Overgrowth's Storyline Vs Lugaru's

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Overgrowth's Storyline Vs Lugaru's

Post by Dammasta » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:13 am

When I played Lugaru, plot twists came like curves in a mountain road (And where about as shocking and thought provoking as making those curves at 5 mph). So, will Overgrowth be any different? Will its story line be deeper? Recent games that have come out, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us and Halo 4, have all had pretty deep plots that the guys at Wolfire could look at and use as a guideline... So... What do you guys think?

Endoperez

Re: Overgrowth's Storyline Vs Lugaru's

Post by Endoperez » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

The games you mentioned had people dedicated to just writing them. They had directors and storytellers. Matching them would be challenging for anyone. Check out the Overgrowth comic, where they practiced their storytelling, to see what sort of stuff you should expect.

http://www.wolfire.com/comic

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:26 am

The vibes I've been getting lately is that there might not even be a proper storyline in the game at all, just skirmish and challenge modes and maybe some kind of multiplayer.

I hope I'm wrong of course, and that there will be a deep well written entertaining single player storyline and proper PvP multiplayer, as those are the features that would make it into a "real" game in my view.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Ylvali wrote:The vibes I've been getting lately is that there might not even be a proper storyline in the game at all, just skirmish and challenge modes and maybe some kind of multiplayer.
Where the hell did you get that from? I'm pretty sure that is completely wrong and there will be a very well written story.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:15 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
Ylvali wrote:The vibes I've been getting lately is that there might not even be a proper storyline in the game at all, just skirmish and challenge modes and maybe some kind of multiplayer.
Where the hell did you get that from? I'm pretty sure that is completely wrong and there will be a very well written story.
The vibe I think came from the alpha 198 : where he talks about the arena and raider mode, and how they want to try and reach beta this year, but NEVER mentioned anything about a story or anything like that. By the video it sounds like there are only going to be the arena, raider, and challenge levels. At first I thought this, but now have a bit more confidence that it will come because of this tweet: https://twitter.com/Wolfire/status/369558343037104129

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 pm

It has been clear from the very start that at Overgrowth's core there will be a campaign with a full fledged story.
The other modes are only there to test features, because they focus on one aspect of the game. They might end up being additional game modes, but nowhere ever have the developers said that they would ditch the story.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:47 pm

I got the exact same vibes Ylvali got - they only mentioned the fighting in there, not the plot or campaign. It could've been an oversight, but if so, it was an unfortunate, misleading one.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Endoperez wrote:I got the exact same vibes Ylvali got - they only mentioned the fighting in there, not the plot or campaign. It could've been an oversight, but if so, it was an unfortunate, misleading one.
I just don't think you guys are paying attention. Think about Aubrey's ideas of blending different art styles for cutscenes and then having that art style in the background of levels to allude to that art style being for areas that the player can't interact with. So shush.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:44 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
Endoperez wrote:I got the exact same vibes Ylvali got - they only mentioned the fighting in there, not the plot or campaign. It could've been an oversight, but if so, it was an unfortunate, misleading one.
I just don't think you guys are paying attention. Think about Aubrey's ideas of blending different art styles for cutscenes and then having that art style in the background of levels to allude to that art style being for areas that the player can't interact with. So shush.
It was misleading non the less. :wink:

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 am

Peevish:
So, wait... does this mean no story mode? Or is that a silly question?
David:
I would like to integrate story into the arena and raider mode, since procedural narrative really seems like a more interesting and feasible space to explore than linear cutscenes: more like FTL or Mount & Blade, and less like God of War or Max Payne.
Not entirely sure what to make of it, but as I said I'm hoping for an immersive storyline just like has been hinted at in the past. It's just that when you talk a lot about something for a long time, like the single player campaign or the different races and the suddenly stop talking about those things...well sometimes that's a way to try and step down on those features without saying so out loud.

From long past blogs I'd expect all the races with full blown cities, culture and civilians, integration in a big single player campaign and so on. But now when those things aren't mentioned anymore I don't know if those are certain features or not. I suppose this might just be bad experience from being in other beta processes, I wen't through the elemental debacle where all sorts of amazing features were promised, and in the end it wasn't even playable and didn't include any of the promised features I was exited about.

Now Overgrowth has already delivered much more in the alpha than elemental did in what they called a finished game, so obviously there is no reason to expect something like that. But I'm not anticipating all the things that looked like given promises a few years back.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 am

Those who have followed the blog closely in the past might be more familiar with the idea than others: The dev team have in the blog explicitly stated that they will be holding back any art assets or speculation on the going of the story, so nothing will be spoiled.

I am dead certain that they have a wondrous story up their sleeve which will definitely satisfy if not blow us away on the day of release. The 'no-story' vibe you've been receiving is not because there is a lack of story, but rather because, at this point, the story is top secret classified material.
The suspense is delicious.

akazi

Post by akazi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Glabbit wrote:Those who have followed the blog closely in the past might be more familiar with the idea than others: The dev team have in the blog explicitly stated that they will be holding back any art assets or speculation on the going of the story, so nothing will be spoiled.
Ah yes I remember reading that now.

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Glabbit wrote:I am dead certain that they have a wondrous story up their sleeve which will definitely satisfy if not blow us away on the day of release. The 'no-story' vibe you've been receiving is not because there is a lack of story, but rather because, at this point, the story is top secret classified material.
The suspense is delicious.

I certainly hope so, I like the idea of keeping the story secret till the release.