Unknownx09

Multiplayer is out?

Post by Unknownx09 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 am

Just saw this is it treu really?!!!! :
http://www.moddb.com/games/overgrowth/n ... er-browser

Endoperez

Re: Multiplayer is out?

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:37 am

It is a browser. A screen that lists servers... Quake servers.

There are no Overgrowth multiplayer servers, but since the guy who does user interfaces and stuff had time, he did this kind of stuff. Now, if they ever decide to do multiplayer with servers, this browser will be ready.

Also, this is from 2009.

Unknownx09

Post by Unknownx09 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:55 am

Endoperez wrote:It is a browser. A screen that lists servers... Quake servers.

There are no Overgrowth multiplayer servers, but since the guy who does user interfaces and stuff had time, he did this kind of stuff. Now, if they ever decide to do multiplayer with servers, this browser will be ready.

Also, this is from 2009.
Ow i really wanna punch my self rigth now i hope they really add multiplayer i really hope so Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11 pm

ee1213

Post by ee1213 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Saedz wrote:I suggest you read this post

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Px ... Jgs-E/edit
Sorry to necro, but I find your above post needlessly discouraging.

1) Minecraft had successful multiplayer even with only one dev during the Alpha. Granted, the combat system is far more complex here, but it's almost rude to imply that they can't pull it off.

2) Since when did "needing to prioritize" mean ditching things from the development path entirely. Sure, it may come late, but trying to kill it completely is just silly.

3) See 1.

4) See 1, and add: At the end of the day, we're still talking about collision detection. Lag will impact combat when using a bad connection, but for the most part client physics-calculated model placement should be able to be sent quickly over an MP server setup.

5) The experience compared to multiplayer? It's obvious that YOU only care about single player. I, for one, would love to have a server and host it for years to come for all of my friends, and see that potential as expanding MY experience. MY experience doesn't hurt your desire to eff around in single player all day long. Dark Souls is a great example of a game ENHANCED by the presence of multiplayer, EVEN with its many issues.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Yoyo, an welcome to the forums. Just as an FYI, that google docs document was written by Johannes, not Sed.

1) Anyway, the point of the document is that multiplayer is way harder to implement than most people think, especially for a game like Overgrowth. Comparing the problems of networking between Minecraft and Overgrowth doesn't really lead anywhere; the challenges presented by the two are simply too different in nature, see 3).

2) The thing about prioritizing really comes down to the (final impact)/(dev time) ratio described in the document. You might argue that "Hey, final impact of multiplayer would be really, REALLY large!", and I would agree, however, the dev time would be really, REALLY long as well. Sure, the developers could release a half-assed multiplayer game that would work in very special circumstances, but that really strives against what Wolfire is aiming for: innovative indie games of high quality.

As for 3) and 4): From my knowledge, Overgrowth is currently designed to be a singleplayer game, meaning that compromises that have to be made for a multiplayer mode haven't been planned for nor implemented. This would result in a lengthy SP->MP converion, something that games like minecraft never had, since MP was planned all along. Furthermore, synchronizing active ragdolls over network feasibly isn't something you just whip up, especially when characters switch from controlled to ragdolled stances and back as fast as they do in OG.

5) Everyone wants Overgrowth to have multiplayer, don't worry about that. I'd suggest you read parts of the document again.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 pm

I'd also like to mention that part of Wolfire's effort on Desperate Gods for Fuck This Jam was to get their feet wet with multiplayer framework and such.

Even if multiplayer doesn't come out for a year or so after the OG release i wouldn't really be too upset, I just want to see the game released.

So much modding will be done that one will probably be entertained for a good while. I played Lugaru for years and this will be monumental in comparison.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I don't know if this post counts but meh...
Usually, games are divided into 2: Multiplayer and Singleplayer
The most common event is that these are 2 separate games, ex: AC:Brotherhood SP and MP are very different from one another, even if they look similar. They do have the same base, but the codes that are made afterwards which rule the world aren't the same.
You can make 2 games to have the best experience on both gameplay types, or make the whole online thing on top of the single player world.

Just sayin

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:33 pm

I wish too multiplayer and server browser. Indeed this multiplayer gives more fun time to customers.

ee1213

Post by ee1213 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:52 am

SteelRaven7 wrote:Yoyo, an welcome to the forums. Just as an FYI, that google docs document was written by Johannes, not Sed.

1) Anyway, the point of the document is that multiplayer is way harder to implement than most people think, especially for a game like Overgrowth. Comparing the problems of networking between Minecraft and Overgrowth doesn't really lead anywhere; the challenges presented by the two are simply too different in nature, see 3).

2) The thing about prioritizing really comes down to the (final impact)/(dev time) ratio described in the document. You might argue that "Hey, final impact of multiplayer would be really, REALLY large!", and I would agree, however, the dev time would be really, REALLY long as well. Sure, the developers could release a half-assed multiplayer game that would work in very special circumstances, but that really strives against what Wolfire is aiming for: innovative indie games of high quality.

As for 3) and 4): From my knowledge, Overgrowth is currently designed to be a singleplayer game, meaning that compromises that have to be made for a multiplayer mode haven't been planned for nor implemented. This would result in a lengthy SP->MP converion, something that games like minecraft never had, since MP was planned all along. Furthermore, synchronizing active ragdolls over network feasibly isn't something you just whip up, especially when characters switch from controlled to ragdolled stances and back as fast as they do in OG.

5) Everyone wants Overgrowth to have multiplayer, don't worry about that. I'd suggest you read parts of the document again.
I agree with most of what you say. *tips hat*

Just want to add--

1) I could (and have) compared Dark Souls multiplayer to Overgrowth, since most of the MP data will be targetting/clipping/positioning information. Dark Souls works keenly (albeit with lag for reasons that have no bearing on OG). Minecraft does present different problems with regards to multiplayer, but at the end of the day, Minecraft has more data to deal with (dictated by # of blocks) and works nicely. (Java helps, too.) I acknowledge fully that MC has MP in mind, as I was an alpha supporter there, too.

2) I made mention of wanting to see MP, if much much later, than a solid SP release. As underthedeep said, I'd be cool with it being a year(s) later thing, dev'ed separately.

3-4) I disagree. Multiplayer does not have to impact single player in any any any way, engine mechanics or otherwise. Things will need to be dealt with differently from the start (slow-motion being the most readily available example). Different executable + server in the mix = totally different product with a totally different development path. I think RetardedUsername is right on that one...

Thanks for the reply again. Totally glad to see everyone wants to see it happen (be it within reach yet or not). :3

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:19 am

ee1213 wrote:3-4) I disagree. Multiplayer does not have to impact single player in any any any way, engine mechanics or otherwise. Things will need to be dealt with differently from the start (slow-motion being the most readily available example). Different executable + server in the mix = totally different product with a totally different development path. I think
I can't think of a game that'd have singleplayer and multiplayer separated into different executables done using different engine code. The original X-Com from 1994 had the world map ("Geoscape") and the battle engine in separate executables with different internal logic, so I guess someone might have tried doing something like that... but I'm rather doubtful.