What is the gameplay of OG like?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
megalokiman

What is the gameplay of OG like?

Post by megalokiman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi, I am going to get overgrowth (hopefully) in a month :?: . Is there anything specific about overgrowth I should know? Thanks!

(Im wondering what the gameplay of OG is like, Im so excited i cant wait to get it too know! :D Thanks again!)

Sorry if this is the wrong topic for this, but I wasn't sure where else too post this! :oops:

Macrauchenia

Re: What is the gameplay of OG like?

Post by Macrauchenia » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:49 pm

It's incredibly fast-paced, maybe even frustratingly so at first. It really takes some getting used to, but it is very rewarding when you do.

Sushin

Post by Sushin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:01 am

The fighting is a bit fast but it's more strategic and calculated to me. You have to time your blocks and rolls from when you get hit. It seems imbalanced right now, as a single drop kick kills just about anything in one hit and is unblockable. Weapons are similarly imbalanced and the health is confusing. It takes 6 knife slashes from the dog knife to kill, but if you give a wolf a knife he instantly become less threatening since he can't kick and his kicks usually kill in one hit. Seems like they have a lot of work to do yet, and you are going to run out of things to do pretty fast until then, since all you can actually do is fighting or platforming with user made maps.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:56 pm

But then again, there are over 115 user created levels and counting, so there should be a fair amount of stuff for you to do if you get SUMLauncher and download Anton's Main Menu Mod to get the levels.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:03 am

There are several things you should probably take notes on:
First, the unarmed combat is fast and fluid. Typical one-on-one fights last short amounts of time and depending on the parameters of your opponent can be either easy or challenging. Your character cannot take many hits an neither can your opponents. You only have one attack button (left-click by default) and your attacks will be determined by both your position and movement.
Second, the weapon-based combat is a little more intense. Typical AI like to play defensively when branching weapons, because most weapons (save for all the knifes and the dog spear) are one-hit-kill. Again you only have one attack button and attacks will be determined by position and movement.
Third, the platforming is parkour-based, except your character is a rabbit and has the leg strength of thirty normal humans. So expect a lot of leaping over impossible chasms and climbing walls three times your height. The best platforming level to start with is the Red Pillars.

(P.S. hammer that shift key)

FlyingShisno

Post by FlyingShisno » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 pm

They're going for more realism in OG, so countering/blocking in OG is a bit different than Lugaru. Block is on the right mouse button, so an unarmed attack to your upper body will be blocked if you press it in time(the window of opportunity is pretty large). To counter, you must press the attack button right after a successful block, and the counters are the same as reversals from Lugaru. To block a leg sweep, it is done the same way as above.

Leg cannon works differently in OG also. First jump to a decent height, then click the attack button near the enemy. You can also just jump and click the attack button like crazy. Also make sure you are high enough off the ground, or you'll fall and maybe break your neck. The attack is also sometimes canceled if you're too close to the ground.

Edit: Fixed my mistakes. I thought you had to end your flip near the enemy before you attack, and I also thought that the flip was required. I also thought that you had to crouch to block a leg sweep. Sorry to anyone who took that advice.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Nice post, very clear and understandable explaination.
But to counter an attack you just have to hold down the block key.

FlyingShisno

Post by FlyingShisno » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am

Really? Whenever I hold the block key he tenses up for a second. I just assumed it had to be timed right.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 am

No, you're right. You have to time it properly for it to work.