings army, all looking down over the wall, and an army of wolves or raiders are charging

and all the kings army (including you) have a bow and arrows, and you are all shooting at the enemy, and the climb the walls quickly with or something and u unequip the arrows and start fighting with swords or whatever.!

good idea? worth mentioning in the idea post?
Yeah, I saw Lord Of The Rings too.
Zantalos wrote:And yeah, I like the idea. Any level where you are able to shoot crap-loads of arrows into an army would be fun, definitely.
I would actually find that as a rather unwelcome attachment to a martial arts game. I mean, martial arts combined with a little ranged weaponry, but not levels that are focused on ranged battle. That's just me, though.
GaGrin wrote:While I agree with this for the most part, lets not forget that the rabbits DO fight the wolves and infact fight each other. As a semi-advanced culture with an understanding of martial arts it makes sense that they could have evolved simple ranged weapons purely for warfare.
I do not remember mention of any rabbit-wolf war. Weren't the rabbits overall very submissive to the wolves?
GaGrin wrote:Example:
The player (if skilled enough) can reverse or avoid any single attack. Is this true of missile weapons? Can I catch an arrow out of the air if my timing is perfect? Can I weave to avoid a thrown knife?

Gotta think of the cool factor, thats half the fun of this particular game. The flow and style perfectly compliment the brutal realism. Teh Win!
This, however, is a good point. How is a ranged projectile, which is supposed to be moving fast enough to hit a target even if that target is moving, going to be dodged? You don't dodge a knife throw if you're not a computer.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:40 pm

"I would actually find that as a rather unwelcome attachment to a martial arts game. I mean, martial arts combined with a little ranged weaponry, but not levels that are focused on ranged battle. That's just me, though."

Yeah, that's just you. Part of the fun of "Levels" is doing different stuff, maybe a close-quarters trench combat in one scene, maybe an epic ranged battle in another. I think one or two ranged fights would be incredibly awesome, a break from the regular gameplay. Kinda like the turret levels in most first-person shooters.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:01 pm

Other people will feel the same as me. Lol. The major appeal of the game is the martial arts.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:44 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Other people will feel the same as me. Lol. The major appeal of the game is the martial arts.
It's like "House Of Flying Daggers," it's a martial arts movie, but there are still bow and arrows in a martial arts movie. Sometimes, there can be situations where shooting someone is much funner than gutting him (or maybe you just don't have the skills to jump 50 feet across a level and tracheotomy someone. And not the medical kind either...).

I like the wind idea, arrows should be shot accurately like in Blackshades, and then twist off course from the wind, or whatever. It would look cool to see a curving arrow miss, rather than, like in Mount and Blade where you're missing just because.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:55 pm

Don't say Oblivion. Please don't say Oblivion. There have been altogether to many comparisons to that game.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:11 pm

MacWiggy wrote:Don't say Oblivion. Please don't say Oblivion. There have been altogether to many comparisons to that game.
So what? If it helps describe something better then why does it matter?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:26 pm

Please pay attention to MW's title and stay on topic :)

I am still not sure if there will be bows and arrows in L2, but if there are they will probably not be extremely important; there are too many fighting games that were messed up by overuse of ranged weapons (Spartan, Mark of Kri, etc.)

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:34 pm

One thing that is Giving me an Itch to say is that Bows/Crossbows/Guns are all affected By the Breathing Cycles of a person shooting.

to add ad more of a Challenge with Bows and other Ranged weapons, the Breathing makes the Bow move up and down and on the Breath out (Lets say you see Turners Shoulder Move Down) is the accurate Shot (it may be the Breath in but i am not 100% on which Breath it is)

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am

They do that in Call of Duty 2. When you're aiming with the sniper rifle, you can hold down a button to hold your breath, and the scope will steady. Otherwise your shaking all aroud.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:20 am

MacWiggy wrote:They do that in Call of Duty 2. When you're aiming with the sniper rifle, you can hold down a button to hold your breath, and the scope will steady. Otherwise your shaking all aroud.
Well then there is Shift for ya. That idea is Settled.

Oh yea. another Idea. I saw this in WC3 and i thought it was cool. and after playing L1 i thought it would so fit. rather than just throwing you're dagger you could have 6 Knifes/Shuriken's (are you going to have Shuriken's? I love the Shuriken) in a way that sends them in random Directions and makes you're enemies fall back a bit to get way. useful if you are in a crowd.

Just a thought, call it Fan of Blades.
i also think that Knifes should not just fly to the Back/ Chest, they could Ham String some one. or Blind some one. oh yea, will there Be Blinding abilities? and can you get blinded?

man I should Stop playing Shadow Warrior.