New Wolfire website

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:40 pm

the main page doesnt have a scrolling bar while the games page does, this causes things to awkwardly shift a small amount when you switch pages, its very disconcerting on the eyes.

SMNMX

Post by SMNMX » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm

That simply depends on how large your browser window is. For me, both the main and games pages have scroll bars, and the only time I have that "problem" is when I go to the contact page.

I think it's looking very nice, although the fonts are a bit big. Description text (ie non-headlines) should be at a smaller size. Are you going to change the forum and blog color schemes to match the new site?

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:55 pm

SMNMX wrote:That simply depends on how large your browser window is. For me, both the main and games pages have scroll bars, and the only time I have that "problem" is when I go to the contact page.
I am aware, but it is possible to make it not matter the browser size with some careful work, i believe.
SMNMX wrote:Are you going to change the forum and blog color schemes to match the new site?
Already asked and answered, yes:
Jeff wrote:They will be themed after the design is finalized.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:46 pm

Alright, this is getting a little too hard, with like 5000 contradicting opinions. I will make a few CSS so that we can have a side by side comparison.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:48 pm

I hate to be such a stickler, but:

"Wolfire Software develops innovative, independent games, for Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. Started by David Rosen in 2003 in order to unify his game programming contest entries, it has evolved into a cutting edge development studio."

Should be:
"Wolfire Software develops innovative, independent games for Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. Started by David Rosen in 2003 in order to unify his game programming contest entries, it has evolved into a cutting edge development studio." (the comma after the first "games" is gone")

Heh, sorry. It was just bothering me.
I assume that stuff like that would have been picked up, anyway.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:56 pm

Jeff wrote:Alright, this is getting a little too hard, with like 5000 contradicting opinions. I will make a few CSS so that we can have a side by side comparison.
I was thinking that too. Everyone disagrees.
Albab wrote:Heh, sorry. It was just bothering me.
I assume that stuff like that would have been picked up, anyway.
If you want to talk about grammar, "Heh, sorry." isn't a complete sentence, either. Just saying. Well spotted, though. :P

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:20 am

Sah-weet!
Yeah, sans serif is always better for digital media. Though this does not mean logos and stuff should have all-gotesque fonts.

I must say I do like this page better than the old one, actually.
Makes it look more like a professional studio, and less like a personal community :P

Nono, don't get me wrong, the old one was neat too, but to me, the new one looks like a great step ahead.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:20 am

I think the new layout looks a lot more professional, though with perhaps less character than the old one :P

I vote ok for the new font- Lucida is good. Perhaps a little big, though?

In unrelated news, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the hell Turner is holding in the pic below the movie on the main page:

In other unrelated news, France is in the soccer final [happy rabbit squeak]

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:17 am

I'm not really too concerned about the appropriateness of certain fonts for each aspect, but I suppose that's just me. It seems a bit pointless.

France - Italy will be a great final. Any pairing out of Argentina, Spain, France, Italy or Germany would have been quite a great final.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Silb wrote:I think the new layout looks a lot more professional, though with perhaps less character than the old one :P

I vote ok for the new font- Lucida is good. Perhaps a little big, though?

In unrelated news, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the hell Turner is holding in the pic below the movie on the main page:

In other unrelated news, France is in the soccer final [happy rabbit squeak]
A weaponized carrot?

Germany is out of the running.. :( :'( :(

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 pm

zip wrote: Germany is out of the running.. :( :'( :(
I'm also sorry for the german team since they really rocked the tournament before.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Silb wrote:In unrelated news, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the hell Turner is holding in the pic below the movie on the main page:
http://wolfire.com/new/turner.gif
I don't see this pic on the main page? am i missing something, although i do agree it is a funny pic.

I cant seem to click on the main movie to get a nicer color version like the other two videos or like the old site. Why is this?

edit: spelling
Last edited by Eric on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:09 pm

It's the background for the floating boxes, drawn by ninjas.
I cant seem to click on the main movie to get a nier color version like the other two videos or like the old site. Why is this?
Whoops... bug.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:44 pm

o wow i didnt even see that picture, i thought it was just a non uniform tan box

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:11 am

I played around some time with the site, and came up with this:

Sorry, it's a pic - apparently, just about every free hosting service out there is blocked from the Chinese network... which is not so surprising.

The top banner is just for kicks, but I like the fonts like this.