Dropping weapons and general stealth.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Nervesplitter

Dropping weapons and general stealth.

Post by Nervesplitter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:32 am

With the new stealth stuff and the weapons being a bit bugged I thought about it a bit. When you choke them and it's a complete surprise and they didn't know you were there at all, they should drop their weapon in shock. If they heard you coming or saw you then they'll only drop their weapons once they have died. Maybe you should throw the weapon you're holding (or gently place) on the ground before choking them just so you don't hurt yourself when they struggle, you can pick it up after. And can they fight back a little? It seems as if it's a very easy way to kill, maybe they could try to break free sometimes and you have to quickly press LMB to counter-attack and stop them from escaping. It also seems impossible for me to do this stealth kill unless I turn all enemies peacefull, as soon as they hear me they turn towards me and freeze for a bit, making it hard to sneak behind them and choke them, dunno if it's a bug as their heads are facing the way they swung from making me believe it might be some sort of strange bug. Anyway, that's just what I was thinking, would be nice to see what you guys think.

confused

Re: Dropping weapons and general stealth.

Post by confused » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 pm

It seems as if it's a very easy way to kill ...
It also seems impossible for me to do this stealth kill unless I turn all enemies peacefull ...
it seems like you answered your own question right there :wink:
The stealth kill is very powerful, but therefore it is arguably difficult to apply it. I remember that in the alpha video where the improved sound distance control was introduced, they said that rabbits will be the most difficult to sneak up on because they can hear very well. So i guess the strangling will work better on wolf/dog/cat enemies.
Your idea about the weapon dropping sounds good, that would be a very nice little detail. But i doubt anyone would drop a weapon if he is being strangled, would you ? I would hold onto it and fight for my life, that's the reason why i carried that thing around with me :) Well maybe it could depend on the weapon type if it is dropped in favor of the bare hands.

Nervesplitter

Post by Nervesplitter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 am

confused wrote:
It seems as if it's a very easy way to kill ...
It also seems impossible for me to do this stealth kill unless I turn all enemies peacefull ...
it seems like you answered your own question right there :wink:
The stealth kill is very powerful, but therefore it is arguably difficult to apply it. I remember that in the alpha video where the improved sound distance control was introduced, they said that rabbits will be the most difficult to sneak up on because they can hear very well. So i guess the strangling will work better on wolf/dog/cat enemies.
Your idea about the weapon dropping sounds good, that would be a very nice little detail. But i doubt anyone would drop a weapon if he is being strangled, would you ? I would hold onto it and fight for my life, that's the reason why i carried that thing around with me :) Well maybe it could depend on the weapon type if it is dropped in favor of the bare hands.
I know, but somone's just completely shocked you. If you're not used to enemies being around than it'd be a massive shock. And I mean that it's almost glitched for me, on all the newer videos they are in stun mode then turn round, on mine they turn round in stun mode, making it impossible to do for me. 2 handed weapons like spears shouldn't be dropped as much (that goes with blocking too, right now it's a joke) and I know if I was standing there guarding something and then someone randomly grabs my neck I'd probably drop my weapon from shock (if it was something heavy or small). We still need something to make background noises so I can sneak right up to them.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Nervesplitter wrote:When you choke them and it's a complete surprise and they didn't know you were there at all, they should drop their weapon in shock.
Surprise only causes people to hold on to their weapon tighter. Especially if they are a hardened fighter.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Yup, training is to not drop your weapon. If it was some namby pansy from da city who ain't never held a weapon they'd drop it in shock, but training generally aims to prepare you to be choked from behind. Also, the chokehold is possible, even if the enemies are in surprised mode. Just crouch to get closer, stay behind him and as soon as he turns around run at him and hold right click. I find it really easy to do from a jump. Land behind them, from above, and hold right click and their guaranteed to die.

Nervesplitter

Post by Nervesplitter » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Korban3 wrote:Yup, training is to not drop your weapon. If it was some namby pansy from da city who ain't never held a weapon they'd drop it in shock, but training generally aims to prepare you to be choked from behind. Also, the chokehold is possible, even if the enemies are in surprised mode. Just crouch to get closer, stay behind him and as soon as he turns around run at him and hold right click. I find it really easy to do from a jump. Land behind them, from above, and hold right click and their guaranteed to die.
yeah, I found you have to run at them before they hear.

I guess the citizens we have now could do it seeming they're not war ready.

But knives are horrible to hold onto, seeming they're short and pointy you're more likely to stab yourself than anyone else when you're being choked

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah, you'd have to make sure that your reaction to being grabbed while holding a knife isn't to put your hands to your throat :P
Gives the comma key effect a nice use though.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 pm

This gave me an idea.

If you have a knife, you can choke hold an an enemy and hold out the knife pointing away from their neck. Their reaction will be to reach and try to pull your hands off, but they will just stab themselves! :twisted:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:08 am

:) Are you just trying to make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside?

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 am

Yes. You and only you. I'm a female, so we should start a relationship.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Bwat?! I thought adwuga was a guy!
All my beliefs and thoughts are going to have to be reconsidered now... Hm.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm

LOL JK I AM A GUY TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

But why does that matter? Sexist Asshole.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:48 pm

You don't have to lie to make friends adwuga. Now get in the car. We're going to a dark alley where I can rape you, take your jewelry and leave you in a dumpster for a cop to find the next morning.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:00 am

Not again! Alright... :cry:

This time, can you try to actually overpower me? It's the least you can do, considering I'm a weak, skinny girl.
Last time was pathetic.

Apparently Korban 3 is something to do with slaughtering sheep. Google image it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, fine. I'll use an meat tenderizing hammer this time. Is that better?
Yeah, Korban usually turns up weird search results of bloody things.