Human Characters

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
SpoonTheMan

Human Characters

Post by SpoonTheMan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:34 pm

It would be nice to have human characters as a choice, I'm not that big on playing as animals too often.

Ragdollmaster

Re: Human Characters

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:01 pm

This has been suggested and debated countless times. It's not happening from Wolfire. They're sticking to using anthropomorphized animals, for several reasons. First, it sticks with the style set by Lugaru, Overgrowth's spiritual predecessor. Second, Overgrowth melee combat features some pretty graphic violence- maybe not quite Mortal Kombat levels of over-the-top graphic violence, but it's gritty and brutal. It's a bit easier to swallow with cartoonized characters rather than portrayals of humans. Thirdly, the graphical assets- models, textures, concept art, etc- that they've spent so long working on would have to be all but scrapped. Fourthly, the five different races of characters in the game all play their roles in combat and the civilization and so forth- it'd be troublesome having to rewrite all of that and come up with replacements.

Basically, they had their reasons for picking animal characters to begin with, and they're certainly not going to switch over to humans after they've put this much effort into them.

However, while first-party content likely won't provide what you're looking for, keep in mind that Overgrowth is very moddable and somebody may release a human characters mod when the game is released- heck, if you have the skills for it, you could even try to make a humanization mod yourself :)

last

Post by last » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:09 pm

this mod is allready done here is a preview video of it. and yes you can have humans in Overgrowth. and if you want you can replace all models with humans without modyfing script files. just easy rename of a file will make the trick to replace all levels that are useing this type of model you had before. http://youtu.be/EjLiftqIiyU

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:30 am

The way the legs move...

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 am

Yes, the leg movement is a little strange. Many animals legs have a different structure that humans. There are plantigrade (Human) Digitigrade (Dogs, Cats, Rabbits) and Unguligrades (Horses, Deer, Goats).
digi_planti_compare.png
Because digitigrade has a longer metatarsal than in plantigrade mammals, the animations is a little funny when applied to a human character. It leaves the ankle-corresponding joint much higher in the leg than in a human as well. Digitrade mammals also are generally faster and quieter than plantigrade. That's why dog's can be so fast and cats so sneaky.
Unguligrades walk on the very end of the feet, like a human ballerina does. They are usually hooved because leaving such weighty creatures on their toes 24/7 with paw pads for fleshy soles would crush the bottom of the foot, so hooves came around to protect them.
To sum it up, because Overgrowth has animal characters with digitigrade leg structure, the human characters have to work with that rig and get some awkward stuff happening, although EdT did a very good job of keeping those oddities to a minimum.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 am

In the end, wanting to play as a Human in Overgrowth seems to be missing the point.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:17 pm

+1

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm

ಠ_ಠ
So... you'd like to get rid of the basic premise of Overgrowth because you're not "big" on playing as animals? Wha... who.... why the fuck do you think "hmm I'd love to play this game as a human" when you stumble upon a game which basic premise is playing as animals? It's like... portal 2 without portals but only the fluids.... why?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 pm

ಠ_ಠ
You... your actually read the post right?
"In the end, wanting to play as a Human in Overgrowth seems to be missing the point."
"+1"

Overgrowth is about animal characters. Wanting human characters instead probably means you've missed the point.
Reading is for people who want to say something partially coherent and relevant, kiddos! Not that it ever helped adwuga or anything.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey! I've read almost everything that has been read by me, and I always know what I'm talking about, and it's always "coherent and relevant". It's just relevant in a way too convoluted for the average person to understand. For example, if I were to post "Ogres are like tomatoes," in this thread, it is obviously (to me) a reference to the quote "Ogres are like onions," and my change in the quote ruins the purpose of the quote, because tomatoes are not layered, like Ogres and onions, just like humans would defeat the purpose of Overgrowth. It's just so obvious that I don't take the time to explain it.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Whoops, didn't mean to quote myself and post it, and I can't delete this for some reason, sorry.
Last edited by adwuga on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Uberbeard wrote:In the end, wanting to play as a Human in Overgrowth seems to be missing the point.
The entire point of the games isn't to play as animals or anything like that as I see it, it's to have a very neat fighting system with some fun jumping added in, animals are merely a good way to avoid the uncanny valley, they just happen to also be cool and allow jumping and whatnot, but there's no problem with wanting to play as a human in the games since the entire point I'd say isn't centered around playing as an anthropomorphic animals.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30 pm

It's still a bit part of the games, there are plenty of nifty fighting mechanics to explore with humans in games that aren't Overgrowth.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 am

certainly it's a part of the game, but I wouldn't define it as integral, and it's doubtful that people who are averse to playing as animals would think it integral either.

Doggyhugger

Post by Doggyhugger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:23 pm

I would like to see humans in the game, but NOT as characters but as some kind of backround species, like the race from assasin's creed or the Proteans from Mass Effect.
I think the plot could be like this: The wolves are trying to unhearth a ruin that has been buried underground a long time ago, and contains some "phat lewt", the protagonist, for some reason, tries to stop them. At the end of the game, it is revealed that the ruins are actually a bunker filled with books and records that describe how mankind created the anthropomorphic animals and, (surprise, surprise), the latter revolt and the ensuing war ends with the humans being brought into extintion, and the world devolving into a medieval age. At the very end, the protagonist opens a chamber and finds out the "phat lewt" to be: FIRE WEAPONRY! And so leaves the chance for overgrowth 2.
It may not make much sense but, hey! It's a fantasy tale!