Questions about the Wolfire store

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Nikolaj

Questions about the Wolfire store

Post by Nikolaj » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Hello there. Earlier today I saw an update on Rock Paper Shotgun about a game called Kenshi. In the comments some people mentioned Overgrowth, which I then decided to check out. It looks very interesting, and I'm tempted to pre-order it, but I thought I should try Lugaru (hadn't heard about this game, either) first, just to get a feeling for how I might like Overgrowth.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about how the Wolfire store works. I see that Lugaru is available on Steam, and in the faq it says that those who pre-order Overgrowth will receive Steam codes, once the game is released. So if I buy Lugaru on your website, will I be able to add it to my Steam account? If not, will it be possible to re-download my game from your site, in case my computer blows up?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Also, as an aside, I thought I should mention that the Overgrowth site doesn't offer a whole lot of information to people who haven't played Lugaru, and don't know what kind of games these are. Frankly, I got more info from reading the wikipedia article on the game. It might be a good idea to put up a bit of the basic information that most people on these forums probably take for granted, if you want to market the game to people who haven't played the first one.

Endoperez

Re: Questions about the Wolfire store

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 pm

I think the Overgrowth preorders to Steam thing is a special deal they negotiated with Valve, and doesn't apply to Lugaru. I'm not sure, though.

You're right about there not being much info. They did write this two years ago, but it's not mentioned in the FAQ and it could use some updating now that combat is starting to shape up.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/what-is-overgrowth/

Also, I'm not sure what you've read, but the biggest thing about Lugaru's (and Overgrowth's) combat system, at least to me, is the fluid controls. The same key results in different attacks in different situations. So the skills that allow you to get better hits are related to controlling distance, timing your attacks with your movement and reacting to enemy attacks. The feeling after performing a perfect counter or a nasty combo is very different than, say, a long combo in button masher fighting game.

Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks for the answer. It's too bad about Steam, but not that big a deal to me, if the Wolfire store allows for re-downloading games, that is. I don't suppose you know anything about that?

Thanks for the link to that video. It's interesting, but a lot of it seems to be about all the different editors that come with the game. It almost gives the impression that the game is mostly a sandbox. I hope that's not the case.

I did read something about the combat, and I watched a video somewhere that made it look absolutely awesome. I hope there's some sort of story too, though, since I'm afraid I might lose interest rather fast otherwise. At least, that's how it usually goes for me. :)

Anyway, I just tried downloading the demo for Lugaru, to get me going untill I figure out how exactly the Wolfire store works, and it seems that the link for the demo just leads to the purchase screen. In the end, I had to download it from gamefront.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Nikolaj wrote:Anyway, I just tried downloading the demo for Lugaru, to get me going untill I figure out how exactly the Wolfire store works, and it seems that the link for the demo just leads to the purchase screen. In the end, I had to download it from gamefront.
That is a bug -- I will fix that shortly!

Once you purchase the game you can download it as much as you'd like, (it uses the same system as the Humble Bundle).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Nikolaj wrote:Thanks for the link to that video. It's interesting, but a lot of it seems to be about all the different editors that come with the game. It almost gives the impression that the game is mostly a sandbox. I hope that's not the case.
Two years ago, when that was written, there was no fighting.

Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I'll buy it straight away, then. I just played the demo a bit and liked it, and since I have a bit of cash to spare, I guess I'll jump on that pre-order thing, too.

@Endoperez: ah, I see. They should probably do an updated introductory video, and stick on the Overgrowth site, like you said. I'm sure that'd go a long way towards explaining what's going on, to newbies such as myself. :)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:41 pm

You know, I'd like to see Aubrey put an Alpha Trailer together. I mean, they've got lots of cool update videos, but nothing really trailery for the OG site itself. At least, if they're not too busy to put one together.